On "heresy" again

    Message 1 of 147 , Jan 8 9:54 AM
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, daath40 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > We as Gnostics are now able to overcome the 'heresy' label applied
      by
      > the mainstream Church as I believe many more people are open to a
      > Spiritual tradition such as ours that recognizes the Truth to be
      > found in other traditions, while still having a moral, scriptural
      and
      > Sacramental grounding.

      Hi Ken.

      We've actually had some discussions of late about the definition
      of "heresy" and its application. By claiming that Gnostics today
      can "overcome" that "label," are you suggesting that after two
      millennia, Gnostic traditions have suddenly become in-line with
      orthodox doctrine?

      There are clear differences there. I mean, books weren't burned and
      people killed for no reason. While there may be no excuse for such
      tragedies, it's not as if they happened for no reason at all. The
      differences were generally apparent to the accusers as well as the
      accused. To gloss over them today is to ignore the historical
      accounts.

      Gerry

      p.s. I *do* know what you're trying to say, Ken, but the fact that
      people may be more inclined to appreciate Gnostic traditions today
      doesn't mean that heterodox beliefs have finally managed to toe the
      line of orthodoxy. Unless we find ourselves wading in the
      mainstream, it is probably best to avoid their connotation of the
      word as being equated with "false."
      Message 147 of 147 , Feb 29, 2004
        Hello Gerry

        On 29-Feb-04, you wrote:

        > http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/piclib/imagerecord.asp?id=10411307 This is a
        > nutshell version attributing the image's first known use to French
        > astronomer Camille Flammarion in 1888.

        I cannot remember the name of his book, but Flammarion was into the
        Occult and Metaphysical, more or less Theosophical in tone if I
        remember right, so he may have consciously altered the older 16th
        Century image to suit his more modern Occult outlook. Just another
        coincidence, though perhaps. AFAIK, he was not involved in the late
        19th century French Gnostic movement, though I could be wrong on
        that.