Re: Beans, Manna from Heaven

    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
      Hello Barbara

      On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
      >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such
      > as mana,
      >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
      > chance does
      >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
      > might be
      >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
      > they aired some
      >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
      > Exodus was a
      >> fairy tale, and never happened.
      >

      > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I know
      > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened, though
      > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is thought
      > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
      > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
      > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
      > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
      >
      > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
      > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
      >
      > Greetings,
      > Barbara

      Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
        > Hello Barbara
        >
        > On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:
        >
        > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
        > >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance
        such
        > > as mana,
        > >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
        > > chance does
        > >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered,
        there
        > > might be
        > >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
        > > they aired some
        > >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
        > > Exodus was a
        > >> fairy tale, and never happened.
        > >

        > > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
        know
        > > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
        though
        > > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
        thought
        > > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
        > > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
        > > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
        > > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
        > >
        > > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
        > > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
        > >
        > > Greetings,
        > > Barbara
        >
        > Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
        >
        > Regards
        > --
        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

        Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
        Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
        the page):

        http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 9, 2003
          Hello lady_caritas

          On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

          >> Hello Barbara

          > such
          >>> as mana,
          >>> chance does
          > there
          >>> might be
          >>> they aired some
          >>> Exodus was a
          >>>

          >>> I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
          > know
          >>> that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
          > though
          >>> the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
          > thought
          >> > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would
          >> > excrete some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the
          >> > night. Until morning, the substance had dried to a solid form,
          >> > like dry snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
          >> >
          >> > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
          >> > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
          >> >
          >> > Greetings,
          >> > Barbara
          >>
          >> Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
          >>
          >> Regards
          >> --
          >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
          >

          > Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
          > Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
          > the page):
          >
          > http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html
          >

          > Cari

          And it confirms the bug dung too. :-)