Re: Gnosticism and Christianity??

    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 1, 2003
      Well, Mervyn... sounds like you are in the right place. Feel free to
      pull up a chair and jump in on the conversations.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Mervyn Georges <mgeorges38@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi PMCV,
      >
      > Thanks a lot for the welcome and your commentary, I really
      appreciate it. I have an interest in knowing what the true history of
      Christianity is and understanding the inception of the concepts that
      makeup this religion. The word Gnosticism has appeared in quite a few
      places associated with an esoteric version of Christianity so I am
      pursuing it further to learn more.

      > pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > Hey MG, welcome to the club. to get right to your questions...
      >
      > "First off, does Gnosticism predate Christianity?"
      >
      > This is a matter of scholastic debate. Some scholors, like
      Petrement,
      > say "no", while others , like Pearson, say "yes". Petrement's date
      > for the advent of Gnosticism is particularly late, and has not
      stood
      > the test of critical observations. The concensus keeps pushing the
      > date back little by little, not as far as Pearson, but there is
      > serious possibility that Gnosticism existed within Judism in the
      > first century BCE.
      >
      > "How is Gnosticism related to Christianity?"
      >
      > Most of the surviving Gnostic sources are Christian. Outside the
      > probibility of pre-Christian Jewish Gnosticism (which some believe
      > be the original source of Christainity, though that is not proven
      in
      > any way) the majority of Gnosticism is Christian in context.
      >
      > "Does Gnosticism address ideas regarding Jesus Christ and the
      trinity
      > (Father, Son, Holy Ghost)? Thanks."
      >
      > The notion of the "trinity" is a later invention in Christianity,
      and
      > it did not exist at the time of Gnosticism. There were other ideas
      of
      > tripartite divisions, but they did not reflect the doctrin of the
      > trinity. The understanding of Jesus that we find in Gnostic texts
      are
      > also different from modern Christianity. Generally they are
      docetic,
      > sometimes whith a hint of adoptionism. Since the soteriology
      > (understanding of salvation) of Gnosticism is very different from
      > modern Christianity, the role that Jesus plays is very different.
      >
      > May I ask, what is your background, and your interest in gnosticism?

      Service.

    • rjpep@usfamily.net
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 18, 2003
        Thanks for the comeback, Cari. For myself, of the 3 quotes you sent, this
        one I think speaks best.
        "Let each of us, too, burrow for the root of evil that is within, and root
        it up from his or her heart. It will be rooted up when it is recognized."

        Once we have looked inside and recognized it we are equipped to recognize it
        in others, and perhaps confront it. Whether or not that requires an
        acquaintance w/ Godde, I remain unsure. It was for me but I can't speak for
        all or in shoulds. roberta