Re: jesus incarnation? Reply by Tip

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
      To respond to this post in a way that is relevent to the club, let me
      first point out that any "historical" analysis concerning Moses is
      speculative at best, at worst it runs the risk of falling into "Holy
      Blood Holy Grail" kind of sensationalism. Of course, the real
      question is how this pertains to Gnosticism.....

      Let me then include my response to Sarutobi

      Antisemitism is not a Gnostic principle. Many of the early Gnostics
      were Jews, and Gnosticism is, itself, a Jewish Hellenic syncratism.
      If Dr Pearson's historical speculations are correct, then the early
      Sethian movement can be placed firmly in the category of "Jewish
      sect".

      I would also point out to Sarutobi, that some modern forms of Judism
      have a notion of "Demiurge" as well. The Kabbalah does not see it's
      prime source, called "En Soph", as the same as it's physical world
      molder, called "Metatron".

      We really must be careful how we categorize Gnosticism in it's
      relation to Judism, there is a lot of misinformation out there.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Don Tipton" <gizzard2003@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Gerry & All: (Don Tipton)
      >
      > I'm replying to your post as a new member, forgive
      me
      > if I tell you who & what I am first to let you see the perspective
      > of my reply.
      >
      > I am a 72 yr old coot that spent his lifetime as an American
      > Military Intelligence Agent from 1948 - 1984. During this period
      > I 'clandestinely' was assigned to be an agent of the law as a
      > District Attorney Investigator for 15 yrs to survey if intelligence
      > work and the law are/was compatible or could work together under
      our
      > constitution. (I don't know what they decided) I have a credential
      > to teach public school from the 1st grade to college level courses,
      > am in very good health, married with one daughter who spent 7 yrs
      as
      > a paratrooper in the 82nd airborne. (US Army)
      >
      > I've been to every continent during my military occupation
      years,
      > and have written three books that are currently advertised on
      > amazon.com & Barnes & Noble.com and a biography titled 'the Making
      > of a Spy' published by Infinity at www.buybooksontheweb.com.
      > I am an arch-consrvative in most ways but there are areas regarding
      > social justice that I lean towards bettering the system by
      > instituting needed reforms. My area of competence is about ancient
      > history of the Middleast. Two of my books are about the people of
      > the region.
      >
      > Now to my reply to your post:
      > RE: Degradation of Judaism by the
      > Gnostics:
      > As a student of ancient middleast history I too revile
      > Judaism as a 'partially false' religion. Moses, the greatest figure
      > in Judaic lore did not ordain the Judaic Priesthood, he ordained
      the
      > Priesthood of Aaron. This makes Judaism a false religion, and I can
      > prove that by historic and Liturgical evidence, and Literary
      > Criticism techniques. The Judaic Tribes were big trouble for Moses
      > from the beginning of the Exodus period and they were part of the
      > Egyptian Temple of Thebes Priesthood while they were in Egypt. (410
      > yrs) (Inter-marriage produced half Egyptian/Judaic Priests that led
      > a rebellion against Moses time after time in the Wilderness of
      Shur)

      > Aaron was the only legitimate priest of the Hebrews. The Judaics
      > re-wrote the history of their past in the Genesis book after they
      > spent 70 yrs in Exile in Babylon, and weaved a bit of mesopotamian
      > history and lore in at the same time to mitigagte Moses Laws.
      >
      > The Judaics blamed the priesthood of Aaron for the fall of
      Israel

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
        Sarutobi

        You state....

        "i've read much about it, i understand it pretty well, but its the
        truth i'm really seeking that will give me purpose to believe and
        follow"

        The question here becomes, not whether you have read enough about
        Gnosticism, but whether what you read has been accurate. If you are
        looking to "believe and follow" you have come to the wrong place.

        There are some very important reasons that the cosmology is the way
        it is in Gnosticism, and if you find it "difficult to accept" then
        the very notion of needing to simply believe it shows that perhaps
        you don't understand Gnosticism as well as you keep telling us you
        do. Not to offend you, just to point out that I think you are viewing
        Gnosticism in exactly the terms that the whole point of Gnosticism
        meant to over-ride.

        You say you have "looked up" for guidance, the point here is to look
        in a completely different direction for guidance. To start with
        though, it is important that you have a concept of the MEANING of the
        myths we are talking about. They are allegories, and I believe
        perhaps you have not understood thier point as well as you believe
        you have.

        This, of course, is a seperate topic.

        PMCV
      • walkinginclogs@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
          Do you think that the Jews were ever slaves in Egypt as Genesis says, or did
          they just make this up so that people would feel sorry for them? I had
          problems with the fact that it said that God had the Israelites kill out the
          residents of the Promised Land, in order to make room for them. It said his reason
          was that they worshipped false gods. But were they even given a chance to know
          who the true God was? Sounds much like what we did to the American Indians.
        • Penndragon
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
            MM Sarutobi496

            Gnosticism itself doesn't degrade the Jewish God. However many Gnostics have
            come to see him as the Demiurgus which in my eyes is a misinterpretation of
            the message. They've taken a passage which is about he blind following of
            the law as it were and interpreted it as an evil god. The Gnostic texts have
            YHWH protrayed not as an Evil Creator, rather as one who mistakenly thought
            he was the creator and got reprimanded (called blind) for pronouncing
            himself as such.

            MP
            Penn

            --
            The Universe is in each person in such a way that each person is in it; and
            so every person in the Universe is the Universe.

            Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa

          • Penndragon
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
              MM Don

              Actually it doesn't make for a false religion. Judaic in the sense of the
              Jewish people of which Arron was supposed to be. So in this sense the
              preisthood of Arron is still a judaic preisthood. However another point is
              that Moses and Arron as they appear in the bible seem to be purely
              allegorical characters, i.e. they never existed in real life.

              MP
              Penn

              --

            • Penndragon
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
                MM PMCV

                And then there's the ole how have I interpreted what I've read bit. Many
                factors contribute to how we understand something. Oft times we interepret
                in a way which we want to interpret rather than what was intended to be
                said.

                MP
                Penn

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
                  MM my friend

                  No, I don't think they were ever slaves there. Unwanted immigrants maybe. My
                  understanding is that the entire bible is a set of allegories and not
                  literal history.

                  MP
                  Penn

                  --
                  The Universe is in each person in such a way that each person is in it; and
                  so every person in the Universe is the Universe.

                  Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa

                  > Do you think that the Jews were ever slaves in Egypt as Genesis says, or
                  did
                  > they just make this up so that people would feel sorry for them? I had
                  > problems with the fact that it said that God had the Israelites kill out
                  the
                  > residents of the Promised Land, in order to make room for them. It said
                  his reason
                  > was that they worshipped false gods. But were they even given a chance to
                  know
                  > who the true God was? Sounds much like what we did to the American
                  Indians.

                • sarutobi496
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                    Judaism (alot of that misinformation comes from muslim sources ;)),
                    the Jewish people have always told me a "totally" opposite history
                    of their people, that everything in the Torah is exactly how it was
                    in Moses' time, and nothing can ever be changed or ever will be.

                    there seems to be alot of misinformation about Yahweh and the Jewish
                    Religion, and alot of Biblical verses are misunderstood by non-
                    conformists who reject Jewish tradition and havent lived it......its
                    actually the most beautiful religion i've ever come across without
                    the mystical aspect, i've never met more modest people either.

                    i've spent most of my life not believing these kind of people,
                    people though, people like the christians and muslims who are too
                    fake. However with Judaism its been a little different. From my
                    research its been very accurate and understanding, both the history
                    and its beliefs in a benevolent God. still i've always been on the
                    mystical paths/eastern paths, so thats why i'm attracted to
                    gnosticism. I've read Nag Hammadi, and various gnostic books, even
                    the crazy church fathers documents of how they believed in
                    gnosticism (pretty crazy too). If i were to really go deep into the
                    gnostic concept of Yahweh, i'd rather go with penndragon's view
                    instead of downright anti-yahwehism......

                    perhaps its all the other way around, just perhaps, that the
                    Abrahamic faith in God was the first, even before egyptian/sumerian
                    civilization arose with their views, maybe it doesnt seem that way
                    to those without much Jewish understanding, but there's a lot of
                    mysteries to be discovered..........tell me why is it that all those
                    surrounding cultures had similar stories to the Torah, but the Torah
                    is the only lasting holy book looked up to by so many??? something
                    to think about ;)

                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Penndragon" <Ginosko@H...>

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                      Sarutobi, some Wiccans claim that they practice the "Old Religion",
                      and that thier beliefs are pre-Christian. In fact, Wicca is a
                      completely modern invention (started by Gerald Gardner in 1954), and
                      almost nothing in thier beliefs are even closely resembles ancient
                      beliefs (there is a growing number of Wiccans out there who are fully
                      aware of this, and will tell you). The Freemasons also have a history
                      that some believe goes back into the distant past, with the Templars,
                      or with ancient masons in Egypt, etc., but in fact they started as a
                      medieval craft guild.

                      Christian history, as Christians give it too you is also full of
                      misinformation, as is the case with nearly ALL religions....
                      including Judism. Anyone can tell you that the events in the Torah
                      (and the rest of the Tanakh) happened just that way, but if they have
                      no evidence to back it up, it is irrelevent.

                      On the other hand, I have personally known a number of Jewish people,
                      just like some of those Wiccans I mentioned above, who freely admit
                      that the history in the Torah should not be taken at face value. Dont
                      misunderstand... this doesn't mean that it has NO value, just that
                      it's value is not on the literal level.

                      We do talk about a number of spiritual issues in here, and that is a
                      primary function of the club. The other primary interest of the club
                      is history, and when we say history we mean to say that an attempt
                      shuld be used to maintain scientific method... History, not wild
                      inductive leaps.

                      Valintinian Gnosticism does not see the Demiurge so negatively, and
                      it was primarily Christian. Sethian GNosticism places the Demiurge in
                      a particularly negative light, but this was Jewish people turning
                      over thier OWN view of "God". I still think, though, you are missing
                      the point. Yes, there are passages in Gnostic liturature that talk
                      about the Demiurge as a "fool" and even have him falling from his
                      position and being replaced by Sabaoth. There are passages that have
                      him preventing man from seeing his connection to what the Gnostics
                      saw as the True God.... but you need to understand the meaning of
                      this, both historically and metephorically, before you judge it.
                      Otherwise you are contextualizing it out of mistaken impressions,
                      which is exactly what you are doing by thinking it is anti-Jewish.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                        I am agreed with you Penn. This is what makes critical hermeneutics
                        so important.... and it is also what makes history part of our focus
                        (with the other one being the meaning). For one to understand what
                        Gnostic texts mean, we must know something about the people who wrote
                        them. This gives us valuable clues as to how they expressed
                        themselves, and what they meant to communicate. Of course,
                        understanding Gnosticism is not about getting stuck in dusty old
                        manuscripts, but we certainly want to understand what foundation
                        these old texts were trying to communicate.

                        PMCV

                      • Ginosko
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                          MM Sarutobi496

                          However, archeology gives us yet another picture which is at loggerheads
                          with accepted history. At the alledged time that the Hebrews were being
                          driven out of Egypt there are no signs of such a thing. However, there are
                          signs of a bitter internal civil war within Egypt.

                          Many of the Jewish Rabbion are now coming to terms with the idea that the OT
                          is allegorical and not literal which kinda negates the idea in some sense
                          that tradition makes it true. In fct when we examine many traditions we find
                          that there is a small grain of truth in it, and it oft aint what one
                          imagines it to be. Look carefully and you will find misinformation on ALL
                          sides. No one has a complete picture as of yet regardless of what they claim
                          so far.

                          Did you know for example that in the original Jewish myth, Yaweh had a
                          consort/wife. And that consort was none other than Asherah. And the basic
                          meaning of Asherah was to do with TRUTH ;) Also that the original Jewish
                          creation happened on four spheres or levels which the current four
                          itterations of creation are a part of in the bible today

                          MP
                          Penn

                          --
                          Now you are going to ask me how to destroy this stark
                          awareness of your self. You might be thinking that if you
                          destroy this sense of your self you will destroy
                          everythingelse too and you will be right. But I will answer
                          this fear by telling you that without a very special grace
                          from God and without a particular aptitude on your part,
                          you will never beable to get rid of this naked sense of
                          self. For your part, this aptitude consists of a robust and
                          profound sorrow of spirit.....Everybody has a special
                          reason for grief, but the person who has a deep experience
                          of himself existing apart from God feels the most acute
                          sorrow. Once we have aquired this sorrow it not only
                          purifies our souls, but it takes away all the pain merited
                          by sin and thus makes the soul capable of receivingthat joy
                          which takes from a man all sense of his own being. If this
                          sorrow is genuine, it is full of holy longing. Otherwise
                          nobody could bear it.

                          from The Cloud of Unknowing

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                            MM PMCVFLAG

                            There is also misconception within your post here. Yes, as a religion Wicca
                            is new, i.e. 1950's. However, examine the myths upon which it is built and
                            you will find they are based on the eussinian (?sp) myths which do indeed
                            predate Christianity. Many of the elements are again older having been
                            derived from the ancient goddess worship as found in Europe some 30,000
                            years ago.

                            Just a lil to ponder.

                            MP
                            Penn

                            --
                            O, Friend, Kabir has looked for him everywhere, but to no avail. For Kabir
                            and He are one, not two. When a drop is merged into the ocean how is it

                            Kabir

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                              of course i know about Asherah and the ancient Canaanite culture, i
                              was even a devoted priest at one time ;) (if u wanna call it
                              that)......But thats Canaanite culture, a paganized version of
                              Abrahamic Faith, that only leads me to believe Yahweh worship was
                              truelly ancient, even on different levels, As i studied the cultures
                              more, i found many other interesting things. Moses didnt know much
                              of Canaanite culture and religion, or Yahweh for that matter, plus
                              how could he have received such different messages from Yahweh in
                              Egypt so far away from any priests in Canaan? He wasnt even able to
                              be a prophet for he was weak and could do nothing, but Yahweh
                              changed all that! God encouraged him and raised him to be the
                              greatest prophet whoever lived according to Judaism, before the
                              encounter with God he wasnt much of anything, just a good-hearted
                              older man, but God knew better. Could it not be just a re-
                              affirmation of the old Hebrew faith? Canaanite pre-hebrew traditions
                              are true, but its questionable as to how it came about as well, it
                              has much more parrallels to Sumerian/Babylonian culture than it does
                              to Judaism. There is evidence of the Abrahamic faith apart from
                              Canaanite Paganism, and that they were two totally diff.
                              religions......

                              I'm not trying to prove anything, every writing script
                              supposedly "ancient" in this modern age is most probable to be a
                              perverted aspect of original writings, we all know that, or should
                              know, but the Jewish Tradition has a saying in response to this: "it
                              doesnt matter if our path is exactly as it once was or not, or what
                              others say is true or not, the main teachings are still there and
                              always will be, it only matters that we believe its true and follow
                              our path to God."

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                The problem is, Penndragon, that historians question whether that so
                                called "Goddess" religion even really existed "30,000" years ago.

                                To add to this, while Wicca may borrow mythological terms from
                                ancient sources, it doesn't mean that it has any genuine connection
                                to the religious practices that produced those mythologies initially.
                                I don't know what the "Eussinian" myths are, but I have heard people
                                state that Wicca is based on the Mysteries at Eleusis (Is that what
                                you meant?).

                                If I go make up a religion tomorrow, I could choose to populate it
                                with names I got from JRR Tolkien, or with names I got from Homer....
                                the notion that I incedentally decide to use the name from Homer
                                instead of Tolkien somehow gives my new religion a pre-Christian
                                lineage is simply not true.

                                This doesn't mean that Wicca has no value to it's followers. My only
                                point to Sarutobi (since the practice of Wicca is outside the focus
                                of this club) is that historical observation often disagrees with
                                traditional legends about the origins of religions beliefs. I
                                maintain that point still.

                                PMCV

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                    MM PMCV

                                    I understand where you're headed at least and agree ;)

                                    MP
                                    Penn

                                    --
                                    Every being has the Buddha Nature. This is the self.

                                    Buddhism. Mahaparinirvana Sutra 214

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                      yes we have lol....alright quick change of subject! without any of
                                      the expert gnostics in here describing to me, let me see if i
                                      understand the important concept of Gnosis. From what i've
                                      understood it means realizing the "spirit" inside of us, the divine
                                      light manifest from the Heavenly Creator that was given to us
                                      despite the Demiurge creating the material cosmos......it is not
                                      going by what the church fathers created putting faith above
                                      reason...

                                      What i'm not too sure of though is that of the Gnostic texts in
                                      general, were the authors actually inspired by God? and are the
                                      texts from jesus' saints? i hope they didnt just make it all up and
                                      say it was from personal gnosis, i've heard both sides to this story
                                      in some gnostic books......Gnosticism is a divinely revealed
                                      religion right? i do have the Nag Hammadi library with me so any
                                      texts i should read most importantly?

                                      > Sarutobi, now we have completely gone off the deep end. Are you
                                      > interested in Gnosticism?

                                      > of course i know about Asherah and the ancient Canaanite culture,
                                      > was even a devoted priest at one time ;) (if u wanna call it
                                      > that)......But thats Canaanite culture, a paganized version of
                                      > Abrahamic Faith, that only leads me to believe Yahweh worship was
                                      > truelly ancient, even on different levels, As i studied the
                                      cultures
                                      > more, i found many other interesting things. Moses didnt know much
                                      > of Canaanite culture and religion, or Yahweh for that matter, plus
                                      > how could he have received such different messages from Yahweh in
                                      > Egypt so far away from any priests in Canaan? He wasnt even able
                                      > be a prophet for he was weak and could do nothing, but Yahweh
                                      > changed all that! God encouraged him and raised him to be the
                                      > greatest prophet whoever lived according to Judaism, before the
                                      > encounter with God he wasnt much of anything, just a good-hearted
                                      > older man, but God knew better. Could it not be just a re-
                                      > affirmation of the old Hebrew faith? Canaanite pre-hebrew
                                      traditions
                                      > are true, but its questionable as to how it came about as well, it
                                      > has much more parrallels to Sumerian/Babylonian culture than it
                                      does
                                      > to Judaism. There is evidence of the Abrahamic faith apart from
                                      > Canaanite Paganism, and that they were two totally diff.
                                      > religions......
                                      >
                                      > I'm not trying to prove anything, every writing script
                                      > supposedly "ancient" in this modern age is most probable to be a
                                      > perverted aspect of original writings, we all know that, or should
                                      > know, but the Jewish Tradition has a saying in response to
                                      this: "it
                                      > doesnt matter if our path is exactly as it once was or not, or
                                      what
                                      > others say is true or not, the main teachings are still there and
                                      > always will be, it only matters that we believe its true and
                                      follow
                                      > our path to God."
                                    • Ginosko
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                        MM Sarutobi

                                        Basically I would agree with you, but their is an error in your post. The
                                        Nag Hammadi docs don't portay the Demiurgus as a Creator. Rather he is
                                        called blind when he awakens and seeing no one around proclaims himself
                                        creator, i.e. it's like someone saying IDIOT! when someone falsely proclaims
                                        something to them today.

                                        MP
                                        Penn

                                        --
                                        Man must be a lover of the light no matter from what day-spring it may
                                        appear. He must be a lover of the rose no matter in what soil it may be

                                        Abdu'l-Baha, Foundations of World Unity, p. 15 )

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                          Sarutobi....

                                          >>>without any of the expert gnostics in here describing to me, let
                                          me see if i understand the important concept of Gnosis. From what
                                          i've understood it means realizing the "spirit" inside of us, the
                                          divine light manifest from the Heavenly Creator that was given to us
                                          despite the Demiurge creating the material cosmos......it is not
                                          going by what the church fathers created putting faith above
                                          reason...<<<

                                          Well, sort of. You could say that it is also partly the specific
                                          context for the recognition of ones spirit as a splinter of that
                                          source. Perhaps what you offered is good enough for us to start
                                          working with though. Add to what you said though, the realization
                                          that it is not a "Heavenly Creator". That source of our spirit is not
                                          a "God" as it is commonly understood.

                                          >>>What i'm not too sure of though is that of the Gnostic texts in
                                          general, were the authors actually inspired by God?<<<<

                                          That is something you will have to figure out for yourself Sarutobi.
                                          However, I should state again, so there is no confusion, the Gnostic
                                          concept of "God" is very different from that which most people are
                                          used to. Therefore, if you mean "inspired by God" in the way most
                                          Christians use that term... it is a meaningless question to a Gnostic.

                                          >>>and are the texts from jesus' saints? i hope they didnt just make
                                          it all up and say it was from personal gnosis, i've heard both sides
                                          to this story in some gnostic books......Gnosticism is a divinely
                                          revealed religion right? i do have the Nag Hammadi library with me so
                                          any texts i should read most importantly?<<<

                                          It seems to me that you are still thinking of this in very literal
                                          terms, Sarutobi. I also get the impression that you are quite young.
                                          Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I am thinking perhaps there
                                          are some concepts concerning mythology that you are not familiar
                                          with. It is important to understand that to some extent Jesus and his
                                          saints are also made up. The point of mythology is not that it
                                          actually happened that way. Just like Jason did not REALLY find a
                                          golden fleece, Jesus did not REALLY walk out across the water. Does
                                          that mean the stories are lies? No, in fact the stories are true....
                                          just not in the way most people think.

                                          If you go reading your Nag Hammadi books, and you think that Adam was
                                          literally flopping around on the ground while the Demiurge tried to
                                          mold him... and that Sophia turned into a tree to excape the Archons,
                                          you will be missing the whole point of the story.