Re: Mandaeans (was: Re: Gnosticism and Christianity??)

    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 7 1:23 PM
      Hello lady_caritas

      On 07-Sep-03, you wrote:

      > [...]
      >> On the other hand, you really do effectively undermine part of my
      >> arguement before I even started by pointing out the individual
      > nature
      >> of Gnosis. However, let me point out that there is a difference
      >> between an individual pneumatic, and a religion that is conciously
      >> set up to foment it within the individual. A Catholic can also find
      >> Gnosis.... it does not make Catholicism "Gnostic".
      >>

      > PMCV, Mike, and all,... ah, I'm reading and catching up here.
      >
      > There is no doubt that gnosis requires an individual path;
      > otherwise, we become collective sheep in a herd of yet "another
      > psychic or hylic belief system." So, how does a "religion that is
      > consciously set up to foment" gnosis within the individual escape
      > the pitfalls of organized religion?
      >
      > I would say that one underpinning would be the emphasis of self-
      > acquaintance, a theme we see running through Gnostic scriptures. I'm
      > starting to run through, er, rather slowly make my way through some
      > Mandaean scripture ~
      > http://gnosis.org/library/mand.htm and readings at ~
      > http://www.mandaeanworld.com/mandaeanworld1.html
      >
      > There is definitely a moral system in place; however, I'm not ready
      > to entirely discount the possibility of fomenting gnosis. We're
      > going to see social mores in place for cultural reasons, and these
      > will most likely be inextricable from a theocentric system,
      > especially one as exclusive as the Mandaeans.
      >
      > And, there is a well-established mythology. Possibly mythological
      > archetypes could work their wonders on the psyche on the road to
      > awareness. However, I haven't yet seen emphasis on guidance toward
      > self-discovery. I'll need to read more. Anyone more familiar with
      > this scripture?

      It has been several years since I attended lectures on Mandeanism at
      the church in Hollywood, and read some of lady D's stuff, but to be
      honest, I remember this discovery element clearly only in the
      initiation rites for the priests. I will pursue your sources. To me
      the cosmology was so Gnostic, it overpowered my perception of
      everything else, but the presentation struck me as this is how it is
      rather than you have to find this out, but maybe that still works, if
      you internalize it.

    • rjpep@usfamily.net
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 18 5:30 AM
        Thanks for the comeback, Cari. For myself, of the 3 quotes you sent, this
        one I think speaks best.
        "Let each of us, too, burrow for the root of evil that is within, and root
        it up from his or her heart. It will be rooted up when it is recognized."

        Once we have looked inside and recognized it we are equipped to recognize it
        in others, and perhaps confront it. Whether or not that requires an
        acquaintance w/ Godde, I remain unsure. It was for me but I can't speak for
        all or in shoulds. roberta