Re: Hi everyone!

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "phinehas777" <phinehas777@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, I'm new to the group but not to Gnosticism. I have believed in
      > form of Gnosticism for over 20 years.
      >
      > I know that my own views are not in the majority of what most
      > Gnostics believe, but just like Mainstream "Judeo-Christianity"
      there
      > are various branches of thought.
      > I have studied all of the various schools of thought concerning
      > Gnosticism and accept what I accept, and reject what I reject; I'm
      > sure that most of you have done the same thing; after all, you
      only
      > believe that which you accept to be Truth, and that can not be
      forced
      > upon anyone.
      >
      > Anyway, I just wanted to say hi!
      >

      > Tim

      Hi, Tim. Welcome to the group. You make a good point about
      individual paths. I believe ongoing personal experience coupled with
      critical examination trumps any secondhand faith in someone else's
      faith.

      An aside: I always get a kick out of reading a very witty spoof ("a
      special humor supplement") from an old issue of _Gnosis_ (Spring,
      1991).
      From "The Secret Dogma of the Confraternity of the Miraculous
      Inversion," p. 4:

      "Anyone who _does_ believe every point of another's
      personal delusional system (and every person's life IS
      a delusional system) should be viewed with suspicion
      and distrust as a dangerous lunatic, a hopeless moron,
      or a potential plagiarist! _No individual delusional
      system is fully and accurately transferable_!"

      Tim, perhaps your studies of classical Gnosticism will come in handy
      during discussion here. Feel free to add your comments to existing
      threads or begin one of your own.

      Also, as a reminder to any new members who might be new to
      Gnosticism, please be sure to check our "links" section, which offers
      a few ideas for introductory articles and further reading.