Re: Mary Magdalene

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 14, 2003
      Hello walkinginclogs@...

      On 14-Aug-03, you wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/14/2003 7:49:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > ac998@... writes:
      >

      >> THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. Never saw it, but I read the book by
      >> Nicos Kazanzakis, he translated if from Greek into English himself,
      >> or at least proofed it, so it is pretty true to the original. In
      >> the book, Jesus is a cross-maker, no less.
      >>

      > I was wondering, I never saw anything in the bible or the Gnostic
      > books saying that he was ever a carpenter, yet I keep seeing
      > preachers claiming that he was. Also, did the book say anything
      > about his life from age 12 to 32?

      It has been too many years for me to be sure, but I think not. It has
      been even longer since I read the New Testament from cover to cover,
      so I don't know if there is anything in there about his being a
      carpenter, or if it is an early church story that has become
      ingrained.

    • pessolo@freemail.it
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
        Mike Leavitt writes:
        > Hello walkinginclogs@...
        >
        > On 13-Aug-03, you wrote:
        >
        > > In a message dated 8/13/2003 7:57:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
        > > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
        > >

        > >> http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030811-472868-
        > >> 1,00.html
        > >
        > > I always wanted to see that movie, "The Temptations of Christ". I'm
        > > missing a word in the title. Three, or whatever. Our local video
        > > rental place is owned by hard-shelled Baptists, and he refused to
        > > stock it. Suppose she married Jesus, and they played house until he
        > > was 32? I wouldn't hold that against either of them.

        It has to be hold against them,
        because marriage and procreation are the work of evil demons.
        Thus it was Satornil who figured that it's the work of Satanael,
        and Marcion banned happily married people from
        full participation in the mystery celebrations,
        knowing correctly that marriage is a sort of prostitution.
        Julius Cassianus correctly wrote that death will rule among mankind
        as long as women continue to bear kids.

        > THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. Never saw it, but I read the book by
        > Nicos Kazanzakis,

        Kazantzakis has nothing at all to do with gnostic topics.

        Klaus Schilling
      • pessolo@freemail.it
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
          walkinginclogs@... writes:
          > anything about his life from age 12 to 32?

          there's no such thing as a Jesus of less than 30 years.
          Thus Marcion correctly wrote that Jesus descended at the
          symbolic pseudo-age of 30 from heavens to Capharnaum,
          which is hell, and not, like the churchmongers want to fool you
          to believe, a certain city in Galilee.

          Klaus Schilling
        • pessolo@freemail.it
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
            Mike Leavitt writes:
            > being a carpenter

            it's a carpenter (tekton) for building the true doctrine,
            as opposed to the idolatrous temple of Zion,
            and for constructing the cross on which to crucify the cosmos of the archons.

            Klaus Schilling
          • George Harvey
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
              > Hello walkinginclogs@a...
              >
              > On 14-Aug-03, you wrote:
              >
              > > In a message dated 8/14/2003 7:49:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
              > > ac998@l... writes:
              > >

              > >> THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. Never saw it, but I read the book
              by
              > >> Nicos Kazanzakis, he translated if from Greek into English
              himself,
              > >> or at least proofed it, so it is pretty true to the original. In
              > >> the book, Jesus is a cross-maker, no less.
              > >>

              > > I was wondering, I never saw anything in the bible or the Gnostic
              > > books saying that he was ever a carpenter, yet I keep seeing
              > > preachers claiming that he was. Also, did the book say anything
              > > about his life from age 12 to 32?
              >
              > It has been too many years for me to be sure, but I think not. It
              has
              > been even longer since I read the New Testament from cover to cover,
              > so I don't know if there is anything in there about his being a
              > carpenter, or if it is an early church story that has become
              > ingrained.
              >
              > Regards
              > --
              > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

              Hi,
              Doesn't it say that his father was a carpenter?

              George
            • walkinginclogs@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
                In a message dated 8/15/2003 7:03:31 AM Central Daylight Time, georgeatnsn@... writes:

                Hi,
                Doesn't it say that his father was a carpenter?

                George

                It does, and the right-wing evangelists assume that since Joseph was, he had to have taken his father's trade also, since he had nothing better to do up until age 32.
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
                  Hello pessolo@...

                  On 15-Aug-03, you wrote:

                  > walkinginclogs@... writes:
                  >> anything about his life from age 12 to 32?
                  >
                  > there's no such thing as a Jesus of less than 30 years.
                  > Thus Marcion correctly wrote that Jesus descended at the
                  > symbolic pseudo-age of 30 from heavens to Capharnaum,
                  > which is hell, and not, like the churchmongers want to fool you
                  > to believe, a certain city in Galilee.
                  >
                  > Klaus Schilling

                  That is the extreme Docetic position, but I suspect there may be
                  something to it. It certainly would explain a few things. It is of
                  note that John omits the birth narrative, BTW.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 15, 2003
                    Hello walkinginclogs@...

                    On 15-Aug-03, you wrote:

                    > In a message dated 8/15/2003 7:03:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    > georgeatnsn@... writes:
                    >

                    >> Hi,
                    >> Doesn't it say that his father was a carpenter?
                    >>
                    >> George
                    >
                    > It does, and the right-wing evangelists assume that since Joseph
                    > was, he had to have taken his father's trade also, since he had
                    > nothing better to do up until age 32.
                    >
                    > _The following attachments have been removed manually:_
                    > (1828 bytes, text/html)

                    Maybe he was a fisherman, many of his disciples were, or a money
                    changer like Matthew? :-)

                  • John Presco
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 23, 2003
                      Poor Joseph, the greatest under-achiever, or failure, of all time.
                      Can you see him at the family gathering of those who had genealogies
                      that survived the captivity showing they are kin to the royal house
                      of Judah.

                      "And, what do you do for a living, Joseph?"

                      Joseph Flavius tells of those who had Davidic blood being examined by
                      Titus, their hands very soft because they did no work, he assigning
                      them to hard labour.

                      "And, what does your son do?"

                      "I'm not sure. Some say he is the king of the Jews, and others, God.
                      I can make one heck of a dove joint. Stop by the shop and I'll knock
                      a chair together for ya."

                      Jon