Re: Death/Imprisonment

    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 2, 2004
      Oh, well... I guess I forgot to say welcome. Anyways, Danielle, I did
      not mean to imply that everyone here was familiar with the particular
      allegory you offered (some may be, others may not), but that the
      members here are familiar with the principle of allegorical method in
      general, and thus we are with you on that point. I then go on to ask
      the extended question as to how YOU see allegory as applied to texts
      that are specifically Gnostic in scope.

      I guess that brings us to the question you bring up... are we here to
      deal with specific texts? The answer is yes and no. This club is
      designed to deal with "traditional" Gnosticism.... that is to say,
      Gnosticism as it is historically defined (as well as directly related
      historical movements and how we see them in our modern context). So,
      while we do tend to fucus on the Nag Hammadi Library, the Pistis
      Sophia, the Bruce Codex, and various fragments, we do sometimes talk
      about non-Gnostic texts like the Kephelia, or even people like Philo,
      Clement, Marcion... etc. Sometimes we have even compared modern
      groups to Historical Gnosticism to see how close or far they are from
      the traditional category, and we have talked about our own
      experiences in life and how they may or may not be similar to these
      ancient people (notice though that the traditional aspect is always
      present).

      As far as disliking "having such a response", I don't know what to
      say except that we do try to challenge each other a bit to reapply
      our ideas to other contexts. To add to this, part of my job as
      a "mod" here it to insert little questions now and again to help
      maintain focus. Hope you will find the focus of this club interesting
      even if you feel it is a bit constricting, or inversely challenging,
      in some way.

      While the technical definition that this club uses for "Gnosticism"
      excludes any modern group from the actual category of "Gnostic", we
      do have a number of people here who employ a wider definition and are
      members of modern groups closely resembling historical Gnostic
      groups. This is welcome as well, and if the group you are a member of
      is similar to historical Gnosticism, you may find our historical
      focus very interesting. Have fun!!!!

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Danielle George"

      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 7, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Blissful Branches
        <blissful_branches@y...> wrote:
        > Thanks for clearing those things up for me. Aside from being new
        to the group, please note that I do need to do quite a bit of
        reading. I also agree that Kundalini & Gnosticism are not two of the
        same, but merely conveying that the Gospels Thomas and Philip had
        certain qualities that remind me of Kundalini.

        > Please be patient with me.
        >
        > All the best,
        > Bliss

        Hey Bliss.

        Forgive me for not looking back in the earlier messages, but I'm
        hoping you were the one who had questions about how it was decided
        which books made it into the Bible. Here's a link that covers the
        canonization process:

        http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4R_Articles/Canon/canon.htm

        I hate that it looks like you may have to cut and paste one letter to
        make that work, but you may find it interesting enough to make it
        worth the bother.