Re: Can everyone be saved by Gnosis?

    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 18, 2004
      Hello pmcvflag

      On 18-Feb-04, you wrote:

      > I maintain that the authors of the texts we are here to talk about
      > would have wanted us to understand thier intent... and that this
      > intent is to convey a context for the thing they called "Gnosis"
      > which many of us now seek. Failure to do this ammounts to the
      > cheapening of thier works into something merely personal, when they
      > were talking about the Universal... and could certainly be that lazy
      > self involved impatus that I previously expressed as a doubtfull
      > path to Gnosis.

      Elect or not the gnostics are the few and hated by the many, to
      paraphrase a gnostic text used in our liturgy. But the Catholic
      Church is the proof of in, it is the religion of Saklas par
      excellence, though at its core (the Sacraments) is a grain of truth,
      and through the ages, some Catholics like Miester Eckhart
      (excommunicated posthumosly because he defended himself so well in
      debate), St. John of the Cross, At. Theresa of Avila, St. Francis of
      Assisi, and even St. Ignatius of Loyola (look at his Spiritual
      Exercises sometime) managed to lift the edge of the veil and look
      upon a new reality. But believe me, they were the few. How many
      Popes have been declared Saints? If everyone is to be saved, as
      Gregory Nazinian declared, it will take many lives, and this world
      will be around a long time. Max Heindel said it would take 51% of
      the souls in existence reaching gnosis (not his word for it, but the
      same thing really) to lift this world into the next stage. Even if
      he is right, it will take a while. If we only have one life to live,
      very, very few will attain to gnosis, maybe not even you and me.

      BTW, I agree with you that the authors of the gnostic texts want us to
      understand their intent -- this is really the crux of the matter.

      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 7, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Blissful Branches
        <blissful_branches@y...> wrote:
        > Thanks for clearing those things up for me. Aside from being new
        to the group, please note that I do need to do quite a bit of
        reading. I also agree that Kundalini & Gnosticism are not two of the
        same, but merely conveying that the Gospels Thomas and Philip had
        certain qualities that remind me of Kundalini.

        > Please be patient with me.
        >
        > All the best,
        > Bliss

        Hey Bliss.

        Forgive me for not looking back in the earlier messages, but I'm
        hoping you were the one who had questions about how it was decided
        which books made it into the Bible. Here's a link that covers the
        canonization process:

        http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4R_Articles/Canon/canon.htm

        I hate that it looks like you may have to cut and paste one letter to
        make that work, but you may find it interesting enough to make it
        worth the bother.