Re: the Demiurge and the Saviour

  • Paul Kieniewicz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
      > Hello wvdog61
      >
      > On 28-Dec-03, you wrote:
      > >> It may be the translation. At any rate I don't think Demiurge
      here
      > >> refers to Saklas at all, but is being used in its generic sense
      of
      > >> creator. Substitute creator for demiurge and the passage makes
      more
      > >> sense. Clement knew Gnostic Theosophy well enough not to make
      such
      > >> an error, unless, of course, he was trying to confuse things.
      PMVC?

      Does anyone know the derivation of "demiurge" ---Demi-urgos ---
      sounds like it comes from Greek. If so, what might be its root
      meaning ?

      Paul Kieniewicz
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kieniewicz" <paulmmk@y...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone know the derivation of "demiurge" ---Demi-urgos ---
        > sounds like it comes from Greek. If so, what might be its root
        > meaning ?
        >
        > Paul Kieniewicz

        Hi, Paul. Happy New Year, everyone.

        Interesting you should bring this up because, although I have
        seen "demiurge" [Gnostic (and Platonic) maker of material world]
        sometimes explained as a "half" or "lesser" god (based on a
        prefix "demi-" or "half"),... according to various
        dictionaries, "demiurge" is indeed Greek in origin.

        The Late Latin _demiurgus_ comes from the Greek _demiourgos_, which
        literally means "artisan." And, yes, we do see the Gnostic demiurge
        referred to as a craftsman. [_demios_ of the people (from _demos_
        people) + _-ourgos_ worker (from _ergon_ work)]