Gnostic Bibliography

  • kpinitaly
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2003
      To anyone who can help --

      I'm working on outlining the trajectories of gnostic thought as
      demonstrated in the NHL, and now that I have read many of those
      works, I need to construct a bibliography of secondary materials
      concerning gnosticism as it developed in the ancient near east.
      Other than the list of works at the Gnostic Society Library website,
      can anyone help me with a place to go for such texts and/or a
      listing of them?

      kp
    • incognito_lightbringer
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2003
        The list at gnosis.org is excellent, but here's another I've used

        http://www.hermeticfellowship.org/Bibliotheca/HFGnosticBiblio.html

        The best way to compile a comprehensive bibliography is to search
        yourself on new and used booksites and on internet search.

        Some tips: many authors on any list have written more than one book
        on the subject of gnosticism. So do a search by specific author to
        see what else they've written.

        Also, key words for searching by subject: gnosticism, gnostic,
        gnosis, nag hammadi, hermeticism, hermetic, early christianity,
        mandean, manichean, valentinian, sethian, and so on...

        This will bring up lists of current and out of print books. Many
        OOP's you can find on cheap on used book sites.

        Also, try looking by publisher. Leiden Brill is a reputable
        publisher of religious scholarship. For example, their 'Nag Hammadi
        Studies' series, but their books are a bit pricy. Many are out of
        print. A good place to find difficult to obtain Leiden is Het Oosters
        Antiquarium. Their email address is smitskamp@... , the
        website is http://www.oriental.demon.nl/

        Another thing to do is to take books you already have and look in the
        bibliography at the back. Authors build on other authors work and
        you'll find titles that are common source material for more than one
        book.

        New books:
        www.amazon.com
        www.amazon.co.uk