Re: dogmas in Gnosticism?

    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 5 1:12 PM
      I understand you did, who ELSE did? Back up your assurtion with some
      kind of historical example, demonstrate the validity of your point...
      otherwise it is worthless. YOu can SAY whatever you want, it doesn't
      make it true. I am not saying you must be wrong, but you must make
      your case.

      The word "Dogma" simply literally means "opinion". Are you saying
      that Gnostics had no official opinion about things like... cosmology,
      anthropogeny etc.?

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "martin12617" <martin12617@y...>
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 5 1:28 PM
        Hello martin12617

        On 05-Jul-03, you wrote:

        > Steve, I agree, allowing marriage won't solve anything. Actually, if
        > we assume that quite a number of the priests are anyway homosexual
        > or pedophiliac ( or who knows what), we would contribute to divorces
        > and broken families. Martin

        Not those problems, but it could bring litterally hundreds of married
        ex-priests back into the ministry, and give them a larger pool of
        candidates to recruit priests from. The shortage of priests is the
        main reason these pedofiles were protected. With a larger number of
        priests, this would be less likely to happen, so even there it could
        help the church to cleanse its ranks. Frankly I almost hope they
        don't change, and you wind up with one mass a week, given by one
        priest or bishop on national TV in each country. :-)

        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 5 1:48 PM
          The DSM for crime categorization recognizes two forms of
          pedephilia; "preferential" and "opportunistic". Sexual opportunity
          with a consenting adult will not prevent abuse amongst preferential
          pedophilia, but will prevent it in the opportunistic category (which
          may be the case for most priests).

          I would also point out that almost ZERO pedephiles are homosexual in
          spite of the fact that many victims are boys. Preferential pedephiles
          usually have a love hate/fear desire for the opposite sex which they
          foist on someone non-threatening (children). They often feel they
          have a genuine relatinship that is consenting, and vew the child as
          feminine even if the child is a boy.

          Many times the opportunistic pedophile is the most anti-sex, and
          comes to thier action via thier inability to reconcile thier disire
          to stifle the needs that they can't control. Klaus' preoccupation
          with sex is a perfect example (which is not to say he is a pedephile,
          or to attack him, but simply demonstrate that negative attitudes
          often fosters a preoccupation. Notice how nearly ALL of Klaus' posts
          are about sex)

        • walkinginclogs@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 5 2:02 PM
            They could program a robot to perform the mass.
          • martin12617
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 5 2:23 PM
              PMCv I can't believe what you wrote about Klaus. We don't know
              anything about his sexual preferrences. There is a good reason to be
              preoccupied with something. Being anti-sex may be the only way to
              attain Gnosis and to become whole, because anything else is another
              luring into a new game, a showing of the wrong path. I respect his
              decision. Martin
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 5 2:56 PM
                Read my post again Martin... I very specifically state that I am NOT
                making any assumptions about his sexual practices. What I AM
                observing is that nearly every post he has typed has been about sex,
                which means preoccupation. This is a classic example of the
                difference between repression and sublimation.

                There is also a reason that Paul talks about celebacy as a "gift" for
                a few, and not for everyone. Any kind of social interactin could be
                seen as something that devides the attention, and this is one of the
                main reasons that Paul gives against marriage... that it divides the
                attantion. However, this does NOT in any way imply that a person with
                a divided attention cannot gain that philosophical perspective known
                as "Gnosis".

                It is also worth noting that some Gnostics were accused of exactly
                the opposite perspective, which is that romantic and sexual
                relationships were even valuable in the attainment of Gnosis. We
                could of course debate whether these Gnostics were wrong or right,
                but our opinions on that subject are entirely subjective once again.
                There are also scholors who have argued that this more sexually open
                form of Gnosticism is the oldest form (Dr Smith, for one instance).
                And, Dr Wilson convincingly that the sexually negative stance
                attributed to some Gnostics is false.

                My point with all this is that we are on shakey ground with this
                subject both from the historical side as well as the psychological
                side. To make a single unalterable point of dogma out of it is a
                questionable thing to do.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 5 2:57 PM
                  I like your idea Walkingclogs *lol*

                  PMCV

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 5 3:27 PM
                    Let me state all of this a different way, just so there is no
                    confusion. Pre-occupation with anything can prevent critical
                    perspective on the subject. There is really no difference in having a
                    preoccupation with having sex than there is in having a preoccupation
                    against sex.... it is still a division of ones attention away from
                    that critical thought process equated with the Logos.

                    If celebacy doesn't come relatively easily for a person, then it
                    isn't that spiritual gift of non-attatchment

                  • Martin Khoury
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 5 3:40 PM
                      There are no dogmas in gnosticism:

                      Dogmas are typical however for orthodox beliefs. A dogma is a belief, rather than knowledge. A dogma is a written law for all to obey. Gnostics never had this imperative. Making dogmas requires a political body. Gnostics are free from this neurosis.
                      All in all, dogma and gnosticism cancel each other out: if there is dogma, there is no Gnosticism; where there is Gnosticism no dogma can be fined. Both terms are actually antagonistic. If one day a gnostic (fundamental principle,  makes the claim to be for all, all inclusive and only truthful, it becomes dogmatic, while it ceases to be Gnostic. I am really against Dogmas, they tell you what to do, how to judge, they are the real evil when one pursues the gnostic path. Let's be careful about any dogmas. Martin

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • Martin Khoury
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 5 3:41 PM
                        Klaus Schilling, from your own experience: what role does sexuality play within the Gnostic framework for you? Martin

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 5 7:19 PM
                          Orthodoxy and Gnosticism are not as opposed and seperate as modern
                          New Agers like to romanticize (many gnostic sects were actually
                          segments of the church that was to one day become Catholocism, and by
                          some sources Valintinus was almost a Pope. Also, several traditional
                          Gnostic texts proclaim thier own "orthodoxy"). On the
                          contrary, "orthodoxy' was simply an assumption on the parts of most
                          sects in opposition to other sects.

                          When you (and Klaus) post that you are correct and some one else
                          (such as the Theosophists) are wrong, you are proclaiming your
                          own "orthodoxy" AND dogma.

                          I would also point out at this time that to be absolutely techinical,
                          Martin, you are not a practitioner of "Gnosticism", but instead a
                          Neognostic. We could talk about why that is, if you have any
                          interest, as well as why your personal beliefs are really not very
                          close to those of the historical Gnostics.

                          PMCV

                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Martin Khoury <martin12617@y...>

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 5 7:48 PM
                            > Hello martin12617
                            >
                            > On 05-Jul-03, you wrote:
                            >

                            > > Steve, I agree, allowing marriage won't solve anything. Actually,
                            if
                            > > we assume that quite a number of the priests are anyway homosexual
                            > > or pedophiliac ( or who knows what), we would contribute to
                            divorces
                            > > and broken families. Martin
                            >
                            > Not those problems, but it could bring litterally hundreds of
                            married
                            > ex-priests back into the ministry, and give them a larger pool of
                            > candidates to recruit priests from. The shortage of priests is the
                            > main reason these pedofiles were protected. With a larger number of
                            > priests, this would be less likely to happen, so even there it could
                            > help the church to cleanse its ranks. Frankly I almost hope they
                            > don't change, and you wind up with one mass a week, given by one
                            > priest or bishop on national TV in each country. :-)
                            >
                            > Regards
                            > --
                            > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                            Mike, I don't know if you or others had ever heard of this, but I
                            recall an old NPR segment in which they discussed celibacy in the RC
                            Church.

                            Apparently, sometime after WWII and throughout the Cold War, the
                            proscription against marriage for priests was overlooked in parts of
                            Eastern Europe. Basically, the Church had been run "underground,"
                            but a man having to remain celibate might have called attention to
                            himself by Big Brother, so exceptions were made to preserve the
                            faith. Supposedly, John Paul II was very familiar with this (and
                            perhaps had been instrumental in the policy's implementation), being
                            from the region himself.

                            Again, my memory is a bit foggy on the subject, and I never looked it
                            up elsewhere to corroborate what I heard, but it's curious (if true)
                            that the Church could respond to one crisis in such a way, while in
                            other situations, they staunchly toe the line.

                            Gerry
                          • Martin Khoury
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 5 8:04 PM
                              Pmcvflag, very gladly. Neognostic I don;t know exactly as to make of it.
                              I am looking forward to your email. Martin

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 5 9:42 PM
                                Hello Gerry

                                On 05-Jul-03, you wrote:

                                > Mike, I don't know if you or others had ever heard of this, but I
                                > recall an old NPR segment in which they discussed celibacy in the RC
                                > Church.
                                >
                                > Apparently, sometime after WWII and throughout the Cold War, the
                                > proscription against marriage for priests was overlooked in parts of
                                > Eastern Europe. Basically, the Church had been run "underground,"
                                > but a man having to remain celibate might have called attention to
                                > himself by Big Brother, so exceptions were made to preserve the
                                > faith. Supposedly, John Paul II was very familiar with this (and
                                > perhaps had been instrumental in the policy's implementation), being
                                > from the region himself.
                                >
                                > Again, my memory is a bit foggy on the subject, and I never looked
                                > it up elsewhere to corroborate what I heard, but it's curious (if
                                > true) that the Church could respond to one crisis in such a way,
                                > while in other situations, they staunchly toe the line.

                                I haven't heard of this, but who knows. In Poland, the Marivite
                                Catholic (independent) church has married and women clergy. In this
                                country about all they allow is for married clergy from among the
                                protestants, to remain married as Priests.

                                You should be aware that most Eastern Rite Uniate churches have
                                married clergy. This does not allow Priests to marry, but allows the
                                ordination of married men, as in the Eastern Orthodox Church. These
                                Uniate Churches are watched very closely in the US, but in Canada, I
                                know of several American priests who married, who were admitted as
                                priests in them.

                                Only the Anglicans, among the Orthodox churches actually allow Priests
                                to marry, and they are the only ones of the lot with married Bishops.

                                A widower can be consecrated as a Bishop in Eastern Churches, but not
                                a currently married Priest. These concessions to Eastern Rite Uniate
                                churches were made in the 19th century or earlier, BTW, and so remain
                                in place. They are based on Eastern Orthodox cannon.

                                For what is is worth, an early cannon of the church, was that no man
                                could be consecrated a Bishop without his wife's permission.
                                Clerical celibacy strictly enforced, starts about with Gregory the
                                Great, and his clerical reforms. Prior to that, marriage was open to
                                the clergy, at least unofficially, and if you go back far enough,
                                officially. Clerical celibacy is most certainly not apostolic in
                                origin.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 6 3:50 AM
                                  > Hello Gerry
                                  >
                                  > On 05-Jul-03, you wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Mike, I don't know if you or others had ever heard of this, but I
                                  > > recall an old NPR segment in which they discussed celibacy in the
                                  RC
                                  > > Church.
                                  > >
                                  > > Apparently, sometime after WWII and throughout the Cold War, the
                                  > > proscription against marriage for priests was overlooked in parts
                                  of
                                  > > Eastern Europe. Basically, the Church had been run "underground,"
                                  > > but a man having to remain celibate might have called attention to
                                  > > himself by Big Brother, so exceptions were made to preserve the
                                  > > faith. Supposedly, John Paul II was very familiar with this (and
                                  > > perhaps had been instrumental in the policy's implementation),
                                  being
                                  > > from the region himself.
                                  > >
                                  > > Again, my memory is a bit foggy on the subject, and I never looked
                                  > > it up elsewhere to corroborate what I heard, but it's curious (if
                                  > > true) that the Church could respond to one crisis in such a way,
                                  > > while in other situations, they staunchly toe the line.
                                  >
                                  > I haven't heard of this, but who knows. In Poland, the Marivite
                                  > Catholic (independent) church has married and women clergy. In this
                                  > country about all they allow is for married clergy from among the
                                  > protestants, to remain married as Priests.
                                  >
                                  > You should be aware that most Eastern Rite Uniate churches have
                                  > married clergy. This does not allow Priests to marry, but allows
                                  the
                                  > ordination of married men, as in the Eastern Orthodox Church. These
                                  > Uniate Churches are watched very closely in the US, but in Canada, I
                                  > know of several American priests who married, who were admitted as
                                  > priests in them.
                                  >
                                  > Only the Anglicans, among the Orthodox churches actually allow
                                  Priests
                                  > to marry, and they are the only ones of the lot with married
                                  Bishops.

                                  > A widower can be consecrated as a Bishop in Eastern Churches, but
                                  not
                                  > a currently married Priest. These concessions to Eastern Rite
                                  Uniate
                                  > churches were made in the 19th century or earlier, BTW, and so
                                  remain
                                  > in place. They are based on Eastern Orthodox cannon.
                                  >
                                  > For what is is worth, an early cannon of the church, was that no man
                                  > could be consecrated a Bishop without his wife's permission.
                                  > Clerical celibacy strictly enforced, starts about with Gregory the
                                  > Great, and his clerical reforms. Prior to that, marriage was open
                                  > the clergy, at least unofficially, and if you go back far enough,
                                  > officially. Clerical celibacy is most certainly not apostolic in
                                  > origin.
                                  >
                                  > Regards
                                  > --
                                  > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                                  Very interesting, Mike. Perhaps I'll find time to explore the
                                  Marivites one day and see if they were the subject of the program I
                                  listened to (and if their independence was the result of this
                                  problem). I remember that the whole concern came about because once
                                  the allowance had been made, and then the Communist oppression was no
                                  longer a threat, the question arose of what does a Church do with its
                                  married clergy? They wouldn't want other priests wondering why they
                                  couldn't get in on the marital action, but the Vatican couldn't
                                  exactly ask those who were already wedded to divorce, either.

                                  It all reminds me of Papal Infallibility. Wasn't that also a fairly
                                  recent (in terms of centuries) adoption? And yet, many take it as if
                                  it all started with Peter and Paul.

                                  BTW, anyone interested in a movie-version of some of the recently
                                  discussed topics may enjoy _Priest_. It's a fantastic film dealing
                                  with two clerics' struggles . . . one with his homosexuality and the
                                  other with his inability to remain celibate (though he is faithfully
                                  monogamous). The questions they ask one another as they get to
                                  discussing their problems reveals the difficulites in following the
                                  commandment to "love one another" when WE have placed all sorts of
                                  conditions on that unconditional love. It makes one wonder why they
                                  don't chuck it all and just find a nice Gnostic Church!

                                  While we may eventually find a robot that could perform mass, the
                                  final scene in that flick really captures the human dichotomy, in all
                                  its glorious beauty and lamentable ugliness, in a way that no machine
                                  could ever do.

                                  Gerry
                                • incognito_lightbringer
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 6 5:56 AM
                                    Klaus, I can understand your claims on procreation but not on
                                    marriage. Marriage as a religious ritual is supposed to unite
                                    opposites and symbolize the reunification of the separated masculine
                                    Adam/feminine Eve (who are mythologically separated by the demiurge),
                                    or a symbol of the union of the Father and the Mother. The two become
                                    one and are somehow spiritually stronger for it. This may be more a
                                    case of the practice of marriage being evil if it's priority is
                                    geared towards "this world" but sacred if approached on a spiritual
                                    level. Thus itself, it's dualistic. This may also be a valid argument
                                    pro-procreation. Not to trap souls in this world but that those who
                                    enter it attempt some kind of fix, like a Kabbalistic raising of the
                                    sparks, or the Buddhist prayer that the enlightened remain in the
                                    world to help those who are struggling to escape it. Just my 2c.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 6 1:17 PM
                                      Hello Gerry

                                      On 06-Jul-03, you wrote:

                                      > It all reminds me of Papal Infallibility. Wasn't that also a fairly
                                      > recent (in terms of centuries) adoption? And yet, many take it as if
                                      > it all started with Peter and Paul.

                                      A little more church history, sorry for the OT. It was Vatican One,
                                      in the 19th century that adopted Papal Infallibility, so it is very
                                      recent. In fact it spawned the growth of the Old Catholic movement,
                                      already several hundred years old, outside of Holland, in opposition.
                                      This movement is the source for a lot of Gnostic Churches' Apostolic
                                      Successions, BTW, either directly or indirectly (back on topic?).
                                      The Old Catholic Church at Utrect in Holland split much earlier over
                                      different issues, but supported the 19th century Old Catholic
                                      movement, as they too opposed Papal Infallibility. It simply did not
                                      exist prior to Vatican I, and is not a part of pre Vatican I Roman
                                      Catholic theology.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 6 4:22 PM
                                        Well, Martin, the reason for the term "Neognostic" is multifold. For
                                        one, no one alive today is techinically practicing "Gnosticism"
                                        because the word "Gnosticism" was invented by scholors to refer to a
                                        number of specific sects which are now dead. These sects were
                                        initiatory, which means that no one alive today can fully reinvent
                                        them. Your connection with "Gnosticism" then is a modern
                                        reinvention... as it is with any of us here who call
                                        ourselves "Gnostics". Granted, some of us have an affinity that more
                                        closey represents what these genuine historical Gnostics practiced
                                        than other, and some of us here who call ourselves "Gnostics" have
                                        almost nothing in common with anything that is
                                        technically "Gnosticism". At any rate, this is why you are
                                        a "Neognostic".

                                        wrote:
                                        > Pmcvflag, very gladly. Neognostic I don;t know exactly as to make
                                        of it.
                                        > I am looking forward to your email. Martin
                                        >
                                        > pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                        > Orthodoxy and Gnosticism are not as opposed and seperate as modern
                                        > New Agers like to romanticize (many gnostic sects were actually
                                        > segments of the church that was to one day become Catholocism, and
                                        by
                                        > some sources Valintinus was almost a Pope. Also, several
                                        traditional
                                        > Gnostic texts proclaim thier own "orthodoxy"). On the
                                        > contrary, "orthodoxy' was simply an assumption on the parts of most
                                        > sects in opposition to other sects.
                                        >
                                        > When you (and Klaus) post that you are correct and some one else
                                        > (such as the Theosophists) are wrong, you are proclaiming your
                                        > own "orthodoxy" AND dogma.
                                        >
                                        > I would also point out at this time that to be absolutely
                                        techinical,
                                        > Martin, you are not a practitioner of "Gnosticism", but instead a
                                        > Neognostic. We could talk about why that is, if you have any
                                        > interest, as well as why your personal beliefs are really not very
                                        > close to those of the historical Gnostics.
                                        >
                                        > PMCV
                                        >
                                        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Martin Khoury
                                        <martin12617@y...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > > There are no dogmas in gnosticism:
                                        > >
                                        > > Dogmas are typical however for orthodox beliefs. A dogma is a
                                        > belief, rather than knowledge. A dogma is a written law for all to
                                        > obey. Gnostics never had this imperative. Making dogmas requires a
                                        > political body. Gnostics are free from this neurosis.
                                        > > All in all, dogma and gnosticism cancel each other out: if there
                                        is
                                        > dogma, there is no Gnosticism; where there is Gnosticism no dogma
                                        can
                                        > be fined. Both terms are actually antagonistic. If one day a
                                        gnostic
                                        > (fundamental principle, makes the claim to be for all, all
                                        inclusive
                                        > and only truthful, it becomes dogmatic, while it ceases to be
                                        > Gnostic. I am really against Dogmas, they tell you what to do, how
                                        > judge, they are the real evil when one pursues the gnostic path.
                                        > Let's be careful about any dogmas. Martin

                                        Service.