Hello Everyone

  • mercyboxfan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
      Does anyone know of a book/author that speaks in depth about the
      original Gnostic riutals/practices that the first elders used in
      order to increase the "spark"? I am not really talking about the
      Sacraments, I am referring to actual rituals. Maybe rituals that the
      mystics used. Right now I am reading...Jacob Needleman's Lost
      Christianity....he mentions such rituals but not in depth. Has anyone
      read his work?

      Thanks,
      Anne Marie
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
        Hello pmcvflag

        On 06-Feb-04, you wrote:

        > But the sacraments ARE rituals, Anne Marie, and they often were
        > meant to perform the function that you are asking about. However, I
        > think I know what you are driving at. It does seem possible that
        > there were meditative techniques like those we see in Yoga or the
        > Kabbalah. I am unaware of any books on the subject, and if you DO
        > find books on the subject, I would be highly suspicious of their
        > accuracy. Perhaps some other member here has read something.

        Well there are always the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius Loyola. :-)
        Just reading Jacob Boehme or a lot of Gnostic texts can do this to
        you (try the Gospel Of Truth, for instance). During our Good Friday
        service during the round dance, I went into another dimension, but
        being Narrator, I had to pull myself back to complete my duties in
        the ritual, the good of the many over the good of the one, and all
        that kind of stuff.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
          But the sacraments ARE rituals, Anne Marie, and they often were
          meant to perform the function that you are asking about. However, I
          think I know what you are driving at. It does seem possible that
          there were meditative techniques like those we see in Yoga or the
          Kabbalah. I am unaware of any books on the subject, and if you DO
          find books on the subject, I would be highly suspicious of thier
          accuracy. Perhaps some other member herehas read something.

          PMCV

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "mercyboxfan" <mercyboxfan@y...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
            >>>Well there are always the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius
            Loyola. :-)
            Just reading Jacob Boehme or a lot of Gnostic texts can do this to
            you (try the Gospel Of Truth, for instance). During our Good Friday
            service during the round dance, I went into another dimension, but
            being Narrator, I had to pull myself back to complete my duties in
            the ritual, the good of the many over the good of the one, and all
            that kind of stuff.

            Mike Leavitt ac998@...<<<<

            Actually Mike, I am with you on the "just reading a lot of Gnostic
            texts", I have had similar experiences of practically being slung
            into the ether during a reading... public or private.