Re: Beans, Manna from Heaven

    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
      Hello Steve

      On 07-Jun-03, you wrote:

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
      >> Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to
      > make their
      >> fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm just
      > posing that
      >> possibility for further consideration.
      >
      > I really don't think that any ancient author ever intended to write
      > history in the modern sense of the word. It was either myth-with-a-
      > meaning or propaganda for their group. Unfortunately, many people
      > today don't realize that much of what passes for history today also
      > falls into those two catagories. Yours, Steve

      Ah, better yet, propaganda posing as history.

    • walkinginclogs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
        So true. Revelation forcast various wars which then took place soon after.
        Everything that it predicted, has already taken place. And yes, I can't
        possibly see how those fundamentalists could possibly believe that the fall of
        Babalyon is yet to come. If they believe that, they should go over there and look
        at the ruins. They say those things because it sells their religion. Join
        our church. We will SAVE you. Send us all your money, the world is about to
        end. One time I asked one of them why give it to you if the world is about to
        end. You can't use it either.

        Then too, I think that they might have written Revelation after it already
        happened. I remember Jean Dixon when she was still alive, never predicted the
        Gulf War. But she did predict that they would excavate Babylon, which was
        true. The only thing was that they had already started digging before she made
        the prediction!!
      • walkinginclogs@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
          I heard about some guy who sent out 5,000 letters to investers, predicting
          that a certain stock would go up. Then he sent another 5,000 letters to other
          people, predicting that that same stock would go down.

          The stock went up, so he dropped the 5,000 people from his mailing list whom
          he had predicted incorrectly. Then he sent another prediction out to those
          remaining. To 2,500 he predicted a certain other stock to go up. To the other
          half he predicted it would go down. The stock went down, so he dropped the
          2,500 whom he had predicted incorrectly. Those remaining are starting to
          anxiously await his next prediction, because to the, he has been right twice in a
          row.

          He keeps doing this until he narrows his list down to 50 people, then he
          sells these 50 some worthless stock in a mining company. Even the apostles
          believed that Christ's second coming was soon. The people who have been let down
          are now dead, and another generation of suckers are born.
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
            > So true. Revelation forcast various wars which then took place
            soon after.
            > Everything that it predicted, has already taken place. And yes, I
            can't
            > possibly see how those fundamentalists could possibly believe that
            the fall of
            > Babalyon is yet to come. If they believe that, they should go
            over there and look
            > at the ruins. They say those things because it sells their
            religion. Join
            > our church. We will SAVE you. Send us all your money, the world
            is about to
            > end. One time I asked one of them why give it to you if the world
            is about to
            > end. You can't use it either.
            >
            > Then too, I think that they might have written Revelation after it
            already
            > happened. I remember Jean Dixon when she was still alive, never
            predicted the
            > Gulf War. But she did predict that they would excavate Babylon,
            which was
            > true. The only thing was that they had already started digging
            before she made
            > the prediction!!

            This may sound surprising, but I think that much of the vision of
            John the Elder in the book of Revelation was written after the fact
            and referred to phenomena associated with the eruption of Vesuvius
            in 79 A.D. Dio Cassius described the volcanic eruption using
            language highly similar to John's description of the seal judgements
            and trumpet judgements. Dio Cassius spoke of mountains being thrown
            into the sea, hills leaping about during the terrible earthquakes
            that accompanied the eruption. He spoke of the streams and bodies of
            water being poisoned for many miles around by the volcanic ash,
            killing large numbers of fish, fowl and wildlife. He said that the
            dark clouds extended as far as Rome, Egypt and Syria, blotting out
            the sun and plunging the land in darkness like night. He also said
            that the eruption was accompanied by one of the worst outbreaks of
            plague that the ancient world had ever seen [probably from the
            poisonous ash] causing terrible sores to break out on the skin.
            Amazingly, he even said that the eruption produced a loud noise like
            a trumpet being blown! I suspect that early christians saw the
            eruption of Vessuvius as being a sign of the End-Time, and that is
            why John incorporated it into his "vision". I believe that the four
            horsemen of the Apocalypse referred to the destruction of Jerusalem
            in 70 A.D. The first rider who "rode forth to conquer" and
            was "given a crown" was, in my opinion Titus who rode forth against
            and conquered Jerusalem and was crowned emperor after Vespassion.
            the other four horsemen refer to the war, the famine accompanying it
            and the prisoners being thrown to the wild beasts in the arena in
            rome after the war. Of course, John wrote about all this after the
            fact, but injected it into his vision for the edification of his
            followers. Just my opinion. Yours, Steve
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
              > I heard about some guy who sent out 5,000 letters to investers,
              predicting
              > that a certain stock would go up. Then he sent another 5,000
              letters to other
              > people, predicting that that same stock would go down.
              >
              > The stock went up, so he dropped the 5,000 people from his mailing
              list whom
              > he had predicted incorrectly. Then he sent another prediction out
              to those
              > remaining. To 2,500 he predicted a certain other stock to go up.
              To the other
              > half he predicted it would go down. The stock went down, so he
              dropped the
              > 2,500 whom he had predicted incorrectly. Those remaining are
              starting to
              > anxiously await his next prediction, because to the, he has been
              right twice in a
              > row.
              >
              > He keeps doing this until he narrows his list down to 50 people,
              then he
              > sells these 50 some worthless stock in a mining company. Even
              the apostles
              > believed that Christ's second coming was soon. The people who
              have been let down
              > are now dead, and another generation of suckers are born.

              Very true. It's amazing how easily people buy into it. The book of
              Revelation continually says that the End is coming soon. At the end
              of the book it even has the Angel tell John not to seal up the
              scroll of prophesy because it would be happening so soon. This in
              contrast to the book of Daniel where the prophesy is sealed up
              because it was going to take a long time to be fulfilled. Of course,
              John's vision was written down in the 1st century and "soon" can
              hardly mean 2000 years in the future! But fundamentalists continue
              to try to apply it to our time. There's a sucker born every minute!
              Yours, Steve
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <eugnostos2000@y...>
                wrote:

                > Very true. It's amazing how easily people buy into it. The book of
                > Revelation continually says that the End is coming soon. At the end
                > of the book it even has the Angel tell John not to seal up the
                > scroll of prophesy because it would be happening so soon. This in
                > contrast to the book of Daniel where the prophesy is sealed up
                > because it was going to take a long time to be fulfilled. Of
                course,
                > John's vision was written down in the 1st century and "soon" can
                > hardly mean 2000 years in the future! But fundamentalists continue
                > to try to apply it to our time. There's a sucker born every minute!
                > Yours, Steve

                Say, Steve, have you ever tried reading Revelations while listening
                to the Beatles? Just kidding, but it does make a point that you can
                find extremists of all sorts who can come up with bizarre
                interpretations.

                As for apocalyptic groups that seem to continually rationalize
                pushing back the date for their "end of times," it seems odd that if
                the meaning of the seals had been correctly prophesied in the first
                place that their god should have such a tough time keeping an
                appointment. You'd think after being stood-up the first time by the
                Horsemen, they'd reassess their interpretation, but such a mindset
                doesn't much allow for that kind of thinking.

                Still, I suppose it's better if such a group kept those thoughts to
                themselves rather than interpret any hitches in God's alleged plan as
                an open invitation for them to go Helter-Skelter on the rest of the
                world.

                Gerry
              • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                  I think so. Dreams are merely a hodge-podge of experiences we had, usually
                  that day. The Seventh Day Adventists base a lot of their doctrine on an Ellen
                  White who said she had a vision. In this vision she said that she was told
                  not to eat meat. The Adventists then concluded that God said that you must not
                  eat meat.

                  Others said that after she died they found books in her home written by some
                  doctor which advocated a vegetarian diet. So I think that she was merely
                  dreaming about what she read in those books. But ardent followers would like to
                  believe that God told her all those things. When I was a teenager I used to
                  think that dreams had some kind of significance because Freud said so. But all
                  the literature that I have come across written by the psychiatric world seem to
                  agree that dreams are merely our subconscious hashing over our experiences of
                  the past day.
                • pessy@chez.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                    walkinginclogs@... writes:
                    > But all the literature that I have come across
                    > written by the psychiatric world

                    those authors are materialistic ignorants and kakogogues,
                    one can't trust them in any sense.

                    Klaus Schilling
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pessy@c... wrote:
                      > walkinginclogs@a... writes:
                      > > But all the literature that I have come across
                      > > written by the psychiatric world
                      >
                      > those authors are materialistic ignorants and kakogogues,
                      > one can't trust them in any sense.
                      >
                      > Klaus Schilling

                      Well, to say that "dreams are merely our subconscious hashing over
                      our experiences of the past day" does seems to be a rather
                      constricted view of this phenomenon.

                      Cwbyspike, if you're able to get hold of a copy of this back issue of
                      _Gnosis_, Winter, 1992, you'll find a variety of articles devoted to
                      the subject of dreams:

                      http://www.lumen.org/issue_contents/contents22.html

                      Yes, this issue is over a decade old, but the articles still have
                      relevance IMO.

                      Editor Richard Smoley introduces this issue with an article
                      entitled, "Are Dreams for Real?"

                      From the article:
                      "One of the main objections to the reality of the dream world is the
                      belief, stated or unstated, that somehow the mind is the brain, that
                      our dreams (as well as our waking thoughts and emotions) are just
                      byproducts of neural events. The latest theory along these lines
                      comes from Harvard psychiatrist Allan Hobson. Dreaming, he says, is
                      caused by the brain's random emission of electrochemical
                      signals. `The dreaming brain automatically generates a barrage of
                      symbols that we do our best to assemble into a coherent
                      story….Dreaming is not triggered by daily events that resurrect
                      buried memories but is a process as automatic as breathing.' Dreams,
                      then, would be some sort of nervous discharge, our synapses firing
                      out their tensions each night like crazed hicks shooting at road
                      signs.

                      "Personally I don't have the sort of expertise that could confirm or
                      refute Hobson's view. Yet (at least as presented in the popular
                      press) it appears to come down to the same form of materialistic
                      reductionism that has been weighed and found wanting so many times
                      before. As philosopher Thomas Nagel has pointed out in a brief but
                      influential essay entitled `What Is It Like to Be a Bat?', our
                      neurological knowledge (even if it's right) tells us little or
                      nothing about what it is to be an experiencing subject. Nagel uses
                      the example of bats, who, being proverbially blind, don't see as we
                      see, but perceive by bouncing a form of sonar off objects. Even
                      though we know a fair amount about the mechanism of sonar, none of
                      this, Nagel argues, tells us what it's like _subjectively_ to be a
                      bat; we just don't have any sense that's close enough to sonar to
                      help us conceive of that experience. Similarly, theories like
                      Hobson's may tell us what's happening at the physiological level, but
                      they don't enlighten us much about what it is to be a dreaming
                      subject.

                      "This is an important point for two reasons. In the first place, the
                      materialistic view doesn't account for all the information: if I
                      dream, part of the data is my experience as a subject. Neurology can
                      tell me about myself as a functioning physical object, but it can't
                      tell me much about my subjective experience (much less anyone
                      else's); reductionistic theories thus don't account for all the
                      data. In the second place, they don't tell us what all this complex
                      cognitive apparatus is _for_. Even if Hobson is right and dreaming
                      is a cleansing of various neural mechanisms, why are these mechanisms
                      functioning to begin with? It's like saying the purpose of an
                      automobile is to have the oil changed.

                      "As a way to dealing with these problems, we could say that on the
                      one hand there is a perspective that views things as objects, from
                      the exterior, as a scientist observes someone in a sleep lab. There
                      is also a perspective that sees things subjectively, from within, as
                      the dreamer himself would experience the same situation. This second
                      perspective would be the realm known variously as the `dream world,'
                      the `astral world,' the `Dreaming' (to Australian aborigines), or
                      Yetzirah (to kabbalists). It interpenetrates with the physical world—
                      just as a dream is both a physiological event and a subjective
                      experience—but is not identical to it."

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                        Hello lady_caritas

                        On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

> [...]
                        > cognitive apparatus is _for_. Even if Hobson is right and dreaming
                        > is a cleansing of various neural mechanisms, why are these
                        > mechanisms functioning to begin with? It's like saying the purpose
                        > of an automobile is to have the oil changed.
                        >
                        > "As a way to dealing with these problems, we could say that on the
                        > one hand there is a perspective that views things as objects, from
                        > the exterior, as a scientist observes someone in a sleep lab. There
                        > is also a perspective that sees things subjectively, from within, as
                        > the dreamer himself would experience the same situation. This second
                        > perspective would be the realm known variously as the `dream world,'
                        > the `astral world,' the `Dreaming' (to Australian aborigines), or
                        > Yetzirah (to kabbalists). It interpenetrates with the physical world
                        > just as a dream is both a physiological event and a subjective

                        Well as some sort of Shaman put it, there are big dreams, and little
                        ones. Most of us don't have the big ones often, but then even the
                        little ones can have meaning.

                      • Barbara Jebenstreit
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                          > Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such
                          as mana,
                          > there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                          chance does
                          > anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
                          might be
                          > such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                          they aired some
                          > program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                          Exodus was a
                          > fairy tale, and never happened.

                          I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I know
                          that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened, though
                          the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is thought
                          to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                          some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                          morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry snowflakes
                          which the Isrealites then collected.

                          Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                          welcome and the reading suggestions. :)

                          Greetings,
                          Barbara
                        • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                            Thank you for the manna info. Very interesting.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                              Hello Barbara

                              On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

                              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                              >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such
                              > as mana,
                              >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                              > chance does
                              >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
                              > might be
                              >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                              > they aired some
                              >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                              > Exodus was a
                              >> fairy tale, and never happened.
                              >

                              > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I know
                              > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened, though
                              > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is thought
                              > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                              > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                              > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
                              > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                              >
                              > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                              > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                              >
                              > Greetings,
                              > Barbara

                              Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                > Hello Barbara
                                >
                                > On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:
                                >
                                > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                                > >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance
                                such
                                > > as mana,
                                > >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                                > > chance does
                                > >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered,
                                there
                                > > might be
                                > >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                                > > they aired some
                                > >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                                > > Exodus was a
                                > >> fairy tale, and never happened.
                                > >

                                > > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
                                know
                                > > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
                                though
                                > > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
                                thought
                                > > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                                > > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                                > > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
                                > > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                > >
                                > > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                > > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                > >
                                > > Greetings,
                                > > Barbara
                                >
                                > Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
                                >
                                > Regards
                                > --
                                > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                                Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
                                Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
                                the page):

                                http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 9, 2003
                                  Hello lady_caritas

                                  On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

                                  >> Hello Barbara

                                  > such
                                  >>> as mana,
                                  >>> chance does
                                  > there
                                  >>> might be
                                  >>> they aired some
                                  >>> Exodus was a
                                  >>>

                                  >>> I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
                                  > know
                                  >>> that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
                                  > though
                                  >>> the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
                                  > thought
                                  >> > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would
                                  >> > excrete some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the
                                  >> > night. Until morning, the substance had dried to a solid form,
                                  >> > like dry snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                  >> >
                                  >> > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                  >> > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                  >> >
                                  >> > Greetings,
                                  >> > Barbara
                                  >>
                                  >> Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
                                  >>
                                  >> Regards
                                  >> --
                                  >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                                  >

                                  > Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
                                  > Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
                                  > the page):
                                  >
                                  > http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html
                                  >

                                  > Cari

                                  And it confirms the bug dung too. :-)