Re: Cathar rather harsh opinions

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mangum Murdock
      <mangummurdock@y...> wrote:

      > [...]
      > It's not to permitted to swear in any case, and for this reason it
      is a mortal sin.

      > That nobody can be saved but by them.

      I see that Cari has already addressed a comment in your other post to
      which I was just now replying, but let me follow it up by pointing
      out an example in this post.

      If people are dependent on a particular group (or sacrament) for
      their spiritual salvation, then it is obviously not an individual
      process. In fact, if something like "swearing" is considered
      a "mortal sin" (as opposed to the sin of ignorance), then it's quite
      apparent that gnosis has little soteriological value in such a system.