Re: A Snake in hand is worth 2 in the garden

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2003
      > . . . if you don't think creation is an error,
      > look at the soldier in Iraq, or the homeless on the streets. That
      > central point makes the world understandable if you ask me.

      It seems like someone else here has pointed out recently that even
      the orthodox perceive error in the world (sorry, it's too late to go
      looking it up!), it's just of a different nature—of Man's own doing.
      I guess that's why it's even more helpful for me to link that concept
      with the Gnostics' Infinite. By removing the notion of a "personal"
      god who sometimes spares us from the raw deals of the world and other
      times throws it at us in spades, it's easier for me to take it
      less . . . personally.

      What really hooked me, Mike, was way back when I first read your
      bishop's article on "The Mystery of Iniquity" in the now defunct
      Gnosis Magazine. In fact, once when I was doing a really lousy job
      of explaining Gnosticism (and the question of evil in the world) to a
      friend of mine, I told him to wait a minute while I fetched something
      off the Net. From the questions he had been asking me that summer
      and what he had related to me regarding his experiences with
      organized religion, it seemed like he would really relate to a
      Gnostic outlook. I handed the article to him and told him he might
      want to look it over on his lunch break so that he could make more
      sense of the poor summary I had offered previously. When he returned
      from lunch——beaming——I was relieved to see that I at least had access
      to somebody who could really articulate these concepts in a way that
      I could not.

      http://www.gnosis.org/iniquity.htm