Mandaeans (was: Re: Gnosticism and Christianity??)

    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 7, 2003
      [...]
      > On the other hand, you really do effectively undermine part of my
      > arguement before I even started by pointing out the individual
      nature
      > of Gnosis. However, let me point out that there is a difference
      > between an individual pneumatic, and a religion that is conciously
      > set up to foment it within the individual. A Catholic can also find
      > Gnosis.... it does not make Catholicism "Gnostic".

      PMCV, Mike, and all,... ah, I'm reading and catching up here.

      There is no doubt that gnosis requires an individual path; otherwise,
      we become collective sheep in a herd of yet "another psychic or hylic
      belief system." So, how does a "religion that is consciously set up
      to foment" gnosis within the individual escape the pitfalls of
      organized religion?

      I would say that one underpinning would be the emphasis of self-
      acquaintance, a theme we see running through Gnostic scriptures. I'm
      starting to run through, er, rather slowly make my way through some
      Mandaean scripture ~
      http://gnosis.org/library/mand.htm
      and readings at ~
      http://www.mandaeanworld.com/mandaeanworld1.html

      There is definitely a moral system in place; however, I'm not ready
      to entirely discount the possibility of fomenting gnosis. We're
      going to see social mores in place for cultural reasons, and these
      will most likely be inextricable from a theocentric system,
      especially one as exclusive as the Mandaeans.

      And, there is a well-established mythology. Possibly mythological
      archetypes could work their wonders on the psyche on the road to
      awareness. However, I haven't yet seen emphasis on guidance toward
      self-discovery. I'll need to read more. Anyone more familiar with
      this scripture?

      Cari
    • rjpep@usfamily.net
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 18, 2003
        Thanks for the comeback, Cari. For myself, of the 3 quotes you sent, this
        one I think speaks best.
        "Let each of us, too, burrow for the root of evil that is within, and root
        it up from his or her heart. It will be rooted up when it is recognized."

        Once we have looked inside and recognized it we are equipped to recognize it
        in others, and perhaps confront it. Whether or not that requires an
        acquaintance w/ Godde, I remain unsure. It was for me but I can't speak for
        all or in shoulds. roberta