Re: Mary Magdalene

  • George Harvey
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
      > Hello walkinginclogs@a...
      >
      > On 14-Aug-03, you wrote:
      >
      > > In a message dated 8/14/2003 7:49:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > > ac998@l... writes:
      > >

      > >> THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. Never saw it, but I read the book
      by
      > >> Nicos Kazanzakis, he translated if from Greek into English
      himself,
      > >> or at least proofed it, so it is pretty true to the original. In
      > >> the book, Jesus is a cross-maker, no less.
      > >>

      > > I was wondering, I never saw anything in the bible or the Gnostic
      > > books saying that he was ever a carpenter, yet I keep seeing
      > > preachers claiming that he was. Also, did the book say anything
      > > about his life from age 12 to 32?
      >
      > It has been too many years for me to be sure, but I think not. It
      has
      > been even longer since I read the New Testament from cover to cover,
      > so I don't know if there is anything in there about his being a
      > carpenter, or if it is an early church story that has become
      > ingrained.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

      Hi,
      Doesn't it say that his father was a carpenter?

      George
    • walkinginclogs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
        In a message dated 8/15/2003 7:03:31 AM Central Daylight Time, georgeatnsn@... writes:

        Hi,
        Doesn't it say that his father was a carpenter?

        George

        It does, and the right-wing evangelists assume that since Joseph was, he had to have taken his father's trade also, since he had nothing better to do up until age 32.
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
          Hello pessolo@...

          On 15-Aug-03, you wrote:

          > walkinginclogs@... writes:
          >> anything about his life from age 12 to 32?
          >
          > there's no such thing as a Jesus of less than 30 years.
          > Thus Marcion correctly wrote that Jesus descended at the
          > symbolic pseudo-age of 30 from heavens to Capharnaum,
          > which is hell, and not, like the churchmongers want to fool you
          > to believe, a certain city in Galilee.
          >
          > Klaus Schilling

          That is the extreme Docetic position, but I suspect there may be
          something to it. It certainly would explain a few things. It is of
          note that John omits the birth narrative, BTW.

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
            Hello walkinginclogs@...

            On 15-Aug-03, you wrote:

            > In a message dated 8/15/2003 7:03:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
            > georgeatnsn@... writes:
            >

            >> Hi,
            >> Doesn't it say that his father was a carpenter?
            >>
            >> George
            >
            > It does, and the right-wing evangelists assume that since Joseph
            > was, he had to have taken his father's trade also, since he had
            > nothing better to do up until age 32.
            >
            > _The following attachments have been removed manually:_
            > (1828 bytes, text/html)

            Maybe he was a fisherman, many of his disciples were, or a money
            changer like Matthew? :-)

          • John Presco
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 23, 2003
              Poor Joseph, the greatest under-achiever, or failure, of all time.
              Can you see him at the family gathering of those who had genealogies
              that survived the captivity showing they are kin to the royal house
              of Judah.

              "And, what do you do for a living, Joseph?"

              Joseph Flavius tells of those who had Davidic blood being examined by
              Titus, their hands very soft because they did no work, he assigning
              them to hard labour.

              "And, what does your son do?"

              "I'm not sure. Some say he is the king of the Jews, and others, God.
              I can make one heck of a dove joint. Stop by the shop and I'll knock
              a chair together for ya."

              Jon