Re: I am a New Member...A thinking sponge!!

    Message 1 of 147 , Jan 8, 2004
      Hello Gerry

      On 08-Jan-04, you wrote:

      > Perhaps I'm interpreting that too universally. Well, the alternative
      > would be to believe that you're only referring to "every age" of
      > Christian ecclesiastical history, in which case, when combined with
      > your previous comment, you would appear to be suggesting that the
      > *only* way for one to find salvation (as a Gnostic) is through the
      > church. It would be odd to think that such a personally experiential
      > process is dependent upon (and not, perhaps, facilitated by) an
      > intermediary. Going back to my broader understanding that you feel
      > that Gnostics have existed in every age and every culture, I'd ask
      > how certain groups of people throughout history could have aspired
      > to gnosis without the benefit of ever having access to your church's
      > sacraments? Either way, I find it problematic to reconcile those two
      > statements.

      I should add that at least here in Los Angeles we recognize that the
      sacraments are not for everyone. We have an ongoing series of
      lectures on Friday nights, and many who attend them are never seen in
      church, and that is OK by us. Of course many of them do show up at
      church, and we have people who only attend the liturgical services.
      We are really pretty open.

      Mike Leavitt ac998@... Senior Priest, Ecclesia Gnostica, Los
      Angeles, California
      Message 147 of 147 , Feb 29, 2004
        Hello Gerry

        On 29-Feb-04, you wrote:

        > http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/piclib/imagerecord.asp?id=10411307 This is a
        > nutshell version attributing the image's first known use to French
        > astronomer Camille Flammarion in 1888.

        I cannot remember the name of his book, but Flammarion was into the
        Occult and Metaphysical, more or less Theosophical in tone if I
        remember right, so he may have consciously altered the older 16th
        Century image to suit his more modern Occult outlook. Just another
        coincidence, though perhaps. AFAIK, he was not involved in the late
        19th century French Gnostic movement, though I could be wrong on
        that.