thanks/ part 2

  • nadarien28
    Message 1 of 97 , Oct 18, 2003
      Thanks for helping me with my question about the gnostic's view of
      creation. I found the links informative, and was intrigued by the
      notion that the entire story is a sort of allegory for the mind,
      that in a sense the creation did not happen until human
      consciousness arose as a way to explain consciousness.

      I have turned to gnosticism because of an experience that no other
      religion seems to take into account. I am trying to give a context
      to this experience, and I'm passionate about doing so. Forgive me,
      I am a pesky learner, a lover of literature, and a writer, so the
      question of motive keeps ringing in my head.

      I can understand Sophia creating Yaldaboath and his role in this
      world. I can't understand this: Why did the true god create Sophia
      in the first place? Everything I read treats her as pre-existing
      fact and doesn't quite explain where she came from or why she came
      at all. Whether the story is an allegory, metaphor, or truth, the
      story seems accidental, as if the true God created Sophia without
      purpose or reason, just for the sake of creating. Perhaps that is
      part of the meaning, that in the end this is all a happy accident. I
      also recognize that I am hardly an expert on the subject, and
      perhaps I just haven't come across the relevant text. Is there an
      explanation anywhere for why the true God created anything, before
      the material world came as an end result?

      I thank you for your help and for sharing your knowledge.

      Michael Matejka
    • Terje Bergersen
      Message 97 of 97 , Nov 17 3:50 AM
        > Interesting to hear it put that way - I haven't read Bauer (yet), so
        > Gnostic Gospels felt like an historian exploring new ground. Based
        > on her bibliography and notes, I at least had a sense that Pagels was
        > leaning on Bauer.

        As far as I can see, Walter Bauer is considered somewhat of a pioneer
        in the investigative genre of "Early Christian" scholarship - especially
        with the Comittee to which Pagels belonged (the Coptic Gnostic Library
        Comittee of scholars).

        Anyways, I was just butting in to inform the readers of this list
        that they can make their own mind up, without much trouble and without
        parting with money - Bauer`s chief work is online

        Walter Bauer: Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity

        http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Resources/Bauer/

        Pax Pleromae

        --
        Terje Dahl Bergersen