Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Does Matter matter?

  • Rodney Cecil
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2004
      On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:17:42 -0000
      "K.M.Hunter" <lightpotential@...> wrote:
      > On the question of matter,
      >
      > A good gnostic understanding in line with the wisdom
      > contained in the
      > Pistis Sophia, the Corpus Hermetica and certain Nag
      > Hammadi texts, is
      > that matter itself is like unto a counterfeit monetary
      > claim. It is
      > created 'from nothing' and 'backed up by nothing'. In a
      > sense, this
      > world of ours, a particular realm separated from higher
      > realms in
      > quality by a series of veils, was created fraudulantly
      > upon a
      > principle of counterfeiting. Thus, it represents an
      > abnormal stress
      > or strain upon the universe. It will possess a finite
      > existence until
      > the error that gave birth to the world is corrected,
      > which will be at
      > a time far off, described by Jesus as the moment of the
      > assension of
      > the universe. The abnormality of matter, will be
      > dissolved. It will
      > cease to be and disappear as if it had never been. This
      > could very
      > well be regarded as an event that puts everything in its
      > proper
      > place. Now, however, the central mystery of salvation is
      > that those
      > people who have not received gnosis will, at the
      > assension of the
      > universe, be composed of the same stuff - i.e. the
      > counterfeit nature
      > of matter, as the universe. They will be consumed along
      > with the
      > universe and disappear as if they had never been.
      > However, those who
      > have 'oil in their lamps', who have 'worked themselves'
      > into a
      > legitmate existence, will be of a quality higher than the
      > universe,
      > and of the same nature as the higher realms of being.
      > Thus, when the
      > universe is destroyed around these people, they are not
      > destroyed
      > with it, but migrate instantly to a higher realm,
      > appropriate to the
      > soul in question, dependent upon the record according to
      > its deeds,
      > built up throughout many lifetimes.
      >
      > Lightpotential

      Hello Lightpotential,

      Your reply is a good illustration of a Sethian/Valentinian
      understanding of matter. However I was trying to express my
      surprise at finding that at least one of the ancient
      masters didn't share the view of matter held by other
      ancient teachers and set forth so admirably in your post.

      Peace,

      Rodney