A comment on the Consolamentum

  • elyon1234
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 10, 2003
      In my view the Consolamentum was the Spirit fire baptism as well as a
      consoling practice for the dying. I would not consider it a ritual.
      The practice of the laying on of the right hand onto the forehead and
      using the thumb and the middle finger to gently move the eyes up and
      toward the center of the forehead while transmitting spirit energy,
      brought the light of Christ into view. This effectively opened the
      passage to Heaven and established the parousia (presence of Christ).
      This allowed the aspirant to progress to the first death (ego) or an
      easier second death (physical).

      If the aspirant was lazy ;) or drawn back into the world, progress
      would have slowed and further infusion would have been necessary.

      peace,
      ely
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 11, 2003
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "elyon1234" <elyon1234@y...>
        wrote:
        > In my view the Consolamentum was the Spirit fire baptism as well as
        > consoling practice for the dying. I would not consider it a ritual.

        Hello, Ely.

        Baptism or a consoling practice could all take the form of a ritual.
        Ceremonial acts or actions need not even be elaborate and could
        pertain to any customary observance or practice, as you describe
        below.

        Cari

        > The practice of the laying on of the right hand onto the forehead
        and
        > using the thumb and the middle finger to gently move the eyes up
        and
        > toward the center of the forehead while transmitting spirit energy,
        > brought the light of Christ into view. This effectively opened the
        > passage to Heaven and established the parousia (presence of
        Christ).
        > This allowed the aspirant to progress to the first death (ego) or
        an
        > easier second death (physical).
        >
        > If the aspirant was lazy ;) or drawn back into the world, progress
        > would have slowed and further infusion would have been necessary.
        >
        > peace,
        > ely
      • elyon1234
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 12, 2003
          Yes Cari, what you say is very true. Ritual is a method for the
          transmission of spiritual practices from master to student. However,
          the actual transmission of the Spirit-fire Baptism is a living event
          and stands apart from the rituals of the many different cultures that
          revere the sacred event.

          Over time rituals tend to lose their Spirit-fire and become hollow
          empty gestures performed by spiritual pretenders.

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 12, 2003
            wrote:
            > Yes Cari, what you say is very true. Ritual is a method for the
            > transmission of spiritual practices from master to student.
            However,
            > the actual transmission of the Spirit-fire Baptism is a living
            event
            > and stands apart from the rituals of the many different cultures
            that
            > revere the sacred event.
            >
            > Over time rituals tend to lose their Spirit-fire and become hollow
            > empty gestures performed by spiritual pretenders.
            >
            > ely

            Okay, well then, the issue is not whether the Consolamentum is a
            ritual, so much as what kind of ritual has meaning for you. And,
            naturally, as far as what is empty vs. a "living event" and whether
            or not repetition over time renders it unfulfilling becomes a very
            individual matter and depends on the motivations of the participants.

            Cari
          • elyon1234
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 12, 2003
              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "elyon1234" <elyon1234@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Yes Cari, what you say is very true. Ritual is a method for the
              > > transmission of spiritual practices from master to student.
              > However,
              > > the actual transmission of the Spirit-fire Baptism is a living
              > event
              > > and stands apart from the rituals of the many different cultures
              > that
              > > revere the sacred event.
              > >
              > > Over time rituals tend to lose their Spirit-fire and become
              hollow
              > > empty gestures performed by spiritual pretenders.
              > >
              > > ely
              >

              > Okay, well then, the issue is not whether the Consolamentum is a
              > ritual, so much as what kind of ritual has meaning for you. And,
              > naturally, as far as what is empty vs. a "living event" and whether
              > or not repetition over time renders it unfulfilling becomes a very
              > individual matter and depends on the motivations of the
              participants.

              > Cari

              Yes but....

              The question of what must be done (ritual or meditative practice) in
              order gain "Supreme Gnosis" is the paramount question for the
              Gnostic.

              For the uninitiated the ritual holds the key to the mystery.

              For the initiated, the ritual focuses attention (consciousness) until
              he or she gains insight into that which the ritual points to. That
              revelation will also reveal the rituals inherent emptiness. The
              ritual is discarded and the internal bodily stance (the underlying
              wisdom of the ritual) that produces the outpouring of spirit becomes
              the focus

              For the awakened, all ritual is empty but is employed as
              "skillful means" to assist in the aspirants progress toward "Supreme
              Gnosis"

              Initiation usually takes place as a ritualistic event. However the
              techniques revealed in the ritual event need not be engaged in
              ritualistically to be effective.

              Ritual has degrees of complexity and involvement and does effectively
              concentrate the mind to a point. But in the end, we must transcend
              thought (rituals medium). The division between the observer and the
              observed, the doer and the done dissolves and there is only the
              indescribable one.

              Peace

              ely
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 12, 2003
                wrote:
                > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "elyon1234" <elyon1234@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Yes Cari, what you say is very true. Ritual is a method for the
                > > > transmission of spiritual practices from master to student.
                > > However,
                > > > the actual transmission of the Spirit-fire Baptism is a living
                > > event
                > > > and stands apart from the rituals of the many different
                cultures
                > > that
                > > > revere the sacred event.
                > > >
                > > > Over time rituals tend to lose their Spirit-fire and become
                > hollow
                > > > empty gestures performed by spiritual pretenders.
                > > >
                > > > ely
                > >

                > > Okay, well then, the issue is not whether the Consolamentum is a
                > > ritual, so much as what kind of ritual has meaning for you. And,
                > > naturally, as far as what is empty vs. a "living event" and
                whether
                > > or not repetition over time renders it unfulfilling becomes a
                very
                > > individual matter and depends on the motivations of the
                > participants.
                > >

                > > Cari
                >
                > Yes but....
                >
                > The question of what must be done (ritual or meditative practice)
                in
                > order gain "Supreme Gnosis" is the paramount question for the
                > Gnostic.
                >

                > For the uninitiated the ritual holds the key to the mystery.
                >
                > For the initiated, the ritual focuses attention (consciousness)
                until
                > he or she gains insight into that which the ritual points to. That
                > revelation will also reveal the rituals inherent emptiness. The
                > ritual is discarded and the internal bodily stance (the underlying
                > wisdom of the ritual) that produces the outpouring of spirit
                becomes
                > the focus
                >
                > For the awakened, all ritual is empty but is employed as
                > "skillful means" to assist in the aspirants progress toward "Supreme
                > Gnosis"
                >

                > Initiation usually takes place as a ritualistic event. However the
                > techniques revealed in the ritual event need not be engaged in
                > ritualistically to be effective.
                >
                > Ritual has degrees of complexity and involvement and does
                effectively
                > concentrate the mind to a point. But in the end, we must transcend
                > thought (rituals medium). The division between the observer and the
                > observed, the doer and the done dissolves and there is only the
                > indescribable one.
                >
                > Peace
                >
                > ely

                ely, I read your words with interest. We see an initiatory path
                alluded to in writings such as _The Gospel of Philip_. You, in
                addition, seem to imply that "ritual holds the key" in an initiation
                process in order to gain Gnosis. Do you feel that "Spirit-fire"
                Baptism (like the Consolamentum) is a necessary component in order to
                attain Gnosis? Or do you believe it is possible for some to attain
                Gnosis with different types of initiatory experiences?

                Cari
              • elyon1234
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 13, 2003
> [...]
                  > > concentrate the mind to a point. But in the end, we must
                  transcend
                  > > thought (rituals medium). The division between the observer and
                  the
                  > > observed, the doer and the done dissolves and there is only the
                  > > indescribable one.
                  > >
                  > > Peace
                  > >
                  > > ely
                  >

                  > ely, I read your words with interest. We see an initiatory path
                  > alluded to in writings such as _The Gospel of Philip_. You, in
                  > addition, seem to imply that "ritual holds the key" in an
                  initiation
                  > process in order to gain Gnosis. Do you feel that "Spirit-fire"
                  > Baptism (like the Consolamentum) is a necessary component in order
                  > attain Gnosis? Or do you believe it is possible for some to attain
                  > Gnosis with different types of initiatory experiences?

                  Cari,

                  The path to Gnosis is universal and is dictated by the psychophysical
                  structure of the body-mind complex. The path of return is the
                  reverse
                  of the path that we traveled as we came into the world.

                  The four keys to Gnosis (meditative practices) are used to dissolve
                  our attachment to form and facilitate our return. The initiation
                  process transmits direct insight into the nature of consciousness and
                  also provides an infusion of Spirit to jump-start the process.

                  I have found that the four keys exist in the mystic traditions of all
                  the major religions. Their description varies with culture.

                  To answer your question, I think that Gnosis (spiritual awakening) is
                  only gained by the inversion of attention and inquiry into the nature
                  of the observer.

                  Anyone with strength, courage and determination can see/feel into his
                  or her own death without the benefit of initiation or the associated
                  spirit infusion. However, personal instruction and transmission does
                  significantly ease the struggle to know God.

                  ely
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 13, 2003
                    wrote:

                    > Cari,
                    >
                    > The path to Gnosis is universal and is dictated by the
                    psychophysical
                    > structure of the body-mind complex. The path of return is the
                    > reverse
                    > of the path that we traveled as we came into the world.
                    >
                    > The four keys to Gnosis (meditative practices) are used to dissolve
                    > our attachment to form and facilitate our return. The initiation
                    > process transmits direct insight into the nature of consciousness
                    and
                    > also provides an infusion of Spirit to jump-start the process.
                    >
                    > I have found that the four keys exist in the mystic traditions of
                    all
                    > the major religions. Their description varies with culture.
                    >
                    > To answer your question, I think that Gnosis (spiritual awakening)
                    is
                    > only gained by the inversion of attention and inquiry into the
                    nature
                    > of the observer.
                    >
                    > Anyone with strength, courage and determination can see/feel into
                    his
                    > or her own death without the benefit of initiation or the
                    associated
                    > spirit infusion. However, personal instruction and transmission
                    does
                    > significantly ease the struggle to know God.
                    >
                    > ely

                    Does your phrase "inversion of attention and inquiry into the nature
                    of the observer," have correlation with the "self-acquaintance"
                    mentioned in Gnostic writings? If so, then I would imagine that this
                    process would involve a struggle to some extent for most people,
                    regardless of jump-starting procedures. "Personal instruction and
                    transmission" seems to me to be beneficial and legitimate only if it
                    directs the initial decision and continuing responsibility for this
                    process of self-introspection back to the aspirant.

                    I admit I'm still having a problem understanding how someone (or a
                    specific practice or process) can literally "infuse spirit." Gnostic
                    texts describe discovering the pneumatic spark within. "If we become
                    acquainted with the truth, we shall find the fruits of truth within
                    us. If we join with it, it will receive our fullness." (_Gospel of
                    Philip_) IOW, the process seems to include recognizing the truth
                    within us, and then truth receiving *our* fullness. Any jump-
                    starting could be viewed as helping to make someone conscious of a
                    seed or spark already within them, but would this entail spirit that
                    needs to be infused or transmitted by some other human to start the
                    process?

                    Do any members have any Gnostic texts at their fingertips that might
                    discuss this or can anyone who has had this experience share with us
                    how or whether this would veritably work within the context of
                    attaining Gnosis?

                    Cari
                  • elyon1234
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 13, 2003
> [...]
                      become
                      > acquainted with the truth, we shall find the fruits of truth within
                      > us. If we join with it, it will receive our fullness." (_Gospel of
                      > Philip_) IOW, the process seems to include recognizing the truth
                      > within us, and then truth receiving *our* fullness. Any jump-
                      > starting could be viewed as helping to make someone conscious of a
                      > seed or spark already within them, but would this entail spirit
                      that
                      > needs to be infused or transmitted by some other human to start the
                      > process?
                      >
                      > Do any members have any Gnostic texts at their fingertips that
                      might
                      > discuss this or can anyone who has had this experience share with
                      us
                      > how or whether this would veritably work within the context of

                      Cari,

                      The infusion of spirit (shakti) coupled with the hands on technique
                      (laying on of hands) delivered to the sixth center (third eye) breaks
                      or melts the sixth seal and opens the passage way through heaven.
                      After diligent practice (the wine press), consciousness is clarified
                      and gathered and the formation of the seed pearl occurs. The seed
                      pearl which is also the morning star and the Christ child will
                      stabilize, grow in intensity and eventually produce the blazing Sun
                      of God. At this point the bridal chamber is entered and the aspirant
                      giddily awaits union with the beloved. The final consummation is an
                      event that is governed by the Grace of God and cannot be manipulated
                      into occurring.

                      I have laid before you the secret of secrets.

                      Kyrie eleison,

                      ely
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 14, 2003
                        Ely, you state....

                        "Cari,

                        The infusion of spirit (shakti) coupled with the hands on technique
                        (laying on of hands) delivered to the sixth center (third eye)
                        breaks
                        or melts the sixth seal and opens the passage way through heaven.
                        After diligent practice (the wine press), consciousness is clarified
                        and gathered and the formation of the seed pearl occurs. The seed
                        pearl which is also the morning star and the Christ child will
                        stabilize, grow in intensity and eventually produce the blazing Sun
                        of God. At this point the bridal chamber is entered and the aspirant
                        giddily awaits union with the beloved. The final consummation is an
                        event that is governed by the Grace of God and cannot be manipulated
                        into occurring.

                        I have laid before you the secret of secrets.

                        Kyrie eleison,"

                        Please see the preceeding post to Steve.... it is relevent to the
                        intropolation of terms like "shakti" as well. Thank you.

                        PMCV
                      • elyon1234
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 18, 2003
                          PMCV,

                          I have interest in the interpretation of the works of the historical
                          Gnostics and communicating their meaning in a modern context. That
                          context will hopefully
                          allow the direct application of the wisdom of our Gnostic forefathers.

                          The meaning of "shakti" is simply the "Holy Spirit" and if my use of
                          the Indian term offended you I apologize.

                          If my assertion of an interpretation as "True" also offends please
                          understand that I also claim that the veracity of the statement is
                          easily tested. However that proof requires direct application or
                          "hands on" testing to verify.

                          Any insight that I offer is given in the spirit of fraternity that our
                          historical Gnostic forefathers held in high esteem.

                          It is given without any expectation of worldly gain.

                          Peace,

                          ely

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 19, 2003
                            Hey ely, you state.....

                            "The meaning of "shakti" is simply the "Holy Spirit" and if my use of
                            the Indian term offended you I apologize."

                            Offend? Oh my goodness... no. I guess I may some times seem a lot
                            more harsh than I intend. You need to understand though, it is my
                            job, and the job of the other founders, to keep things on track. It
                            has nothing to do with personal offence, it is simply meant to point
                            out the purpose of the club. Not every one here is able to translate
                            eastern lingo into our specific context. Thus, we prefer that people
                            use terms that make sense in the Gnostic venue.

                            "Any insight that I offer is given in the spirit of fraternity that
                            our historical Gnostic forefathers held in high esteem."

                            In a way, that is exactly why we have tried to create a club that
                            has some historical concern. For one, I don't know any other club
                            that attempts it, but also it gives us something to chew concerning
                            how similar or different we really are from these ancient people.