Re: jesus incarnation? Reply by Tip

  • Don Tipton
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
      Hi Gerry & All: (Don Tipton)

      I'm replying to your post as a new member, forgive me
      if I tell you who & what I am first to let you see the perspective
      of my reply.

      I am a 72 yr old coot that spent his lifetime as an American
      Military Intelligence Agent from 1948 - 1984. During this period
      I 'clandestinely' was assigned to be an agent of the law as a
      District Attorney Investigator for 15 yrs to survey if intelligence
      work and the law are/was compatible or could work together under our
      constitution. (I don't know what they decided) I have a credential
      to teach public school from the 1st grade to college level courses,
      am in very good health, married with one daughter who spent 7 yrs as
      a paratrooper in the 82nd airborne. (US Army)

      I've been to every continent during my military occupation years,
      and have written three books that are currently advertised on
      amazon.com & Barnes & Noble.com and a biography titled 'the Making
      of a Spy' published by Infinity at www.buybooksontheweb.com.
      I am an arch-consrvative in most ways but there are areas regarding
      social justice that I lean towards bettering the system by
      instituting needed reforms. My area of competence is about ancient
      history of the Middleast. Two of my books are about the people of
      the region.

      Now to my reply to your post:
      RE: Degradation of Judaism by the
      Gnostics:
      As a student of ancient middleast history I too revile
      Judaism as a 'partially false' religion. Moses, the greatest figure
      in Judaic lore did not ordain the Judaic Priesthood, he ordained the
      Priesthood of Aaron. This makes Judaism a false religion, and I can
      prove that by historic and Liturgical evidence, and Literary
      Criticism techniques. The Judaic Tribes were big trouble for Moses
      from the beginning of the Exodus period and they were part of the
      Egyptian Temple of Thebes Priesthood while they were in Egypt. (410
      yrs) (Inter-marriage produced half Egyptian/Judaic Priests that led
      a rebellion against Moses time after time in the Wilderness of Shur)

      Aaron was the only legitimate priest of the Hebrews. The Judaics
      re-wrote the history of their past in the Genesis book after they
      spent 70 yrs in Exile in Babylon, and weaved a bit of mesopotamian
      history and lore in at the same time to mitigagte Moses Laws.

      The Judaics blamed the priesthood of Aaron for the fall of Israel
      and led a Tannim Group to change Hebrewism to Judaism, which they
      sucessfully did, in 500 yrs. There ios much more, but time is
      limited.

      Best Regards,

      Don

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, sarutobi496 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > > well my path has been anything but eclectic lol, i've been a
      > > conservative Vishnu devotee (a hindu tradition of devotion) for
      > > long time, and now i feel compelled towards a different way of
      > life,
      > > i have moved on to various traditions but none as of yet has
      felt
      > > like the "right" one. but now i've come to Gnosticism, i've
      read
      > > much about it, i understand it pretty well, but its the truth
      i'm
      > > really seeking that will give me purpose to believe and
      > follow........
      > >
      > > One thing i've always disliked about Gnosticism is its
      degradation
      > of
      > > Judaism and the Jewish God......that is something i totally
      > disagree
      > > with, in the Gnostic gospels Yahweh is portrayed as the
      demiurge, a
      > > minor creator god of evil, i however have been involved with
      > Judaism
      > > and its a beautiful loving religion from a loving God who is
      > anything
      > > but evil.......
      > >
      > > I do however like everything else about Gnosticism, but the
      Jewish

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
        To respond to this post in a way that is relevent to the club, let me
        first point out that any "historical" analysis concerning Moses is
        speculative at best, at worst it runs the risk of falling into "Holy
        Blood Holy Grail" kind of sensationalism. Of course, the real
        question is how this pertains to Gnosticism.....

        Let me then include my response to Sarutobi

        Antisemitism is not a Gnostic principle. Many of the early Gnostics
        were Jews, and Gnosticism is, itself, a Jewish Hellenic syncratism.
        If Dr Pearson's historical speculations are correct, then the early
        Sethian movement can be placed firmly in the category of "Jewish
        sect".

        I would also point out to Sarutobi, that some modern forms of Judism
        have a notion of "Demiurge" as well. The Kabbalah does not see it's
        prime source, called "En Soph", as the same as it's physical world
        molder, called "Metatron".

        We really must be careful how we categorize Gnosticism in it's
        relation to Judism, there is a lot of misinformation out there.

        PMCV

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Don Tipton" <gizzard2003@y...>

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
          Sarutobi

          You state....

          "i've read much about it, i understand it pretty well, but its the
          truth i'm really seeking that will give me purpose to believe and
          follow"

          The question here becomes, not whether you have read enough about
          Gnosticism, but whether what you read has been accurate. If you are
          looking to "believe and follow" you have come to the wrong place.

          There are some very important reasons that the cosmology is the way
          it is in Gnosticism, and if you find it "difficult to accept" then
          the very notion of needing to simply believe it shows that perhaps
          you don't understand Gnosticism as well as you keep telling us you
          do. Not to offend you, just to point out that I think you are viewing
          Gnosticism in exactly the terms that the whole point of Gnosticism
          meant to over-ride.

          You say you have "looked up" for guidance, the point here is to look
          in a completely different direction for guidance. To start with
          though, it is important that you have a concept of the MEANING of the
          myths we are talking about. They are allegories, and I believe
          perhaps you have not understood thier point as well as you believe
          you have.

          This, of course, is a seperate topic.

          PMCV
        • walkinginclogs@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
            Do you think that the Jews were ever slaves in Egypt as Genesis says, or did
            they just make this up so that people would feel sorry for them? I had
            problems with the fact that it said that God had the Israelites kill out the
            residents of the Promised Land, in order to make room for them. It said his reason
            was that they worshipped false gods. But were they even given a chance to know
            who the true God was? Sounds much like what we did to the American Indians.
          • Penndragon
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
              MM Sarutobi496

              Gnosticism itself doesn't degrade the Jewish God. However many Gnostics have
              come to see him as the Demiurgus which in my eyes is a misinterpretation of
              the message. They've taken a passage which is about he blind following of
              the law as it were and interpreted it as an evil god. The Gnostic texts have
              YHWH protrayed not as an Evil Creator, rather as one who mistakenly thought
              he was the creator and got reprimanded (called blind) for pronouncing
              himself as such.

              MP
              Penn

              --
              The Universe is in each person in such a way that each person is in it; and
              so every person in the Universe is the Universe.

              Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa

            • Penndragon
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
                MM Don

                Actually it doesn't make for a false religion. Judaic in the sense of the
                Jewish people of which Arron was supposed to be. So in this sense the
                preisthood of Arron is still a judaic preisthood. However another point is
                that Moses and Arron as they appear in the bible seem to be purely
                allegorical characters, i.e. they never existed in real life.

                MP
                Penn

                --

              • Penndragon
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
                  MM PMCV

                  And then there's the ole how have I interpreted what I've read bit. Many
                  factors contribute to how we understand something. Oft times we interepret
                  in a way which we want to interpret rather than what was intended to be
                  said.

                  MP
                  Penn

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
                    MM my friend

                    No, I don't think they were ever slaves there. Unwanted immigrants maybe. My
                    understanding is that the entire bible is a set of allegories and not
                    literal history.

                    MP
                    Penn

                    --
                    The Universe is in each person in such a way that each person is in it; and
                    so every person in the Universe is the Universe.

                    Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa

                    > Do you think that the Jews were ever slaves in Egypt as Genesis says, or
                    did
                    > they just make this up so that people would feel sorry for them? I had
                    > problems with the fact that it said that God had the Israelites kill out
                    the
                    > residents of the Promised Land, in order to make room for them. It said
                    his reason
                    > was that they worshipped false gods. But were they even given a chance to
                    know
                    > who the true God was? Sounds much like what we did to the American
                    Indians.

                  • sarutobi496
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                      Judaism (alot of that misinformation comes from muslim sources ;)),
                      the Jewish people have always told me a "totally" opposite history
                      of their people, that everything in the Torah is exactly how it was
                      in Moses' time, and nothing can ever be changed or ever will be.

                      there seems to be alot of misinformation about Yahweh and the Jewish
                      Religion, and alot of Biblical verses are misunderstood by non-
                      conformists who reject Jewish tradition and havent lived it......its
                      actually the most beautiful religion i've ever come across without
                      the mystical aspect, i've never met more modest people either.

                      i've spent most of my life not believing these kind of people,
                      people though, people like the christians and muslims who are too
                      fake. However with Judaism its been a little different. From my
                      research its been very accurate and understanding, both the history
                      and its beliefs in a benevolent God. still i've always been on the
                      mystical paths/eastern paths, so thats why i'm attracted to
                      gnosticism. I've read Nag Hammadi, and various gnostic books, even
                      the crazy church fathers documents of how they believed in
                      gnosticism (pretty crazy too). If i were to really go deep into the
                      gnostic concept of Yahweh, i'd rather go with penndragon's view
                      instead of downright anti-yahwehism......

                      perhaps its all the other way around, just perhaps, that the
                      Abrahamic faith in God was the first, even before egyptian/sumerian
                      civilization arose with their views, maybe it doesnt seem that way
                      to those without much Jewish understanding, but there's a lot of
                      mysteries to be discovered..........tell me why is it that all those
                      surrounding cultures had similar stories to the Torah, but the Torah
                      is the only lasting holy book looked up to by so many??? something
                      to think about ;)

                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Penndragon" <Ginosko@H...>

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                        Sarutobi, some Wiccans claim that they practice the "Old Religion",
                        and that thier beliefs are pre-Christian. In fact, Wicca is a
                        completely modern invention (started by Gerald Gardner in 1954), and
                        almost nothing in thier beliefs are even closely resembles ancient
                        beliefs (there is a growing number of Wiccans out there who are fully
                        aware of this, and will tell you). The Freemasons also have a history
                        that some believe goes back into the distant past, with the Templars,
                        or with ancient masons in Egypt, etc., but in fact they started as a
                        medieval craft guild.

                        Christian history, as Christians give it too you is also full of
                        misinformation, as is the case with nearly ALL religions....
                        including Judism. Anyone can tell you that the events in the Torah
                        (and the rest of the Tanakh) happened just that way, but if they have
                        no evidence to back it up, it is irrelevent.

                        On the other hand, I have personally known a number of Jewish people,
                        just like some of those Wiccans I mentioned above, who freely admit
                        that the history in the Torah should not be taken at face value. Dont
                        misunderstand... this doesn't mean that it has NO value, just that
                        it's value is not on the literal level.

                        We do talk about a number of spiritual issues in here, and that is a
                        primary function of the club. The other primary interest of the club
                        is history, and when we say history we mean to say that an attempt
                        shuld be used to maintain scientific method... History, not wild
                        inductive leaps.

                        Valintinian Gnosticism does not see the Demiurge so negatively, and
                        it was primarily Christian. Sethian GNosticism places the Demiurge in
                        a particularly negative light, but this was Jewish people turning
                        over thier OWN view of "God". I still think, though, you are missing
                        the point. Yes, there are passages in Gnostic liturature that talk
                        about the Demiurge as a "fool" and even have him falling from his
                        position and being replaced by Sabaoth. There are passages that have
                        him preventing man from seeing his connection to what the Gnostics
                        saw as the True God.... but you need to understand the meaning of
                        this, both historically and metephorically, before you judge it.
                        Otherwise you are contextualizing it out of mistaken impressions,
                        which is exactly what you are doing by thinking it is anti-Jewish.

                        PMCV

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                          I am agreed with you Penn. This is what makes critical hermeneutics
                          so important.... and it is also what makes history part of our focus
                          (with the other one being the meaning). For one to understand what
                          Gnostic texts mean, we must know something about the people who wrote
                          them. This gives us valuable clues as to how they expressed
                          themselves, and what they meant to communicate. Of course,
                          understanding Gnosticism is not about getting stuck in dusty old
                          manuscripts, but we certainly want to understand what foundation
                          these old texts were trying to communicate.

                          PMCV

                        • Ginosko
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                            MM Sarutobi496

                            However, archeology gives us yet another picture which is at loggerheads
                            with accepted history. At the alledged time that the Hebrews were being
                            driven out of Egypt there are no signs of such a thing. However, there are
                            signs of a bitter internal civil war within Egypt.

                            Many of the Jewish Rabbion are now coming to terms with the idea that the OT
                            is allegorical and not literal which kinda negates the idea in some sense
                            that tradition makes it true. In fct when we examine many traditions we find
                            that there is a small grain of truth in it, and it oft aint what one
                            imagines it to be. Look carefully and you will find misinformation on ALL
                            sides. No one has a complete picture as of yet regardless of what they claim
                            so far.

                            Did you know for example that in the original Jewish myth, Yaweh had a
                            consort/wife. And that consort was none other than Asherah. And the basic
                            meaning of Asherah was to do with TRUTH ;) Also that the original Jewish
                            creation happened on four spheres or levels which the current four
                            itterations of creation are a part of in the bible today

                            MP
                            Penn

                            --
                            Now you are going to ask me how to destroy this stark
                            awareness of your self. You might be thinking that if you
                            destroy this sense of your self you will destroy
                            everythingelse too and you will be right. But I will answer
                            this fear by telling you that without a very special grace
                            from God and without a particular aptitude on your part,
                            you will never beable to get rid of this naked sense of
                            self. For your part, this aptitude consists of a robust and
                            profound sorrow of spirit.....Everybody has a special
                            reason for grief, but the person who has a deep experience
                            of himself existing apart from God feels the most acute
                            sorrow. Once we have aquired this sorrow it not only
                            purifies our souls, but it takes away all the pain merited
                            by sin and thus makes the soul capable of receivingthat joy
                            which takes from a man all sense of his own being. If this
                            sorrow is genuine, it is full of holy longing. Otherwise
                            nobody could bear it.

                            from The Cloud of Unknowing

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                              MM PMCVFLAG

                              There is also misconception within your post here. Yes, as a religion Wicca
                              is new, i.e. 1950's. However, examine the myths upon which it is built and
                              you will find they are based on the eussinian (?sp) myths which do indeed
                              predate Christianity. Many of the elements are again older having been
                              derived from the ancient goddess worship as found in Europe some 30,000
                              years ago.

                              Just a lil to ponder.

                              MP
                              Penn

                              --
                              O, Friend, Kabir has looked for him everywhere, but to no avail. For Kabir
                              and He are one, not two. When a drop is merged into the ocean how is it

                              Kabir

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                of course i know about Asherah and the ancient Canaanite culture, i
                                was even a devoted priest at one time ;) (if u wanna call it
                                that)......But thats Canaanite culture, a paganized version of
                                Abrahamic Faith, that only leads me to believe Yahweh worship was
                                truelly ancient, even on different levels, As i studied the cultures
                                more, i found many other interesting things. Moses didnt know much
                                of Canaanite culture and religion, or Yahweh for that matter, plus
                                how could he have received such different messages from Yahweh in
                                Egypt so far away from any priests in Canaan? He wasnt even able to
                                be a prophet for he was weak and could do nothing, but Yahweh
                                changed all that! God encouraged him and raised him to be the
                                greatest prophet whoever lived according to Judaism, before the
                                encounter with God he wasnt much of anything, just a good-hearted
                                older man, but God knew better. Could it not be just a re-
                                affirmation of the old Hebrew faith? Canaanite pre-hebrew traditions
                                are true, but its questionable as to how it came about as well, it
                                has much more parrallels to Sumerian/Babylonian culture than it does
                                to Judaism. There is evidence of the Abrahamic faith apart from
                                Canaanite Paganism, and that they were two totally diff.
                                religions......

                                I'm not trying to prove anything, every writing script
                                supposedly "ancient" in this modern age is most probable to be a
                                perverted aspect of original writings, we all know that, or should
                                know, but the Jewish Tradition has a saying in response to this: "it
                                doesnt matter if our path is exactly as it once was or not, or what
                                others say is true or not, the main teachings are still there and
                                always will be, it only matters that we believe its true and follow
                                our path to God."

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                  The problem is, Penndragon, that historians question whether that so
                                  called "Goddess" religion even really existed "30,000" years ago.

                                  To add to this, while Wicca may borrow mythological terms from
                                  ancient sources, it doesn't mean that it has any genuine connection
                                  to the religious practices that produced those mythologies initially.
                                  I don't know what the "Eussinian" myths are, but I have heard people
                                  state that Wicca is based on the Mysteries at Eleusis (Is that what
                                  you meant?).

                                  If I go make up a religion tomorrow, I could choose to populate it
                                  with names I got from JRR Tolkien, or with names I got from Homer....
                                  the notion that I incedentally decide to use the name from Homer
                                  instead of Tolkien somehow gives my new religion a pre-Christian
                                  lineage is simply not true.

                                  This doesn't mean that Wicca has no value to it's followers. My only
                                  point to Sarutobi (since the practice of Wicca is outside the focus
                                  of this club) is that historical observation often disagrees with
                                  traditional legends about the origins of religions beliefs. I
                                  maintain that point still.

                                  PMCV

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                      MM PMCV

                                      I understand where you're headed at least and agree ;)

                                      MP
                                      Penn

                                      --
                                      Every being has the Buddha Nature. This is the self.

                                      Buddhism. Mahaparinirvana Sutra 214

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                        yes we have lol....alright quick change of subject! without any of
                                        the expert gnostics in here describing to me, let me see if i
                                        understand the important concept of Gnosis. From what i've
                                        understood it means realizing the "spirit" inside of us, the divine
                                        light manifest from the Heavenly Creator that was given to us
                                        despite the Demiurge creating the material cosmos......it is not
                                        going by what the church fathers created putting faith above
                                        reason...

                                        What i'm not too sure of though is that of the Gnostic texts in
                                        general, were the authors actually inspired by God? and are the
                                        texts from jesus' saints? i hope they didnt just make it all up and
                                        say it was from personal gnosis, i've heard both sides to this story
                                        in some gnostic books......Gnosticism is a divinely revealed
                                        religion right? i do have the Nag Hammadi library with me so any
                                        texts i should read most importantly?

                                        > Sarutobi, now we have completely gone off the deep end. Are you
                                        > interested in Gnosticism?

                                        > of course i know about Asherah and the ancient Canaanite culture,
                                        > was even a devoted priest at one time ;) (if u wanna call it
                                        > that)......But thats Canaanite culture, a paganized version of
                                        > Abrahamic Faith, that only leads me to believe Yahweh worship was
                                        > truelly ancient, even on different levels, As i studied the
                                        cultures
                                        > more, i found many other interesting things. Moses didnt know much
                                        > of Canaanite culture and religion, or Yahweh for that matter, plus
                                        > how could he have received such different messages from Yahweh in
                                        > Egypt so far away from any priests in Canaan? He wasnt even able
                                        > be a prophet for he was weak and could do nothing, but Yahweh
                                        > changed all that! God encouraged him and raised him to be the
                                        > greatest prophet whoever lived according to Judaism, before the
                                        > encounter with God he wasnt much of anything, just a good-hearted
                                        > older man, but God knew better. Could it not be just a re-
                                        > affirmation of the old Hebrew faith? Canaanite pre-hebrew
                                        traditions
                                        > are true, but its questionable as to how it came about as well, it
                                        > has much more parrallels to Sumerian/Babylonian culture than it
                                        does
                                        > to Judaism. There is evidence of the Abrahamic faith apart from
                                        > Canaanite Paganism, and that they were two totally diff.
                                        > religions......
                                        >
                                        > I'm not trying to prove anything, every writing script
                                        > supposedly "ancient" in this modern age is most probable to be a
                                        > perverted aspect of original writings, we all know that, or should
                                        > know, but the Jewish Tradition has a saying in response to
                                        this: "it
                                        > doesnt matter if our path is exactly as it once was or not, or
                                        what
                                        > others say is true or not, the main teachings are still there and
                                        > always will be, it only matters that we believe its true and
                                        follow
                                        > our path to God."
                                      • Ginosko
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                          MM Sarutobi

                                          Basically I would agree with you, but their is an error in your post. The
                                          Nag Hammadi docs don't portay the Demiurgus as a Creator. Rather he is
                                          called blind when he awakens and seeing no one around proclaims himself
                                          creator, i.e. it's like someone saying IDIOT! when someone falsely proclaims
                                          something to them today.

                                          MP
                                          Penn

                                          --
                                          Man must be a lover of the light no matter from what day-spring it may
                                          appear. He must be a lover of the rose no matter in what soil it may be

                                          Abdu'l-Baha, Foundations of World Unity, p. 15 )

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                                            Sarutobi....

                                            >>>without any of the expert gnostics in here describing to me, let
                                            me see if i understand the important concept of Gnosis. From what
                                            i've understood it means realizing the "spirit" inside of us, the
                                            divine light manifest from the Heavenly Creator that was given to us
                                            despite the Demiurge creating the material cosmos......it is not
                                            going by what the church fathers created putting faith above
                                            reason...<<<

                                            Well, sort of. You could say that it is also partly the specific
                                            context for the recognition of ones spirit as a splinter of that
                                            source. Perhaps what you offered is good enough for us to start
                                            working with though. Add to what you said though, the realization
                                            that it is not a "Heavenly Creator". That source of our spirit is not
                                            a "God" as it is commonly understood.

                                            >>>What i'm not too sure of though is that of the Gnostic texts in
                                            general, were the authors actually inspired by God?<<<<

                                            That is something you will have to figure out for yourself Sarutobi.
                                            However, I should state again, so there is no confusion, the Gnostic
                                            concept of "God" is very different from that which most people are
                                            used to. Therefore, if you mean "inspired by God" in the way most
                                            Christians use that term... it is a meaningless question to a Gnostic.

                                            >>>and are the texts from jesus' saints? i hope they didnt just make
                                            it all up and say it was from personal gnosis, i've heard both sides
                                            to this story in some gnostic books......Gnosticism is a divinely
                                            revealed religion right? i do have the Nag Hammadi library with me so
                                            any texts i should read most importantly?<<<

                                            It seems to me that you are still thinking of this in very literal
                                            terms, Sarutobi. I also get the impression that you are quite young.
                                            Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I am thinking perhaps there
                                            are some concepts concerning mythology that you are not familiar
                                            with. It is important to understand that to some extent Jesus and his
                                            saints are also made up. The point of mythology is not that it
                                            actually happened that way. Just like Jason did not REALLY find a
                                            golden fleece, Jesus did not REALLY walk out across the water. Does
                                            that mean the stories are lies? No, in fact the stories are true....
                                            just not in the way most people think.

                                            If you go reading your Nag Hammadi books, and you think that Adam was
                                            literally flopping around on the ground while the Demiurge tried to
                                            mold him... and that Sophia turned into a tree to excape the Archons,
                                            you will be missing the whole point of the story.