Re: Too Quiet

  • alexandria_4us
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 24, 2003
      Hello?? Why are you all so silent?

      Marina
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 24, 2003
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "alexandria_4us"
        <alexandria_4us@y...> wrote:
        > Hello?? Why are you all so silent?
        >
        > Marina

        Hello, Marina. It could be that a lot of folks are beginning to get
        wrapped up in holiday preparations. I know it's but one entry on my
        own current list of priorities.

        So why have YOU been so silent? What would you like to talk about,
        Marina? Ya know, we could start wtih the subject you've already
        broached (did you even realize that you introduced a topic with that
        short post--pretty easy, huh--LOL).

        Silence.

        Yeah, in a discussion forum, I suppose that silence could be a
        negative quality, but in a *Gnostic* forum, it may well be that we
        can find a special reverence for it considering its importance in the
        greater scheme of things.

        Rather than quoting the traditional sources, here's a little
        something from one of my favorite neo-Gnostic writers:

        "I am not the sound, but the silence it comes from . . . the
        instrument is just a distraction."

        Doesn't that just make you tingle all over?

        Gerry
      • alexandria_4us
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 27, 2003
          "Gerry" wrote:

          > Hello, Marina. It could be that a lot of folks are beginning to
          get
          > wrapped up in holiday preparations. I know it's but one entry on
          my
          > own current list of priorities.

          right, well have fun.

          > So why have YOU been so silent?

          That's just the kind of gal I am.

          What would you like to talk about,
          > Marina? Ya know, we could start wtih the subject you've already
          > broached (did you even realize that you introduced a topic with
          that
          > short post--pretty easy, huh--LOL).

          Yes, I realize that. Is there anything to talk about that hasn't been
          talked about before?

          > Silence.

          Is Golden

          Yeah, in a discussion forum, I suppose that silence could be a
          > negative quality, but in a *Gnostic* forum, it may well be that we
          > can find a special reverence for it considering its importance in
          the
          > greater scheme of things.

          I don't see silence as being negative. Okay, let's talk about the
          role of silence in the greater scheme of things.

          > Rather than quoting the traditional sources, here's a little
          > something from one of my favorite neo-Gnostic writers:
          >
          > "I am not the sound, but the silence it comes from . . . the
          > instrument is just a distraction."
          >
          > Doesn't that just make you tingle all over?
          >> Gerry

          Can the sound be made without the instrument?

          Marina
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 28, 2003

            Reply to Marina's message #8696:

            >>right, well have fun.<<

            Well, I hope I didn’t suggest that holiday preparations were meant to be "fun." I figured it was an Archontic conspiracy to make the season as difficult and stress-filled as possible so that we would welcome in a new year with open arms. LOL

            >>That's just the kind of gal I am.<<

            Nothing wrong with being quiet. Myself, I can get quite vociferous on the Internet, but in real life, I’m a hermit. (J/K, sort of.)

            >>Is there anything to talk about that hasn't been talked about

            before?<<

            Undoubtedly, but there’s also the problem of missing posts. During one of Yahoo’s mergers, we once lost two years worth of posts, not to mention the fact that of those that did survive the move, some of the earlier ones have lost their formatting almost to the point of illegibility. Newcomers need not worry about being smacked down for introducing topics that have already been covered. At worst, they may simply be referred to the relevant post numbers, but in many cases, the subjects are worth discussing again; indeed, many here seem to be perennial topics.

            >>I don't see silence as being negative.<<

            Oh, I didn’t think you were disrespecting the group by commenting on the lack of activity. I merely meant "negative" in relation to the purpose of such a forum--that inactivity isn’t exactly constructive.

            >>Okay, let's talk about the role of silence in the greater scheme of

            things.

            Rather than quoting the traditional sources, here's a little something from one of my favorite neo-Gnostic writers:

            "I am not the sound, but the silence it comes from . . . the instrument is just a distraction…."<<

            Here’s a good example of resurrecting old posts. I led you to believe that I was capitalizing on your introduction of "silence," but in sooth, I was actually using that quote to continue our discussions of Infinity. The metaphor was used by PMCV in a conversation dealing with Logic and the grasping of the Infinite:

            >>Can the sound be made without the instrument?<<

            Can you name a sound that occurs without two (or more) things interacting? The instrument exists for the purpose of producing sound, but once it has fallen into a state of disrepair and can no longer function in accordance with its design, the silence will remain. It was there before the sound, and will be there afterwards.

            In discussing the actual magnitude of Infinity, I think many people claim to get the point of it, but I often think that their perspectives preclude them from understanding it in terms that the Gnostics wrote about it. For example, consider the role of Silence in the opening passages of A Valentinian Exposition and Trimorphic Protennoia, or near the end of the Acts of Peter (chap. XXXIX):

            http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/valex.html

            http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/trimorph.html

            http://www.gnosis.org/library/actpete.htm

            They certainly seem to have gone to great lengths to describe something apart from the physical world as we know it, and yet, there is that which remains, even where our corruptible natures can neither exist nor comprehend it.

            Not to suggest that the Bard was a Gnostic, but I’ve always thought that the following passage from the Scottish play really captures the folly of trying to make sense of our temporal existence:

            To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
            Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
            To the last syllable of recorded time;
            And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
            The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
            Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
            That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
            And then is heard no more: it is a tale
            Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
            Signifying nothing.
            --Macbeth (Act V, scene 5)

            With such meaningless and furious sounds, I grow to appreciate the Silence ever more.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2003
              Hello, Ger. I'm taking the liberty of reposting the links in your
              fine Post #8698. Hopefully, if this works, we won't have to copy and
              paste the links, in case anyone else was having difficulty.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 28, 2003
                > Hello, Ger. I'm taking the liberty of reposting the links in your
                > fine Post #8698. Hopefully, if this works, we won't have to copy
                and
                > paste the links, in case anyone else was having difficulty.

                > http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/valex.html
                > http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/trimorph.html
                > http://www.gnosis.org/library/actpete.htm
                >

                > Cari

                Thanks for catching that, Cari. Once again, the e-mail format
                screwed it up, although, it did turn out looking better than if
                posted through the web site. I, for one, am glad to admit that looks
                aren't all that important! ;-)

                Gerry
              • alexandria_4us
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 29, 2003
                  > Reply to Marina's message #8696:
                  >
                  > >>right, well have fun.<<
                  >
                  > Well, I hope I didn't suggest that holiday preparations were meant
                  to be "fun." I figured it was an Archontic conspiracy to make the
                  season as difficult and stress-filled as possible so that we would
                  welcome in a new year with open arms. LOL

                  I fail to see the humor in that.

                  > >>That's just the kind of gal I am.<<
                  >
                  > Nothing wrong with being quiet. Myself, I can get quite vociferous
                  on the Internet, but in real life, I'm a hermit. (J/K, sort of.)

                  J/K?

                  I will ask more questions and comment on this post a little later.

                  Marina

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 29, 2003
                    Gerry says...

                    "Well, I hope I didn't suggest that holiday preparations were meant
                    to be "fun." I figured it was an Archontic conspiracy to make the
                    season as difficult and stress-filled as possible so that we would
                    welcome in a new year with open arms. LOL"

                    And alexandria_4us retorted...

                    "I fail to see the humor in that."

                    My retort to the retort is..... Either you have the dryest humor I
                    have ever seen, Ms Alexandria, or you simply have none. Yeesh *lol*.
                    Either way, you really threw me around the corner with that one. ;)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 29, 2003
                      <alexandria_4us@y...> wrote:

                      > I fail to see the humor in that.

                      Aw, shucks, and just when I was FTS writing my own reply asking
                      WYSOH, I see S/O else already stole my thunder. ;-)

                      > >Myself, I can get quite vociferous on the Internet, but in real
                      > life, I'm a hermit. (J/K, sort of.)
                      >
                      > J/K?

                      Didn't mean to throw you there. FYI, or FYA, here's a fairly
                      comprehensive LOA for Internet communication:

                      http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/abbrev.html

                      Inasmuch as it's called the "Canonical" list, I'm sure we'll
                      appreciate that there are other gems not included. Here are a few,
                      more concise sites (this first one has some great links, IMO, at the
                      bottom of the page--of course, YMMV):

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_slang

                      http://www.copd-international.com/library/chat-emoticons.htm

                      http://www.40up.org/lingo.htm

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 29, 2003
                        Hello pmcvflag

                        On 29-Nov-03, you wrote:

                        > Gerry says...
                        >
                        > "Well, I hope I didn't suggest that holiday preparations were meant
                        > to be "fun." I figured it was an Archontic conspiracy to make the
                        > season as difficult and stress-filled as possible so that we would
                        > welcome in a new year with open arms. LOL"
                        >
                        > And alexandria_4us retorted...
                        >
                        > "I fail to see the humor in that."
                        >
                        > My retort to the retort is..... Either you have the dryest humor I
                        > have ever seen, Ms Alexandria, or you simply have none. Yeesh *lol*.
                        > Either way, you really threw me around the corner with that one. ;)
                        >
                        > PMCV

                        Maybe he actually enjoys Christmas shopping, like my wife does. She
                        loves buying presents for friends and family. I'm finally immune to
                        it, and bought all my own presents, and gave them to her to give to
                        me. Didn't even phase me. This way I know I get what I need. :-)

                      • harold adams jackson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
                          try to take the holidays as just ordinary days of the year....commercial interests won't like u though
                        • alexandria_4us
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
                            Thanks

                            Marina