Re: Gnosticism and Christianity??

    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 2 7:35 AM
      > Hello pmcvflag
      >
      > On 01-Sep-03, you wrote:
      >
      > >> There is a lot in Jonas' book, but there are more direct sources.
      > >> Do a search on http://www.gnosis.org/ under Mandeans, and you
      will
      > >> find some more direct material alluded to at least. An
      > >> anthropologist went to Iraq in the early 1900's and lived with
      > >> them, and reportedon their teachings.
      > >
      > > Are you talking about Drower? Or some one else? I seem to remember
      > > that Drower first labeled the Mandaeans as "Gnostics" after a
      > > conversation with Quispel, a position that she later recanted. If
      > > recall correctly (and once again I don't remember clearely) it was
      > > also Drower who started calling them "Mandaeans" in the first
      place,
      > > and that it was not thier traditional self designation.
      >
      > It was my understanding that this writer wrote from about 1890 to
      1910
      > or 1920, so it may not have been Dower. This writer actually lived
      > with the Mandeans.

      Hi, Mike and PMCV. Here's a webpage tracing research of Mandaeans.
      If you scroll about halfway down the page, you'll find 19th and 20th
      century research info. Lady Drower did have firsthand experience
      with the Mandaeans in the 1920's.

      http://iranmanda.com/html/Research.htm

      Also, here's an excerpt from her _Mandaeans of Iraq and Iran_ (first
      published in 1937, 2nd edition in 1962):

      http://www.farvardyn.com/mandaean.htm

      Cari
    • rjpep@usfamily.net
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 18 5:30 AM
        Thanks for the comeback, Cari. For myself, of the 3 quotes you sent, this
        one I think speaks best.
        "Let each of us, too, burrow for the root of evil that is within, and root
        it up from his or her heart. It will be rooted up when it is recognized."

        Once we have looked inside and recognized it we are equipped to recognize it
        in others, and perhaps confront it. Whether or not that requires an
        acquaintance w/ Godde, I remain unsure. It was for me but I can't speak for
        all or in shoulds. roberta