tough song

  • lightquadrille
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2003
      serious inquiry, can anyone here see a Gnostic Connection, or a link
      to Mary Magdalene's as she would have been thought of in Victorian
      Times.

      Hard question.......but looking for a link. thanks

      Early One Morning, 18ish century, song writer unkonwn

      Early one morning, just as the sun was rising

      I heard a maid sing in the valley below
      "Oh don't deceive me, Oh never leave me,
      How could you use, a poor maiden so?"

      Remember the vows that you made to me truly
      Remember how tenderly you nestled close to me
      Gay is the garland, fresh are the roses
      I've culled from the garden to bind over thee.

      Here I now wander alone as I wonder
      Why did you leave me to sigh and complain
      I ask of the roses, why should I be forsaken,
      Why must I here in sorrow remain?

      Through yonder grove, by the spring that is running
      There you and I have so merrily played,
      Kissing and courting and gently sporting
      Oh, my innocent heart you've betrayed

      How could you slight so a pretty girl who loves you
      A pretty girl who loves you so dearly and warm?
      Though love's folly is surely but a fancy,
      Still it should prove to me sweeter than your scorn.

      Soon you will meet with another pretty maiden
      Some pretty maiden, you'll court her for a while;
      Thus ever ranging, turning and changing
      Always seeking for a girl that is new.

      Thus sang the maiden, her sorrows bewailing
      Thus sang the poor maid in the valley below
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2003
        Hello Lightquadrille

        This certainly is a song that reminds me a bit of the form and style
        of 12th century work that could be interperated esoterically (I
        would guess that the similarity is in fact intentional on the part
        of the Victorian author). I actually run a club expressly for the
        subject of esoteric romance in this earlier era...

        However, "esoteric" is not the same as "Gnostic". And, the
        connections to Mary that could exist have nothing to do with
        historic Gnosticism. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this kind of
        thing did not exist within Gnosticism... it did... just that even if
        it is intended (something I doubt from a Victorian author) it does
        not imply any Gnostic backdrop. At that point it falls outside the
        focus of this forum.

        PMCV

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "lightquadrille" <deluxet@q...>