Re: Reading the bible

  • jachthondus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
      Hi Stephen,

      Thank you for your response. Agreeing with what you are saying.
      Not having been brought up with Christianity: What amazes me is how
      busy-busy the later "winning" orthodoxy must have been
      with "bastling" St.Paul's gospel and that of the "Jerusalem-group"
      together to some "unity"...
      AND: That they must have been rather satisfied with the results of
      their "bastle-work", taking into account the succes in the next
      millenia.

      To tell you something: I'm really grateful that I'm reading those
      Letters for the first time.
      And already it's more then clear to me that we are dealing here with
      two totally-different mentalities.

      Amazing...

      Have a nice Sunday!

      Jach.

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <stephen@m...> wrote:
      > >About one year ago, and "by accident" I saw myself being confronted
      > >with aspects of orthodox-christian-religion and felt "obliged" in
      > >some way to seriously read the Paulinic-Letters and the Gospels.
      >
      > Jach,
      >
      > Yes, there are few things more shocking to orthodox faith than to
      actually
      > read the bible intelegently. No wonder the Catholic church tried
      for so
      > long to only have it read out in Latin so that the congregation
      could not
      > understand it. And of all the books in the bible the most shocking
      is also
      > the earliest - the letters of Paul.
      >
      > It is amusing that that the fundamentalist Christians think so
      highly of
      > Paul. Can they not read? Do they not realise that Paul is talking
      about a
      > religion that is utterly different from theirs? I wonder what they
      make of
      > Paul telling us that the Law has been repealed and that the
      spiritual
      > Christian has complete freedom from judgement? What do they think
      when Paul
      > warns us against the angels, tells us that we should one day judge
      the
      > angels and talks about being baptised for the dead? And then there
      are the
      > mysteries intended only for the perfected or Paul's description of
      his
      > experience of the resurrection as a miscarriage or Paul listing the
      Twelve

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
        Hello jachthondus

        On 11-Jan-04, you wrote:

        > Hi Stephen,
        >
        > Thank you for your response. Agreeing with what you are saying.
        > Not having been brought up with Christianity: What amazes me is how
        > busy-busy the later "winning" orthodoxy must have been
        > with "bastling" St.Paul's gospel and that of the "Jerusalem-group"
        > together to some "unity"...
        > AND: That they must have been rather satisfied with the results of
        > their "bastle-work", taking into account the success in the next
        > millenia.
        >
        > To tell you something: I'm really grateful that I'm reading those
        > Letters for the first time. And already it's more then clear to me
        > that we are dealing here with two totally-different mentalities.

        I was raised with Heindel Rosicrucian and Steiner Christianity, with a
        large dose of Manley P. Hall, so I had no Orthodox conditioning when
        I read Paul. It is one of my saddest things, that having given a
        lecture years ago on the Gnostic Paul (pre-computer) I put down
        almost every gnostic type quote from all of Paul's letters, on 3"x5"
        cards and now cannot find them. He really does sound gnostic at
        times, many times, and one can see why say the Paulicians loves him
        so much.