Re: I am a New Member...A thinking sponge!!

  • daath40
    Message 1 of 147 , Jan 6, 2004
      Shalom

      This great book by June Singer; "A Gnostic book of Hours" has just
      been accepted as breviary in my own Apostolic Johannite Church
      (www.johannite.org). It is excellent and I am thinking of writing to
      Ms Singer to let her know just that!

      In our Church, we likewise Celebrate Mass (The Graal of Undefiled
      Wisdom), and practise The Christ Practise - a guided meditation in
      the Vajrayana Buddhist style (but completely Christian). It is a
      visualization of 'The Great Compassionate One - Christ'. I also
      practise Centering Prayer and individual meditation.

      Can I ask you - are you an independant Chruc or are you affiliated
      with another group or organization?

      Us Gnostics are a diverse group and I am a bridge-builder that wishes
      to hear of other Gnostic traditions and practises.

      LVX!

      Rev Fr Ken Madden+
      Vicar General

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Gamdunc@w... wrote:
      > I attend the Queen of Heaven Gnostic Church in Portland, OR and it
      is there
      > that I practice my faith through celebration of the Mass and Holy
      Eucharist, as
      > well as through readings but especially through daily prayer. I
      have just
      > recently begun daily Gnostic practice with "A Gnostic Book of
      Hours" by June
      > Singer. Dr. Hoeller says that neither Faith nor Works alone grant
      salvation, but
      > Gnosis, the direct experience ("knowledge") of the divine within
      and without
      > us, as individuals. The early Church apparently was as diverse as
      it is today
      > and always has been, though gnostics have existed in every age. If
      you
      > haven't yet, read "The Gnostic Catechism" on the Gnostic web site.
      Explore, enjoy!

      Message 147 of 147 , Feb 29, 2004
        Hello Gerry

        On 29-Feb-04, you wrote:

        > http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/piclib/imagerecord.asp?id=10411307 This is a
        > nutshell version attributing the image's first known use to French
        > astronomer Camille Flammarion in 1888.

        I cannot remember the name of his book, but Flammarion was into the
        Occult and Metaphysical, more or less Theosophical in tone if I
        remember right, so he may have consciously altered the older 16th
        Century image to suit his more modern Occult outlook. Just another
        coincidence, though perhaps. AFAIK, he was not involved in the late
        19th century French Gnostic movement, though I could be wrong on
        that.