Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: I am a New Member...A thinking sponge!!

  • Gavin Riggott
    Message 1 of 147 , Jan 8, 2004
      'Viewing gnosis as something "bestowed in the sacraments and practice
      of the faith," you ask, Gale, how one comes by gnosis "without the
      Sacraments?"'

      Gale,

      In one of the web lectures at the Gnostic Society website (sorry, I can't
      remember which one), Stephan Hoeller addresses this very point. He
      recomends--and I'm not such if its EG policy or just his personal
      oppinion--that three ways to "come by Gnosis" are study of scripture, prayer
      and the sacraments. However, he goes on to say that if one of those isn't
      strictly necessary, its the sacraments. I got the impression he was saying
      that for the benefit of those (like myself) not fortunate enough to live
      near any Gnostic or Gnostic-friendly churches. If I remember which lecture
      it was, I'll be sure to let you know. Or maybe one of our other members
      knows?

      Gavin Riggott
      Message 147 of 147 , Feb 29, 2004
        Hello Gerry

        On 29-Feb-04, you wrote:

        > http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/piclib/imagerecord.asp?id=10411307 This is a
        > nutshell version attributing the image's first known use to French
        > astronomer Camille Flammarion in 1888.

        I cannot remember the name of his book, but Flammarion was into the
        Occult and Metaphysical, more or less Theosophical in tone if I
        remember right, so he may have consciously altered the older 16th
        Century image to suit his more modern Occult outlook. Just another
        coincidence, though perhaps. AFAIK, he was not involved in the late
        19th century French Gnostic movement, though I could be wrong on
        that.