Just passing through...

  • Raven Skydancer
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
      ...this lifetime and happy to be here. I was born into a Pagan
      Family, raised by a maternal Grandfather who was a full blood
      Blackfoot Indian and who walked the Path of a Shaman... I lived with
      him in the Summertime... My Paternal Grandmother was a seventh
      generation Witch of the Celtic discipline, I lived with her in the
      Winter time... So I grew up thinking I had the best of two
      worlds...and I did. Just lucky I guess.

      My Grandfather taught me to "Listen to the Wind... because Spirit
      speaks softly from the silence of my own within..." It was a great
      lesson to me... and I still "Listen."

      My Grand Mother taught me to use all the paraphernalia of
      Witchcraft... Then she taught me that the only power in
      Paraphernailia... comes from the Power of My own God Self within
      me... What can I say? My Magick works for me...

      Namaste, Sky
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        Hey Skydancer

        Of course your interests in Witchcraft and Shamanism has inritched
        your life, but I am curious where you see traditional Gnostic study
        fitting into this curious mix? Perhaps you could tell us a bit about
        what your understanding is of Gnosticism. Are you new to the subject?
        Or an old battlehand?

        PMCV

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Raven Skydancer"
        <skydancer26@y...> wrote:
        > ...this lifetime and happy to be here. I was born into a Pagan
        > Family, raised by a maternal Grandfather who was a full blood
        > Blackfoot Indian and who walked the Path of a Shaman... I lived
        with
        > him in the Summertime... My Paternal Grandmother was a seventh
        > generation Witch of the Celtic discipline, I lived with her in the
        > Winter time... So I grew up thinking I had the best of two
        > worlds...and I did. Just lucky I guess.
        >
        > My Grandfather taught me to "Listen to the Wind... because Spirit
        > speaks softly from the silence of my own within..." It was a great
        > lesson to me... and I still "Listen."
        >
        > My Grand Mother taught me to use all the paraphernalia of
        > Witchcraft... Then she taught me that the only power in
        > Paraphernailia... comes from the Power of My own God Self within
        > me... What can I say? My Magick works for me...
        >
        > Namaste, Sky
      • Raven Skydancer
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
          PMCV, Nice to meet you, 'so to speak...' Wink. In answer to your
          questions;

          We all come from somewhere, from something, so I am proud of where I
          came from...Witchcraft and Shamanism.

          In my Post 9245 (New Member) "After reading your "Description". I
          decided that there was much to be learned here..." So I have come
          here to learn...

          My interests in 'Gnosis' first popped up a few years ago while
          reading "Holy Blood Holy Grail" Coming across the Cathars and the
          Albirgensian Crusade... the last offical Roman Catholic Crusade, that
          lasted some 40 years and devastated the Lanquedoc... wiping out
          practically the whole population of the Cathars and their practice
          of "Gnosis".

          Looking into "The Gnostic Gospels', by Elaine Pagels... One of my
          favorite quotes, "gnosticism is first of all a pre-christian movement
          which had its roots in itself... It is therefore to be understood ...
          in its terms , and not as an offshoot or by-product of the Christian
          religion."

          My Grandmother, the Witch, taught me Seven Principles based on the
          Hermetic Philosophy and setforth in a book called "The Kybalion"...by
          Three Intiates... You might say I am also a student of Hermeticism...
          (Hermes Trismegistus)...

          "Understanding of Gnosticism,' Yes, you might say I am new to the
          subject...

          Does this background in Witchcraft and Shamanism somehow makes me an
          undesirable... in your group...

          Your curiosity; "I am curious where you see tradtional 'Gonostic
          Study' fitting into this 'curious mix'?"

          Hummm, let me ask you a question, please; Do you discriminate
          against Witches and Native Americans...in Gnostic studies? Smile. I
          can't understand this strange curiosity, perhaps you feel I am not up
          to your higher intellectual standards due to my heritage... Smile Do
          you have this same curiosity concerning Judo-Chrtistians, Muslims,
          Buddhists... Smile? I feel such an interogation amounts to exacting
          a Chatechism... of sorts...

          Namaste, Sky

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
            Golly, Skydancer....

            You state....

            >>>Hummm, let me ask you a question, please; Do you discriminate
            against Witches and Native Americans...in Gnostic studies? Smile. I
            can't understand this strange curiosity, perhaps you feel I am not up
            to your higher intellectual standards due to my heritage... Smile Do
            you have this same curiosity concerning Judo-Chrtistians, Muslims,
            Buddhists... Smile? I feel such an interogation amounts to exacting
            a Chatechism... of sorts...<<<

            It seems to me *smile* that we are witnessing *smile* a bit of a
            martyr complex *smile*. No, we do not look down on Native Americans
            here. I am part Dine (Navajo) and live in a border town of the
            Reservation. And yes, I DO have this curiousity concerning Judeo-
            Christians etc. In fact, a common question ot ALL new members (though
            I believe you joined once before) is exactly what has made them
            interested in the subject. I found your lineage made this question so
            much more interesting considering the contrast between your past and
            Gnostic belief. I thought perhaps you had a story that would help us
            get to know you and your interest a little. It has nothing to do with
            your Native blood, per se, simply meant to ask how your interest came
            about. Now, can we we despence with the condescending smiles and
            sarcasm about intellects and assumptions of being some kind of
            outcast and just converse? You will find that one thing we DON'T like
            here, is drama.

            >>>In my Post 9245 (New Member) "After reading your "Description". I
            decided that there was much to be learned here..." So I have come
            here to learn...<<<

            Cool, we all learn a lot here.

            >>My interests in 'Gnosis' first popped up a few years ago while
            reading "Holy Blood Holy Grail" Coming across the Cathars and the
            Albirgensian Crusade... the last offical Roman Catholic Crusade, that
            lasted some 40 years and devastated the Lanquedoc... wiping out
            practically the whole population of the Cathars and their practice
            of "Gnosis".<<

            While the Cathars are not technically "Gnostic", they are certainly
            closely related in some ways and we do talk about them here
            sometimes. Don't worry, we will help keep the focus of the club, and
            it is not meant to put you down if we sometimes say "this is off
            topic". On the other hand, I am sure you have new thoughts to add on
            the subjects that are on topic.