Re: Valentine Anthropology

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
      Hello lady_caritas

      On 04-Feb-04, you wrote:
      > Caz, thank you, this is all interesting from a Quaker viewpoint.
      > Many might find some similarities to Gnostics in that "there is that
      > of God in everyone." There are some important differences, too, that
      > I see. Probably the concept of God seems to be significant to me.
      > The Gnostic "god" classically is beyond "godbeing," beyond what we
      > perceive as "existence," and actually is an infinite and ineffable
      > prime source.
      >
      > I found the following link interesting. It describes various streams
      > of theology found in Quakerism. How would you describe a modern
      > sense of God in Quakerism in comparison to the ineffable, infinite
      > prime source in Gnosticism?

      This might depend on the background of the Quaker. Fox admired Jacob
      Boehme, and the continental quakers actually look to him as their
      founder. My grandmother came from a continental quaker background,
      and told me when I got older to read him, if I wanted to understand
      the deeper side of life. Boehme talks about the evil in God, and
      darned if this doesn't sound Gnostic in tone. Of course he is still
      one of my heros, but I can't read to much of him at one sitting, as I
      just float off into....well sometimes the abyss, and sometimes bliss.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
        > Hello lady_caritas
        >
        > On 04-Feb-04, you wrote:
        > > Caz, thank you, this is all interesting from a Quaker viewpoint.
        > > Many might find some similarities to Gnostics in that "there is
        that
        > > of God in everyone." There are some important differences, too,
        that
        > > I see. Probably the concept of God seems to be significant to me.
        > > The Gnostic "god" classically is beyond "godbeing," beyond what we
        > > perceive as "existence," and actually is an infinite and ineffable
        > > prime source.
        > >
        > > I found the following link interesting. It describes various
        streams
        > > of theology found in Quakerism. How would you describe a modern
        > > sense of God in Quakerism in comparison to the ineffable, infinite
        > > prime source in Gnosticism?
        >
        > This might depend on the background of the Quaker. Fox admired
        Jacob
        > Boehme, and the continental quakers actually look to him as their
        > founder. My grandmother came from a continental quaker background,
        > and told me when I got older to read him, if I wanted to understand
        > the deeper side of life. Boehme talks about the evil in God, and
        > darned if this doesn't sound Gnostic in tone. Of course he is still
        > one of my heros, but I can't read to much of him at one sitting, as
        > just float off into....well sometimes the abyss, and sometimes
        bliss.

        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

        :-) No doubt, Mike. Considering that Jakob Boehme viewed creation
        as a reflection of God,... that would undoubtedly suggest abyss/bliss
        conflict. He influenced other theologians and writers like William
        Blake and John Wesley. I admire some of these early vanguards in
        modern Christianity who pushed a few limits. Those more "deviating"
        Protestants like Boehme and Wesley even tweaked the theology of other
        Protestants of their day. Boehme, who emphasized inner spiritual
        life, was highly regarded by John Wesley, who required his preachers
        to study Boehme's writings. Immersed in Christian culture, they
        still didn't break loose from the tethers of sin/atonement theology
        though.

        Nonetheless, I suppose this same protesting spirit of mine growing up
        found a spark in some of their ideas. I remember learning about the
        Wesleyan "quadrilateral," four influences Wesley emphasized in
        formulating Christian views. These were: Scripture, Tradition,
        Reason, and Experience. Now, of course, Wesley used this system of
        checks and balances within the context of believing the Bible was
        authoritative.

        I continued the renegade tradition, did a bit of tweaking myself and
        applied reason and experience to explore traditions and scriptures
        outside the orthodox Christian fold, thereby eventually finding a
        more suitable, nonrestrictive milieu for my continuing experiences.
        Interesting the paths we travel...