Bardesanes/Bardaisan

  • wvdog61
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2003
      This past spring I read Bishop Hoeller's "Gnosticism: New Light on
      the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing". One of the figures he goes
      in to some detail about is Bardesanes, including him as one of
      several ancient Gnostics. A couple months ago I had an opportunity
      to read Bardesanes "Laws of Divers Countries". I actually just sort
      of skimmed through it, but could find nothing that seemed very
      gnostic. The on-line "Catholic Encyclopedia" seems to treat him in
      an article under his name as though it considers him to have been a
      true son of the Church. I believe that Epiphanius, in his "Panarion"
      excoriates Bardesanes, presumably, as a gnostic. Does anyone know
      whether Bardesanes has been thought of as a gnostic due to anything
      he himself said or simply due to Epiphanius's charges?

      Peace,

      Rodney