Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: excerpta

  • Rodney Cecil
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
      On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:43:07 -0000
      "Gerry" <gerryhsp@...> wrote:
      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "wvdog61"
      > <wvdog61@7...> wrote:
      > > Can anyone tell me the difference between the
      > "Excerpts of
      > Theodotus"
      > > as found on gnosis.org's library, and the work of
      > the same title
      > > quoted by people such as Elaine Pagels? I notice
      > that the reference
      > > numbers don't match and none of the sayings listed
      > on gnosis.org's
      > > library seem to match any quotations I've read.
      > >
      > > Peace
      > >
      > > Rodney
      > Any chance you could toss out an example of one of those
      > passages
      > (with verse references)?  I'm currently trying to
      > track down some
      > similar inconsistencies from a non-canonical
      > source.  In this
      > particular case, I think I'm dealing with a mixture of
      > different
      > translations of the works and both liberal
      > interpretations &
      > paraphrasing by a couple groups referencing the material.
      > Gerry

      Hey Gerry,

      A typical example is from gnosis.org:

      This is a killer article by David Brons where he quotes

      "In Theodotus, the notion of being joined to an angel is
      linked to receiving the Name. (Excerpts of Theodotus

      But when I go to gnosis.org's page of Theodotus' Excerpta
      (http://gnosis.org/library/excr.htm)and check number 22
      here is what is listed:

      "XXII. Since the movement of the soul is self-originated,
      the grace of God demands from it what the soul possesses,
      willingness as its contribution to salvation. For the soul
      wishes to be its own good; which the Lord, however, gives
      it. For it is not devoid of sensation so as to be carried
      along like a body. Having is the result of taking, and
      taking of willing and desiring; and keeping hold of what
      one has received, of the exercise of care and of ability.
      Wherefore God has endowed the soul with free choice, that
      He may show it its duty, and that it choosing, may receive
      and retain."

      I have never found any quote of Theodotus on the page
      mentioned above.