Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Can everyone be saved by Gnosis?

  • Rodney Cecil
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 22, 2004
      On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:40:32 -0000
      lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      >OTOH, why do we see Gnostic mythological docetic and
      >adoptionist
      >treatments of Christ vs. the absolute orthodox necessity
      >to view
      >Jesus/Christ as fully human and fully divine, God
      >incarnate? There
      >are various reasons. From a Gnostic view, could an
      >interpretation of
      >an aeon subject to a fully human persona remain
      >incorruptible?

      "He died, when the Spirit which had come upon him in Jordan
      departed from him; not that it might exist separately, but
      rather it withdrew in order that death might operate.
      For how would the body have died, if life had been present
      in him? Death would then have dominion over the Saviour,
      which is absurd.? (Exc. Ex Theo.)

      At least some ancient Gnostics found the idea of an ?aeon
      subject to a fully human persona (remaining) incorruptible?
      preposterous.
      Cari, would you mind elaborating a little about the
      ?various reasons? you mention above? I?m fascinated.

      >Now we're seeing a case where my Catholicism is better
      >than your
      >Catholicism. Saklas par excellence.

      During his sermon this morning my priest said that he heard
      Gibson say in an interview that his wife, an Episcopalian,
      can?t be saved since she isn?t a member of the ?true?
      church. Wouldn?t you like to be a fly on the wall in the
      Gibson home?

      >Extreme, gut-wrenching,
      >fundamental literalism brings believers to their knees
      >via a massive
      >guilt trip. Look what He physically suffered; man, we
      >really owe,
      >baby.

      Its nothing less than a Fundie dream come true. At least
      for some Fundies anyway. I gurarntee that some
      fundamentalists will tell their congreations that because
      the film was made by a Roman Catholic (read: un-saved and
      in league with Satan) they'll be sinning if they see a
      movie about their Saviour's death for their sins made by an
      un-believer. Go figure.
      Anyway, after the imposition of the ashes this Wednesday
      I?m going to see it, and I?m willing to bet the members of
      this group a dollar each that during key scenes (e.g. nails
      driven in, statements made by Jesus while on the cross
      delivered with just the right amount of pathos) I?ll see
      the ?Holy Spirit antennas? going up throughout the theater,
      mixed with exclamations of ?Thank you Jesus!?, etc. I have
      unshakable confidence that the film will whip the troops
      into a frenzy. How tragic.

      Peace,

      Rodney
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 7, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Blissful Branches
        <blissful_branches@y...> wrote:
        > Thanks for clearing those things up for me. Aside from being new
        to the group, please note that I do need to do quite a bit of
        reading. I also agree that Kundalini & Gnosticism are not two of the
        same, but merely conveying that the Gospels Thomas and Philip had
        certain qualities that remind me of Kundalini.

        > Please be patient with me.
        >
        > All the best,
        > Bliss

        Hey Bliss.

        Forgive me for not looking back in the earlier messages, but I'm
        hoping you were the one who had questions about how it was decided
        which books made it into the Bible. Here's a link that covers the
        canonization process:

        http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4R_Articles/Canon/canon.htm

        I hate that it looks like you may have to cut and paste one letter to
        make that work, but you may find it interesting enough to make it
        worth the bother.