Re: Gnosticism and Christianity??

    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hey Mike

      "IMO they are gnostic enough, they must be looked at. More so than the
      Hermetic school, at least. Of course it is possible they began as
      Christian, and moved away under persecution, as a defense, but that
      is hardly probable. The most amazing thing about them is they gained
      the status as "people of the book" under Islam, something the local
      Manacheans and Hermetics never managed. If they aren't gnostics, they
      are first cousins. :-)"

      I can certainly buy that... first cousins. In fact, I'm not even
      arguing that they may not be full blown "Gnostic"... I would need to
      familiarize myself a little more with the movement before I take
      sides. In any event, they are certainly related enough to warrent
      observation here. Other movements I would include in the "first
      cousin" category would be the Manichaeans, and Marcion. The
      Cathars... hmmmm, maybe second cousins.

      I simply did wish to point out that thier inclusion in the grouping
      of "Gnostics" has been disputed (based on thier soteriology, which,
      according to the arguement, doesn't rest on Gnosis. Essentially it is
      the same arguement that has brought Manichaeans into question) There
      is also argument over whether or not the "Sabeans" are actually the
      Mandaeans, and thus were really recognized as "people of the book". I
      don't remember the specifics for that dispute though, so I see no
      reason to worry about that detail unless you do.

      PMCV
    • rjpep@usfamily.net
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 18, 2003
        Thanks for the comeback, Cari. For myself, of the 3 quotes you sent, this
        one I think speaks best.
        "Let each of us, too, burrow for the root of evil that is within, and root
        it up from his or her heart. It will be rooted up when it is recognized."

        Once we have looked inside and recognized it we are equipped to recognize it
        in others, and perhaps confront it. Whether or not that requires an
        acquaintance w/ Godde, I remain unsure. It was for me but I can't speak for
        all or in shoulds. roberta