Hi everyone!

  • phinehas777
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi, I'm new to the group but not to Gnosticism. I have believed in a
      form of Gnosticism for over 20 years.

      I know that my own views are not in the majority of what most
      Gnostics believe, but just like Mainstream "Judeo-Christianity" there
      are various branches of thought.
      I have studied all of the various schools of thought concerning
      Gnosticism and accept what I accept, and reject what I reject; I'm
      sure that most of you have done the same thing; after all, you only
      believe that which you accept to be Truth, and that can not be forced
      upon anyone.

      Anyway, I just wanted to say hi!

      Tim
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2003
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "phinehas777" <phinehas777@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, I'm new to the group but not to Gnosticism. I have believed in
        > form of Gnosticism for over 20 years.
        >
        > I know that my own views are not in the majority of what most
        > Gnostics believe, but just like Mainstream "Judeo-Christianity"
        there
        > are various branches of thought.
        > I have studied all of the various schools of thought concerning
        > Gnosticism and accept what I accept, and reject what I reject; I'm
        > sure that most of you have done the same thing; after all, you
        only
        > believe that which you accept to be Truth, and that can not be
        forced
        > upon anyone.
        >
        > Anyway, I just wanted to say hi!
        >

        > Tim

        Hi, Tim. Welcome to the group. You make a good point about
        individual paths. I believe ongoing personal experience coupled with
        critical examination trumps any secondhand faith in someone else's
        faith.

        An aside: I always get a kick out of reading a very witty spoof ("a
        special humor supplement") from an old issue of _Gnosis_ (Spring,
        1991).
        From "The Secret Dogma of the Confraternity of the Miraculous
        Inversion," p. 4:

        "Anyone who _does_ believe every point of another's
        personal delusional system (and every person's life IS
        a delusional system) should be viewed with suspicion
        and distrust as a dangerous lunatic, a hopeless moron,
        or a potential plagiarist! _No individual delusional
        system is fully and accurately transferable_!"

        Tim, perhaps your studies of classical Gnosticism will come in handy
        during discussion here. Feel free to add your comments to existing
        threads or begin one of your own.

        Also, as a reminder to any new members who might be new to
        Gnosticism, please be sure to check our "links" section, which offers
        a few ideas for introductory articles and further reading.