Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Some Thoughts About Mel Gibson's Film & The Church

  • Blissful Branches
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 2, 2004
      Dear Lady Carita,
      Thank you so much for your input, it is most appreciated.  It has been somewhat hectic here on my end, which is why I am just getting back to you now.
      Yes, you are quite correct in saying that I have been taught the orthodox Christian way.  However, to me, there was always something empty and questionable about it all, whilst growing up.  For instance, what was Jesus doing during his 20's, where did He go?  India?  Also, why were the other apostles,Thomas & Philip not included within the New Testament?   Thoughts and possibly subtle answers to these questions have come to mind during times of stillness, but, it has been over the last three to four years, through Kundalini Yoga, research, & word of mouth that has led me to come across information relating to Gnosis, The Cathars & other info relating to the real truth, as well as, the corruption of the Catholic Church, both past and present. These revelations have always lingered in the back of my mind, thus making sense to me.
      There is still the mystery behind Jesus's death, and am open to learning more about the Gnostic view of His death.  The Cathars believed that Jesus was an apparition and not of flesh.  In addition, their belief, is that if one became "Perfected" in this lifetime, one would no longer spend future lifetimes being reincarnated here on earth.  However, I've always felt that The Christ was incarnated into Jesus's body, in order for Him to convey God's message, which is that of not attaching ourselves to the materialistic bondages of the earthly realm.
      Thank you for the parable and the links you offer, I will refer to them.  Your thoughts on any of this would be openly accepted.
      Many thanks,
      All in all, based on my readings (I've listed the books below),
      these periods of time were considered blood baths due to Man's
      inhumanity to man.  It is my sincere belief that this was not
      Christ's message, to hurt one another in the name of religion or

      Hi, Bliss.  I certainly also believe this was not Christ's message.

      However, it is my understanding that His death was prophecized to
      happen the way it did, in order to
      >  fulfill the prophecy and to bring salvation to mankind.

      This is an orthodox Christian belief.  Salvation for Gnostics was
      through Gnosis and was not about emphasis on vicarious atonement for
      man's sins through a physical sacrifice on a cross.

      >> Hollywood continues to pump these films out, whether we like it or
      not.  However, we as individuals have that choice to either see the
      gory details, or not.  The question I ask myself is what can I do
      >>about it all?

      Good question.

      > Christ's ultimate message was about Love.  "Love one another as I
      have Loved you."  He also believed in one Universal God who is loving
      and merciful to all.  Thus, it is my belief that all of our faiths
      are connected to a Universal God, Whose intention I believe it is for
      us to learn from our experiences in this life on Earth and to help
      one another, and not be filled with deceit, revenge, or hate.  The
      very vices that is so very subtlely impossed on us through different
      forms of media, thus turning us away from the ultimate goal, which is
      to Love.

      Bliss, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you come from an
      orthodox Christian understanding of Christ and God.  Love is
      certainly important, yet consider this parable, an agriculture
      metaphor, from _The Gospel of Philip_:

      "The agriculture of the world results from four things: a successful
      harvest results from water, earth, air, and light.  And the
      agriculture of god likewise results from four things: faith, hope,
      love, and acquaintance.  Our earth in which we take root is faith.
      Water, by which [we are nourished], is hope.  Air, by which we grow,
      is love.  And light [is] acquaintance, by which we [ripen to

      Acquaintance (or Gnosis) is the ultimate key.

      > As for the books I've read, they are as follows:  'A World Lit Only
      by Fire' by William Manchester, 'The Perfect Heresy' by Stephen
      O'Shea.  I shortly plan to read 'The Gnostic Gospels' by Elaine

      Bliss, also feel free to investigate suggestions in our "links"

      I'm not sure if you're already familiar with  http://gnosis.org/
      This website has some excellent articles, taped lectures, online
      ancient texts (including the Nag Hammadi writings), and book
      suggestions, among them, Elaine Pagels' more recent book, _Beyond
      Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas_.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bliss.

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 7, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Blissful Branches
        <blissful_branches@y...> wrote:
        > Thanks for clearing those things up for me. Aside from being new
        to the group, please note that I do need to do quite a bit of
        reading. I also agree that Kundalini & Gnosticism are not two of the
        same, but merely conveying that the Gospels Thomas and Philip had
        certain qualities that remind me of Kundalini.
        > Please be patient with me.
        > All the best,
        > Bliss

        Hey Bliss.

        Forgive me for not looking back in the earlier messages, but I'm
        hoping you were the one who had questions about how it was decided
        which books made it into the Bible. Here's a link that covers the
        canonization process:

        I hate that it looks like you may have to cut and paste one letter to
        make that work, but you may find it interesting enough to make it
        worth the bother.