Re: [Gnosticism2] Gnostic fiction

  • Terje Bergersen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003

      > Hi
      >
      > I'm new to this group --- a science fiction writer, for many years
      > interested in gnosticism. I am trying to compile a list of fiction,
      > primarily novels, inspired by the gnostic tradition or gnostic
      > teachings. Already on my list are:
      > Monsieur
      > Voyage to Arcturus
      > Flight to Lucifer
      > Valis
      > Radio Free Albemuth (and other works by Dick)
      > The Mind Parasites.

      I`d like to add
      Imajica by Clive Barker, a warm suggestion..
      it goes full circle.
      The Great and Secret Show,
      and Everville (the latter a sequel)
      will cause people acquianted with Gnosticism to nod.

      Pax Pleromae

      --
      Terje Dahl Bergersen
      terje@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003
        Hi Terje

        A favorite quote from IMAJICA:

        "We can not walk too naked in this world. If we did, we would burn
        each others' eyes out."

        The veil holds, contains and protects; yet it also lies, seperates
        and imprisons. This is the paradox.

        Blackfire

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Terje Bergersen" <terje@b...>
        wrote:

        > > Hi
        > >
        > > I'm new to this group --- a science fiction writer, for many years
        > > interested in gnosticism. I am trying to compile a list of
        fiction,
        > > primarily novels, inspired by the gnostic tradition or gnostic
        > > teachings. Already on my list are:
        > > Monsieur
        > > Voyage to Arcturus
        > > Flight to Lucifer
        > > Valis
        > > Radio Free Albemuth (and other works by Dick)
        > > The Mind Parasites.
        >

        > I`d like to add
        > Imajica by Clive Barker, a warm suggestion..
        > it goes full circle.
        > The Great and Secret Show,
        > and Everville (the latter a sequel)
        > will cause people acquianted with Gnosticism to nod.
        >

        > Pax Pleromae
        >
        > --
        > Terje Dahl Bergersen
        > terje@b...
        > http://terje.bergersen.net/
      • Thomas Leavitt
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003
          ... there was this wonderful book my Dad had, which I think I might have
          appropriated, but don't know where is at this point... the author claimed to
          have recovered the memories of a former reincarnation (at least I think that
          was the story) who lived during the time of the Cathars... my guess is that
          it is out of print, but I read it four or five times when I was younger. Do
          you remember the title, Dad?

          For some reason, I recall Arthur Guirdham as the author... the title I was
          able to find, " Cathars And Reincarnation: The Record Of A Past Life In 13th
          Century France" doesn't ring a bell (perhaps because it is somewhat
          forgettable), but the description matches my recollection. I don't know if
          this qualifies as fiction, technically, but it was a bang up story. :)

          Regards,
          Thomas Leavitt
        • Paul Kieniewicz
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003
            Hi Thomas
            Yes, the author was Arthur Guirdham. The first book was "The Cathars and Reincarnation", and the second was "We are One Another". They are both intriguing but I ended up wondering how much of them could I believe. One detail that was interesting, was the Author's assertion that the Cathar perfecti wore blue robes --- everyone assumed that they wore only black. But apparently some subsequent research (I don't know the source) suggests that in the times of the Inquisition, the Cathars did wear blue.

            Paul K

            Thomas Leavitt <thomas@...> wrote:
            ... there was this wonderful book my Dad had, which I think I might have
            appropriated, but don't know where is at this point... the author claimed to
            have recovered the memories of a former reincarnation (at least I think that
            was the story) who lived during the time of the Cathars... my guess is that
            it is out of print, but I read it four or five times when I was younger. Do
            you remember the title, Dad?

            For some reason, I recall Arthur Guirdham as the author... the title I was
            able to find, " Cathars And Reincarnation: The Record Of A Past Life In 13th
            Century France" doesn't ring a bell (perhaps because it is somewhat
            forgettable), but the description matches my recollection. I don't know if
            this qualifies as fiction, technically, but it was a bang up story. :)

            Regards,
            Thomas Leavitt

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            click here

            Author of "Immortality Machine"
            Visit Planet Erda at http://www.PlanetErda.com

            Do you Yahoo!?

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003
              Hello Thomas

              On 25-Sep-03, you wrote:

              > ... there was this wonderful book my Dad had, which I think I might
              > have appropriated, but don't know where is at this point... the
              > author claimed to have recovered the memories of a former
              > reincarnation (at least I think that was the story) who lived during
              > the time of the Cathars... my guess is that it is out of print, but
              > I read it four or five times when I was younger. Do you remember the
              > title, Dad?
              >
              > For some reason, I recall Arthur Guirdham as the author... the title
              > I was able to find, " Cathars And Reincarnation: The Record Of A
              > Past Life In 13th Century France" doesn't ring a bell (perhaps
              > because it is somewhat forgettable), but the description matches my
              > recollection. I don't know if this qualifies as fiction,
              > technically, but it was a bang up story. :)
              >
              > Regards,
              > Thomas Leavitt

              That is the title. The first half is a reasonably good history of the
              Cathars, the second is the past life regression, which I personally
              think qualifies as fiction. My guess is it sold better that way. :-)

              Everyone seems to be forgetting Zoe Olderberg's fiction (yes I know
              she wrote history too). I seem to remember several novels she did on
              the Cathars. I didn't mention them sooner, as I thought we were
              sticking to classical Gnosticism, and the Cathars may not even
              qualify as real Manacheans, much less Gnostics, though they were in
              the spirit of....

            • Terje Bergersen
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
                Yup,Mike..
                Guirdham`s book belongs in literary history along with
                Oldenbourg`s Massacre at Montesegur.. (shielding myself
                against hurled paperfly)...

                As we`re on the subject of the Cathars..
                Anyone read Theodore Roszack`s Flicker?
                I found it very entertaining. :-)

                Pax Pleromae

                --
                Terje Dahl Bergersen
                terje@...
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
                  I haven't read "Flicker" but will check it out. Can you tell me something more about it?
                  BTW --- Thank you for putting me onto "Clive Barker" --- I'm going to try "Imajica", though I wonder if I'll get through all 1,000 pages of it.

                  Speaking of Cathars, who I believe were gnostics, I spent a summer recently at Montsegur. I was rather surprised to learn that the fortress on the mountain is not the same one where the Cathars were holed up in 1243, but was erected quite a few years later as a military outpost. The evidence for this includes coins that were found included in the walls,  and which postdate the tragedy. On the summit, you can see remnants of the earlier village. There go some of the theories of how the Cathars constructed a "solar temple".

                   Still, the area is magnificent and carries a great feeling of peace.

                  Paul K

                  http://www.PlanetErda.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
                    > I haven't read "Flicker" but will check it out. Can you tell me something
                    > more about it?

                    It involves: A young man discovering the
                    world,relationships,women,betrayal,pride,arrogance and the whole enchilada
                    in or by way of the celluloid medium (films,flicks,movies)..his beginning
                    fascination and subsequent "professional" obsession for the films and
                    carriere of a swiss immigrant filmmaker going by the name of Max Caslte
                    (Max von Kastell), from there the ride gets wilder.. it involves a secret
                    Catholic society founded to combat the evils of the Zoetrope, an invention
                    of the Knights Templars with the help of clever Arabic alchemists..wherein
                    images take on a life of themselves through the medium of light/fire.
                    About a quaint Orphanage in the swiss alps wherein charges are instructed
                    in the technology of film-making...about Jean-Paul Sartres definition of
                    Movies as a "the rape of the soul".. The story has a twist, if I gave away
                    too much of it, it wouldnt be as entertaining,funny..or exciting.
                    oh, and theres Cathars... Guirdhams modern day Cathars (I`ve met some, not
                    a sour word from me..I swear!) and ..uhmmm..the other kind.
                    The book works well for media-oriented/media-bored,above all nostalgic
                    cinemaphiles, just as Eco`s Name of the Rose + Foucaults Pendulum works
                    for Bibliophiles of the same orientation..

                    > BTW --- Thank you for putting me onto "Clive Barker" --- I'm going to try
                    > "Imajica", though I wonder if I'll get through all 1,000 pages of it.

                    It is in some ways the makings of two books, it was just cut up and
                    published as two books initially, but it wasnt "cut" in the right place
                    for it to "work"....

                    > Speaking of Cathars, who I believe were gnostics, I spent a summer
                    > recently at Montsegur. I was rather surprised to learn that the fortress
                    > on the mountain is not the same one where the Cathars were holed up in
                    > 1243, but was erected quite a few years later as a military outpost. The
                    > evidence for this includes coins that were found included in the walls,
                    > and which postdate the tragedy. On the summit, you can see remnants of the
                    > earlier village. There go some of the theories of how the Cathars
                    > constructed a "solar temple".

                    I wasnt aware of this.. well, as far as I understood the Fortress itself
                    did not "fall", it was its function as stronghold for the dissenting
                    nobility and the Cathars which fell...anyways, I have yet to visit the
                    site.. I have heard very good things of Peyrepetrusse and the other
                    "cathar castles" and towns from people who have travlled there..

                    > Still, the area is magnificent and carries a great feeling of peace.

                    I believe that. I treasure the "stories" some of my friends have given me
                    of the place, but hope to find my own..

                    Pax Pleromae

                    --
                    Terje Dahl Bergersen
                    terje@...
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
                      Thank you, Terje, for the synopsis. It sound very interesting. I looked at your website, and see that you're involved in the gnostic movement in Norway. Can you tell me something about the level of interest in gnosticism,  in Norway?