Re: Valentinian anthropology

  • eyeambetty
    Message 1 of 78 , Feb 1 10:24 PM
      lightpotential wrote:

      > Indeed it is interesting to consider, how would one know light
      > without darkness? I do think that there are entities in creation
      that
      > do partake of only one of these. That is, beings that are totally
      at
      > one with the 'concept' of love, who simply do not know of darkness,
      > and also, beings of such malevalence that are so completely
      ignorant
      > of goodness. It is possible for some entities to know only one
      > quality, without the other, I think. We humans are in fact in a
      most
      > interesting state of being in that we can contemplate both, from
      > a 'stand-off' position and choose, through our actions, whether to
      > manifest as beings of light or darkness. This is one of our
      essential
      > characteristics, I think.

      Hi LightPotential,

      In contemplating beings that are at one with the 'concept' of love,
      or beings that are completely ignorant of goodness, how does one come
      to understand either one without an understanding of both?
      for example, if i saw a being of complete love, part of my
      understanding and recognition is informed by what i know it is not:
      ignorance of goodness,malevalence,and darkness, and this, in contrast
      to what i understand and recognize as it's qualities which are love,
      light,compassion.

      betty
      Message 78 of 78 , Feb 25 11:13 AM
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "eyeambetty" <eyeambetty@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Gerry,
        >
        > previous to any spiritual context, i thought my inclination towards
        > introspection, and preference for solitude were products of my
        > upbringing. i've always felt alienated from others, painfully so
        from
        > my family, i turned inward and developed a relationship with myself
        > early on. i don't think anyone escapes internalizing a certain
        amount
        > of the "darkness", meaning those raging, critical voices that
        > manifest out of false concepts, that have been shaped by external
        > influences during the development of our consciousness. it seems
        out
        > of necessity, that i began to question and reflect in order to
        combat
        > those insidious voices that prodded at me to do this or that in
        order
        > to be good, worthy, lovable and on and on... all i found was
        > emptiness in those pursuits, but the experiences were valuable
        > lessons because of the awareness i had. in my twenties, i began a
        > process of going thru all the garbage, finding the sources of my
        pain
        > and suffering, alongside new experiences, really distinguishing
        > between my true self and my false self. studying fine art, and
        > becoming an artist is what gave me a model for expanding and
        revising
        > my concepts and a voice/tool with which to express/communicate my
        > perceptions.
        > so now in my thirties, having created a space inside, and
        unwittingly
        > prepared myself to recieve a series of transformational experiences
        > that eventually lead me to find Gnosticism, i can't help but think
        > that i was always headed in this direction. however, if you would
        > have told me 2 or 3 years ago this is where i would be, i would
        have
        > surely laughed.
        >
        > sorry, i didn't mean to write a testimonial...
        >
        > sincerely,betty.

        And a perfectly topical testimonial it was, Betty. :-)

        I very much relate to much of your experience, although for me, I
        don't think the introspection and preference for solitude were as
        much products of my upbringing as simply genetic. Two other members
        of my immediate family are the same way, and I see numerous examples
        in the extended family as well.

        Your concluding remarks, also, I find have an especially familiar
        ring. In many ways, I can look back over the course of my life and
        see how differently my views have changed, but at the same time, even
        though I would have had no idea what Gnosticism was all about way
        back then, I feel as though there was always something "different" in
        the way I saw things, and that I was always being drawn in this
        direction. Odd, since my somewhat conventional upbringing was never
        so steeped in the mainstream as to ever make me really comfortable
        with orthodox beliefs, and yet, those beliefs that I *did* have
        weren't exactly like what we're discussing here today, either——sort
        of like realizing that deep within there must have always existed a
        gemstone in the rough. Chipping away at the crust around it takes us
        back to Mike's comment about the "refined perception."