Re: I am a New Member...A thinking sponge!!

    Message 1 of 147 , Jan 5, 2004
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Gamdunc@w... wrote:
      > Go to the Gnostic Website at gnosis.org and prepare to soak it up
      as it is a
      > veritable fount. There are many strains of Catholicism (I'm
      assuming Roman)in
      > Gnosticism as the early Christian church included gnostics (such as
      > Valentinus). Especially, read Elaine Pagels works--her
      latest "Beyond Belief: the
      > Secret Gospel of Thomas"-- is sublime. Listen to some of Dr.
      Hoeller's lectures.
      > And, as I understand our faith, Gnosticism is not really
      enlightenment but
      > salvation through Gnosis as bestowed in the sacraments and practice
      of the faith.

      > Very best wishes,
      >
      > Gale

      Greetings, VB and Gale.

      Gale, you have offered some excellent sources for reading.

      I'm not sure, however, what you mean by "There are many strains of
      Catholicism (I'm assuming Roman) in Gnosticism." The early Christian
      ecclesia did indeed include Valentinians, as you say, but "Christian"
      at that time was not what later became orthodox Catholicism. The
      early "Christians" consisted of a variety of expressions using the
      Christ motif and did include some proto-orthodox as well as Gnostic
      and other avenues. And these were different from each other,
      different enough that when those with political power later supported
      an orthodox Christianity, there was upheaval and Gnostic and other
      heterodox scriptures were destroyed.

      One major difference for Gnostics is that Gnosis is salvific, not
      faith. Even though many moderns equate "faith" with "religion," it's
      important to recognize that Gnosticism did not include traditions
      that accentuated "faith" in their soteriology. As such, yes,
      Gnosticism emphasizes "salvation through Gnosis," but not through an
      emphasis on praxis or pistis, "practice of the faith." It's not a
      matter of discarding faith or practice (although some may indeed view
      sacraments as unnecessary, for instance), tools or elements we see in
      religions, but rather where functional importance is placed.
      Salvific Gnosis, direct knowledge or acquaintance, goes beyond faith.

      Gale, you mention Elaine Pagels. We've had recent discussion about
      her latest book, _Beyond Belief_. Have you and/or other members read
      any of her previous books dealing with Gnostic (Valentinian) exegesis
      of Paul or John, in which differences between the psychic and
      pneumatic approaches are discussed?

      Message 147 of 147 , Feb 29, 2004
        Hello Gerry

        On 29-Feb-04, you wrote:

        > http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/piclib/imagerecord.asp?id=10411307 This is a
        > nutshell version attributing the image's first known use to French
        > astronomer Camille Flammarion in 1888.

        I cannot remember the name of his book, but Flammarion was into the
        Occult and Metaphysical, more or less Theosophical in tone if I
        remember right, so he may have consciously altered the older 16th
        Century image to suit his more modern Occult outlook. Just another
        coincidence, though perhaps. AFAIK, he was not involved in the late
        19th century French Gnostic movement, though I could be wrong on
        that.