Re: Opposite extremes

    Message 1 of 78 , Feb 4, 2004
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "K.M.Hunter"
      <lightpotential@y...> wrote:

      > You essentially raise the very point that I made myself, which was
      > the uniqueness of the human condition, in that we, as it even says
      in
      > the Bible, can know good and evil. If we recall through, prior to
      the
      > event of eating the fruit, Adam and Eve were in a state of
      INNOCENCE.
      > Obviously, from a gnostic perspective more could be read into this
      > story, for 'God' in this example can be interpreted to be the
      > Demiurge. However, be that as it may, the idea that I am trying to
      > put forward is that beings of love can be innocence in their
      > essential nature, such that they do not comprehend evil, and
      > likewise, a truly malevalent being acts blindly, because they too
      do
      > not comprehend goodness. In both instances, such beings are not
      able
      > to consider or deliberate on such matters. Humans on the other
      hand,
      > are. I believe that we possess a certain capability that does allow
      > us to contemplate both natures. We can contrast them, as we see
      them
      > manifested in the world. Some beings, I believe truly do exist,
      that
      > do not possess this ability.
      >
      > Lightpotential.

      This takes us back to the notion of philosophical infinity. You
      mention that the human condition is unique in that we possess the
      ability to contemplate both good and evil. Indeed, according to such
      texts as _On the Origin of the World_, that very knowledge was
      something that caused great jealousy among the creator and
      authorities——our knowledge and potential came to exceed theirs.
      Still, those very opposites are phenomena that exist outside of our
      Source. When you state that a "truly malevolent being acts blindly,"
      it should be restated that a perennially innocent being would
      likewise "act blindly."

      In a Gnostic context, I suppose I fail to see how intercession
      by "beings" who are blinded by perceptual deficiencies of either
      extreme should be helpful to humanity when gnosis is our very direct
      connection, our acquaintance, with the Divine.

      Message 78 of 78 , Feb 25, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "eyeambetty" <eyeambetty@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Gerry,
        >
        > previous to any spiritual context, i thought my inclination towards
        > introspection, and preference for solitude were products of my
        > upbringing. i've always felt alienated from others, painfully so
        from
        > my family, i turned inward and developed a relationship with myself
        > early on. i don't think anyone escapes internalizing a certain
        amount
        > of the "darkness", meaning those raging, critical voices that
        > manifest out of false concepts, that have been shaped by external
        > influences during the development of our consciousness. it seems
        out
        > of necessity, that i began to question and reflect in order to
        combat
        > those insidious voices that prodded at me to do this or that in
        order
        > to be good, worthy, lovable and on and on... all i found was
        > emptiness in those pursuits, but the experiences were valuable
        > lessons because of the awareness i had. in my twenties, i began a
        > process of going thru all the garbage, finding the sources of my
        pain
        > and suffering, alongside new experiences, really distinguishing
        > between my true self and my false self. studying fine art, and
        > becoming an artist is what gave me a model for expanding and
        revising
        > my concepts and a voice/tool with which to express/communicate my
        > perceptions.
        > so now in my thirties, having created a space inside, and
        unwittingly
        > prepared myself to recieve a series of transformational experiences
        > that eventually lead me to find Gnosticism, i can't help but think
        > that i was always headed in this direction. however, if you would
        > have told me 2 or 3 years ago this is where i would be, i would
        have
        > surely laughed.
        >
        > sorry, i didn't mean to write a testimonial...
        >
        > sincerely,betty.

        And a perfectly topical testimonial it was, Betty. :-)

        I very much relate to much of your experience, although for me, I
        don't think the introspection and preference for solitude were as
        much products of my upbringing as simply genetic. Two other members
        of my immediate family are the same way, and I see numerous examples
        in the extended family as well.

        Your concluding remarks, also, I find have an especially familiar
        ring. In many ways, I can look back over the course of my life and
        see how differently my views have changed, but at the same time, even
        though I would have had no idea what Gnosticism was all about way
        back then, I feel as though there was always something "different" in
        the way I saw things, and that I was always being drawn in this
        direction. Odd, since my somewhat conventional upbringing was never
        so steeped in the mainstream as to ever make me really comfortable
        with orthodox beliefs, and yet, those beliefs that I *did* have
        weren't exactly like what we're discussing here today, either——sort
        of like realizing that deep within there must have always existed a
        gemstone in the rough. Chipping away at the crust around it takes us
        back to Mike's comment about the "refined perception."