Reading the bible

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2004
      >About one year ago, and "by accident" I saw myself being confronted
      >with aspects of orthodox-christian-religion and felt "obliged" in
      >some way to seriously read the Paulinic-Letters and the Gospels.

      Jach,

      Yes, there are few things more shocking to orthodox faith than to actually
      read the bible intelegently. No wonder the Catholic church tried for so
      long to only have it read out in Latin so that the congregation could not
      understand it. And of all the books in the bible the most shocking is also
      the earliest - the letters of Paul.

      It is amusing that that the fundamentalist Christians think so highly of
      Paul. Can they not read? Do they not realise that Paul is talking about a
      religion that is utterly different from theirs? I wonder what they make of
      Paul telling us that the Law has been repealed and that the spiritual
      Christian has complete freedom from judgement? What do they think when Paul
      warns us against the angels, tells us that we should one day judge the
      angels and talks about being baptised for the dead? And then there are the
      mysteries intended only for the perfected or Paul's description of his
      experience of the resurrection as a miscarriage or Paul listing the Twelve
      as a separate group from the apostles. The more you read it, the more weird
      it appears. Except that it's not weird at all - it's just nothing like the
      Christianity we have all been taught.

      Stephen

      Was Christianity founded by a woman?
      www.bridalchamber.com
    • jachthondus
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
        Hi Stephen,

        Thank you for your response. Agreeing with what you are saying.
        Not having been brought up with Christianity: What amazes me is how
        busy-busy the later "winning" orthodoxy must have been
        with "bastling" St.Paul's gospel and that of the "Jerusalem-group"
        together to some "unity"...
        AND: That they must have been rather satisfied with the results of
        their "bastle-work", taking into account the succes in the next
        millenia.

        To tell you something: I'm really grateful that I'm reading those
        Letters for the first time.
        And already it's more then clear to me that we are dealing here with
        two totally-different mentalities.

        Amazing...

        Have a nice Sunday!

        Jach.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
          Hello jachthondus

          On 11-Jan-04, you wrote:

          > Hi Stephen,
          >
          > Thank you for your response. Agreeing with what you are saying.
          > Not having been brought up with Christianity: What amazes me is how
          > busy-busy the later "winning" orthodoxy must have been
          > with "bastling" St.Paul's gospel and that of the "Jerusalem-group"
          > together to some "unity"...
          > AND: That they must have been rather satisfied with the results of
          > their "bastle-work", taking into account the success in the next
          > millenia.
          >
          > To tell you something: I'm really grateful that I'm reading those
          > Letters for the first time. And already it's more then clear to me
          > that we are dealing here with two totally-different mentalities.

          I was raised with Heindel Rosicrucian and Steiner Christianity, with a
          large dose of Manley P. Hall, so I had no Orthodox conditioning when
          I read Paul. It is one of my saddest things, that having given a
          lecture years ago on the Gnostic Paul (pre-computer) I put down
          almost every gnostic type quote from all of Paul's letters, on 3"x5"
          cards and now cannot find them. He really does sound gnostic at
          times, many times, and one can see why say the Paulicians loves him
          so much.