Mary, Mary, quite contrary... or was that Peter?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2004
      The beginning of the following NY Times Op-Ed article caught my
      attention:

      "For a provocative look at the emergence of Christianity two
      millenniums ago, skip Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" and
      examine instead some of the fascinating recent scholarship on the
      early church.
      Interest in the early church has blossomed because of "Passion" and
      the "Da Vinci Code" thriller. But "Passion" and especially "The Da
      Vinci Code" take great liberties with history, while serious research
      has gotten much less attention."

      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/28/opinion/28KRIS.html?
      ex=1078979393&ei=1&en=cf448d837b7567aa

      Nicholas Kristof writes an article concentrating on the role of
      women, but at least he offers a bit of different perspective
      tangential to the recent, popular "passion"-ridden debate. And, he
      introduces a few scholarly ideas, mentions a few extracanonical
      writings, and doesn't get into an allegorical/mythological vs.
      literal debate. He offers hopefully just enough, without getting
      bogged down in details, to whet the appetite of those who might want
      to explore further.

      Well, I can always hope anyway...