Re: I am a New Member...A thinking sponge!!

  • daath40
    Message 1 of 147 , Jan 7, 2004
      Shalom, Father Mike+

      Thank you for your answer: I am very aware of the Ecclesia Gnostica
      and am re-reading +Stephan Hoeller's book "Gnosticism: New Light
      etc..." again even now. It is a highly recommended book on our
      Formation program list and is the usual book that I recommend when
      new Seekers come to me for guidance. : ) As you are in LA, can I ask
      you to express my appreciation of this book to Bishop +Hoeller?

      Great to hear from you and I hope that we can correspond in the
      future: Gnostic Christianity has an incredible opportunity to grow in
      the coming years and I believe that it is very important that we grow
      bridges and work together to effect that.

      We as Gnostics are now able to overcome the 'heresy' label applied by
      the mainstream Church as I believe many more people are open to a
      Spiritual tradition such as ours that recognizes the Truth to be
      found in other traditions, while still having a moral, scriptural and
      Sacramental grounding.

      Again, I hope to meet you in the future in the course of our
      travelling our Path..

      Veritas LVX Mea!

      Ken+
      AJC

      > Hello daath40
      >
      > On 06-Jan-04, you wrote:
      >

      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Gamdunc@w... wrote:
      > >> I attend the Queen of Heaven Gnostic Church in Portland, OR and
      it
      > >> is there
      > >> that I practice my faith through celebration of the Mass and
      Holy
      > >> Eucharist, as
      > >> well as through readings but especially through daily prayer. I
      > >> have just
      > >> recently begun daily Gnostic practice with "A Gnostic Book of
      > >> Hours" by June
      > >> Singer. Dr. Hoeller says that neither Faith nor Works alone
      grant
      > >> salvation, but
      > >> Gnosis, the direct experience ("knowledge") of the divine within
      > >> and without
      > >> us, as individuals. The early Church apparently was as diverse
      as
      > >> it is today
      > >> and always has been, though gnostics have existed in every age.
      If

      Message 147 of 147 , Feb 29, 2004
        Hello Gerry

        On 29-Feb-04, you wrote:

        > http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/piclib/imagerecord.asp?id=10411307 This is a
        > nutshell version attributing the image's first known use to French
        > astronomer Camille Flammarion in 1888.

        I cannot remember the name of his book, but Flammarion was into the
        Occult and Metaphysical, more or less Theosophical in tone if I
        remember right, so he may have consciously altered the older 16th
        Century image to suit his more modern Occult outlook. Just another
        coincidence, though perhaps. AFAIK, he was not involved in the late
        19th century French Gnostic movement, though I could be wrong on
        that.