Reincarnation

  • martin12617
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
      Hello everybody,

      I wanted to ask, whether someone of you had a reincarnation exerience
      of some sort. I remember a dream I had as a child that I dreamt a
      dream of someone else and I felt an overlap of mine and someone elses
      presence and existence. I have to say that this someone is me. Today
      I know that either that was reincarnation or it was merely a
      psychological phenomenon I have no clear explanation for yet.
      Martin
    • Judi Schneider
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
        This was an experience that happened with my daughter:  At the time she was barely four years old.  She was playing with her doll house when our cat, Shadow, came along and scooped all her furniture out so he could lay down in it.  I said to her, "Isn't that funny?!  When I was your age, I had a cat named Smokie who used to do the same thing with my doll house."  For a moment, that I can't really explain, her eyes became completely grown up and her whole persona changed as she looked at me and said very seriously, "Oh yes, I remember,  that's when I was YOUR mother."

        As quickly as the change had happened, it dissipated and she went back to being a four year old little girl.  But I will never forget that experience.

        Peace,
        Judi

        martin12617 <martin12617@...> wrote:
        Hello everybody,

        I wanted to ask, whether someone of you had a reincarnation exerience
        of some sort. I remember a dream I had as a child that I dreamt a
        dream of someone else and I felt an overlap of mine and someone elses
        presence and existence. I have to say that this someone is me. Today
        I know that either that was reincarnation or it was merely a
        psychological phenomenon I have no clear explanation for yet.
        Martin

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/BYrrlB/TM

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Martin Khoury
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
          Judi, thank you for sharing that with me!  You know that some people would think we are nuts.

          I myself think I am now living the life of this I would call him perpetrator, who captured my body and soul(psyche) and revealed himself to me in that dream. Maybe it's still all explainable as a psychological phenomenon. But I begin to think, to this extent I am lucky, that I am aware of the reincarnation. Most people aren;t I would say. In the dream, I was 5 or so, I felt odd, I felt betrayed, because in that dream I realized what I am dreaming there, this is not my usual. And it was like a destiny laid out in front of me. It was a declaration of a life lived already. And it was like this this is what you will do. A mental rape, that is what reincarnation can be. My experience. I don;'t know why it exists, and what my task is. But I will have to reconcile me and the soul that reincarnated into my body with God. I am praying for me and him. Since most people aren';t aware of the reincarnation, it happens also without any precaution , not very fair.
          It was not necessarily a wonderful gnostic vision, just the plain truth. I guess, I am not special. Otherwise, I had a regular life, plenty of misfortunes and suffering, but also great works and blessings, because Sophia helped me where she could since my arrival here was so messed up.  But I am glad that I was revealed the course of things. Who knows? But it's all true I am writing.

          Yesterday, I had a funny revelation: As I was pondering and reciting in my mind the most fundamental principles of gnosticism, two things happened. I understood that since the Ego is the psychological counter[part of the demiurge, it is blind and creating its own world, a world of mistakes, unreality...any salvation when it is supposed to come won't reach us as long as we are in the Ego-state. It came to me as more of a "gnostic" experience I have to say, not exactly as an intellectual conclusion at all. But simultaneously, I adopted this understanding and asked where am I then. And the answer came you are not even here (where I was standing), you are there, someplace else. And I felt that only this part of me, never the Ego, could be reconciled with God. Then, I felt that I was already reconciled with God. And everything was perfect. Shortly after that while being in this state of understanding that a part of me unknown not the ego, I suppressed it, was already "accepted" by a higher being. I felt very happy. Then I was lifted up, mentally, and I was afraid, so the feeling left me. I walked home.
          Peace, Martin
          PS  This experience was also something I won;t forget. What stroke me most was that I understood that beyond the curtain of the ego comes salvation,. But then I felt at peace and it was an affirmation that I have done good work. Maybe it's an illusion? But I felt happy, because it was a special kind of welcome. The feeling went on to become something different and I felt very light and I have to admit as I walked I was scared because it was mentally lifting me up. So I grounded it. Then it disappeared.

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Gloria Powell-Frederickson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
            That's really neat... I have three daughters (ages 8, 4, and 2), and according to a few stories my 4yo has told me, SHE was MY mother in a past life also... that is SO cool... I read somewhere that oftentimes family members reincarnate with you as family members or close friends again in the future (or past)....
            Also, I had a past life dramatization in hypnosis once.... I was trying to figure out the reason for my neck and shoulder pain....... In the past life I was a male Native American with a wife and very new baby.... I went out one day upon a horse and was captured and stabbed by Englishmen in the neck....
            I wish I knew ALL of my reincarnations! That would be awesome... I am curious as to how many Native American incarnations I might have because I do know that I have a very close Spirit Guide called Chief Yellowknife.... but that is all I know about him. (And I have always had a very keene interest in and tearful heart for their past mistreatments)... and in this life I am not Native American.... Well, I am some beautiful mix of Dutch, Irish, Scottish, Polish, and Cherokee Indian (grandmother).... I am not altogether sure how accurate this even is, but for fun I still try to figure out what I got of which heritage all the time....
            Oops sorry.got a little off topic there!
            Blessings,
            Gloria

[...]

            Your use ! of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Do you Yahoo!?

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
              Hello Martin

              On 01-Jul-03, you wrote:

> [...]
              > reconciled with God. And everything was perfect. Shortly after that
              > while being in this state of understanding that a part of me unknown
              > not the ego, I suppressed it, was already "accepted" by a
              > higher being. I felt very happy. Then I was lifted up, mentally,
              > and I was afraid, so the feeling left me. I walked home. Peace,
              > Martin
              > PS This experience was also something I won;t forget. What stroke me
              > most was that I understood that beyond the curtain of the ego comes
              > salvation,. But then I felt at peace and it was an affirmation that
              > I have done good work. Maybe it's an illusion? But I felt happy,
              > because it was a special kind of welcome. The feeling went on to
              > become something different and I felt very light and I have to admit
              > as I walked I was scared because it was mentally lifting me up. So I

              One version of reincarnation in the Qabalah is that you have only
              three lives to make it. If you get to the third one you are
              overshadowed by a greater soul to help you. I don't personally
              subscribe to this, but it sounds hauntingly like your experience as a
              child. At least you have a proper perception of the ego. That will
              get you a long way.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
                Hello Gloria

                On 01-Jul-03, you wrote:

                >That's really neat... I have three daughters (ages 8, 4, and 2), and
                >according to a few stories my 4yo has told me, SHE was MY mother in
                >a past life also... that is SO cool... I read somewhere that
                >oftentimes family members reincarnate with you as family members or
                >close friends again in the future (or past).... Also, I had a past
                >life dramatization in hypnosis once.... I was trying to figure out
                >the reason for my neck and shoulder pain....... In the past life I
                >was a male Native American with a wife and very new baby.... I went
                >out one day upon a horse and was captured and stabbed by Englishmen
                >in the neck.

                It is said that the reason we do not remember past lives usually is
                because we would live in the past, and it would hinder current
                development. When one does remember, it is usually for a reason,
                something we have to learn again from it.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
                  Hello Martin

                  "Yesterday, I had a funny revelation: As I was pondering and reciting
                  in my mind the most fundamental principles of gnosticism"

                  In fact, it would be very much to the point of the club if you told
                  us exactly what you viewed the "fundemental principles of gnosticism"
                  to be. Past life experience is certainly an interesting enough
                  subject, but for the most part one that is outside of traditional
                  Gnostic belief systems. While this does not mean that it is without
                  value to your personal modern form of Gnosticism, part of the purpose
                  of this club is to relate or contrast or modern ideas with that of
                  traditional Gnosticism.

                  PMCV
                • Martin Khoury
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
                    pmcvflag,

                    I think one of us is in the wrong club. But as to your comment. The fundamental principles of Gnostic teaching I regard, the creation myth and its parallel or counterpart in the psyche. After all, external events become external events through us.
                    We will be reached thru the psyche. So I dwelt on this for a while, right?
                    So and then the events took course. I hope this sufficies for you.
                    I think you limit the purpose of the "club" by stating that we will (who is we?),
                    review and evaluate modern with traditional teachings. I think Gnosis, Gnosticism is a very broad subject with certainly common elements. Don;t limit it, don't limit yourself.
                    So once again, sorry about the imprecision, fundamental principles of Gnosticism I view the creative narrative in form of the myth, Sophia descending from above in search of the light and the psychological parallel of this mythologem. There are certainly other myths, they then too are part of the fundamental principles. The reincarnation you are right I admit not a universally followed doctrine or concept within the traditional Gnostic traditions. To me it is very real until I find another explanation. I am referring to my dream. Have a nice day! Martin
                    Hello Martin

                  • pessy@chez.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
                      pmcvflag writes:

                      > In fact, it would be very much to the point of the club if you told
                      > us exactly what you viewed the "fundemental principles of gnosticism"
                      > to be.

                      Docetism, Dualism, Pessimism, Misocosmism, and Misonomianism.

                      Klaus Schilling
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 3, 2003
                        >>>I think one of us is in the wrong club.<<<<

                        Well, you may be right, Martin, in saying that one of us is in the
                        wrong club. However, since I am one of the founders here, and one of
                        the people who chose exactly what the topic of this club is intended
                        to be.... that wrong person would have to be you.

                        >>>I think you limit the purpose of the "club"<<<

                        You are absolutely right Martin, I do limit the purpose of this club.
                        The club has a specific purpose which the co-founders and myself have
                        created, and we are not going to change that purpose to the
                        discussion of Nascar, or Scooby Doo.... I am sure there are already
                        clubs for that.

                        >>>I think Gnosis, Gnosticism is a very broad subject with certainly
                        common elements.<<<<

                        Well, your definition is fine for you. However, for this clubs
                        purpose the term "Gnosticism" refers only to the word as it was
                        coined by the scholors who have been instrumental in it's creation.
                        Just as we are no here to talk about Nascar, we are not here to talk
                        about alternative layperson definitions of what "Gnosticism" is....
                        there are already other clubs for that as well.

                        Think of this club as a seminar format university class. There are
                        the professors who teach the class, there are visiting professors who
                        contribute a great deal, and there are the students who are allowed
                        to interact as long as the class stays on topic. This club is like
                        that university study format. The club has a stated purpose, it has
                        acceptable an inacceptable subject matter (and behavior), and anyone
                        who is here is here as a guest based on their interest in the subject
                        at hand, and thier presence is at the discression of the person who
                        is running the class.

                        So, you may now be asking "well, what is the subject then?". The
                        subject is specifically to deal with traditional (historical) forms
                        of that academic invention called "Gnosticism" as well as how they
                        effect our modern selves.

                        You do raise a point that is on topic....

                        >>>The reincarnation you are right I admit not a universally followed
                        doctrine or concept within the traditional Gnostic traditions.<<<<

                        To some extent we have come across this topic a few times. There are
                        mentions of transmigration in Gnostic (and realated) sources, we have
                        debated the possibility of metempsychosis as well. There are no
                        mentions that I can think of where "reincarnation" is talked about in
                        Gnostic sources though (maybe I have forgotton one somewhere). So,
                        not only is it not a "universally followed doctrine", I question
                        question if it is a doctrin that any Gnostic group believed in.

                        However, this does not mean that a modern person is not justified in
                        thier personal belief. But, there is something more. An interesting
                        subject could be whether reincarnation can be reconciled with the
                        notions of spirit seen in various Gnostic sects. For instance, the
                        belief we see in some texts that spirit is something put on, like a
                        vest, as opposed to an innate quality in every human. To take that
                        idea to it's conclusion would make reincarnation a very difficult
                        juxteposition (since those without the spirit would simply die, and
                        those with the spirit would have laready found "Gnosis" and thus
                        achieved release from the world) Aother example would be the
                        Manichaean belief that spirit holds no memory, and that it is
                        recycled. This would make the "past life" experience impossible.

                        Anyways, I am not forwarding any specific theory myself, merely
                        pointing out how reincarnation certainly cannot work with all forms
                        of "biblical demiurgy" movements. Surely there were some that may
                        have believed in it though.