Re: Beans, Manna from Heaven

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
      > Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to
      make their
      > fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm just
      posing that
      > possibility for further consideration.

      I really don't think that any ancient author ever intended to write
      history in the modern sense of the word. It was either myth-with-a-
      meaning or propaganda for their group. Unfortunately, many people
      today don't realize that much of what passes for history today also
      falls into those two catagories. Yours, Steve
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
        Hello walkinginclogs@...

        On 07-Jun-03, you wrote:

        > Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to make
        > their fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm
        > just posing that possibility for further consideration.

        I think that is exactly what happened with the four canonical Gospels.
        The Orthodox church fathers turned myth into history. That is what
        these hell fire TV preatures are trying to do with Revelations (of
        St. John) all the time. Even the early church fathers knew better
        than to try that.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
          Hello Steve

          On 07-Jun-03, you wrote:

          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
          >> Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to
          > make their
          >> fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm just
          > posing that
          >> possibility for further consideration.
          >
          > I really don't think that any ancient author ever intended to write
          > history in the modern sense of the word. It was either myth-with-a-
          > meaning or propaganda for their group. Unfortunately, many people
          > today don't realize that much of what passes for history today also
          > falls into those two catagories. Yours, Steve

          Ah, better yet, propaganda posing as history.

        • walkinginclogs@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
            So true. Revelation forcast various wars which then took place soon after.
            Everything that it predicted, has already taken place. And yes, I can't
            possibly see how those fundamentalists could possibly believe that the fall of
            Babalyon is yet to come. If they believe that, they should go over there and look
            at the ruins. They say those things because it sells their religion. Join
            our church. We will SAVE you. Send us all your money, the world is about to
            end. One time I asked one of them why give it to you if the world is about to
            end. You can't use it either.

            Then too, I think that they might have written Revelation after it already
            happened. I remember Jean Dixon when she was still alive, never predicted the
            Gulf War. But she did predict that they would excavate Babylon, which was
            true. The only thing was that they had already started digging before she made
            the prediction!!
          • walkinginclogs@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
              I heard about some guy who sent out 5,000 letters to investers, predicting
              that a certain stock would go up. Then he sent another 5,000 letters to other
              people, predicting that that same stock would go down.

              The stock went up, so he dropped the 5,000 people from his mailing list whom
              he had predicted incorrectly. Then he sent another prediction out to those
              remaining. To 2,500 he predicted a certain other stock to go up. To the other
              half he predicted it would go down. The stock went down, so he dropped the
              2,500 whom he had predicted incorrectly. Those remaining are starting to
              anxiously await his next prediction, because to the, he has been right twice in a
              row.

              He keeps doing this until he narrows his list down to 50 people, then he
              sells these 50 some worthless stock in a mining company. Even the apostles
              believed that Christ's second coming was soon. The people who have been let down
              are now dead, and another generation of suckers are born.
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                > So true. Revelation forcast various wars which then took place
                soon after.
                > Everything that it predicted, has already taken place. And yes, I
                can't
                > possibly see how those fundamentalists could possibly believe that
                the fall of
                > Babalyon is yet to come. If they believe that, they should go
                over there and look
                > at the ruins. They say those things because it sells their
                religion. Join
                > our church. We will SAVE you. Send us all your money, the world
                is about to
                > end. One time I asked one of them why give it to you if the world
                is about to
                > end. You can't use it either.
                >
                > Then too, I think that they might have written Revelation after it
                already
                > happened. I remember Jean Dixon when she was still alive, never
                predicted the
                > Gulf War. But she did predict that they would excavate Babylon,
                which was
                > true. The only thing was that they had already started digging
                before she made
                > the prediction!!

                This may sound surprising, but I think that much of the vision of
                John the Elder in the book of Revelation was written after the fact
                and referred to phenomena associated with the eruption of Vesuvius
                in 79 A.D. Dio Cassius described the volcanic eruption using
                language highly similar to John's description of the seal judgements
                and trumpet judgements. Dio Cassius spoke of mountains being thrown
                into the sea, hills leaping about during the terrible earthquakes
                that accompanied the eruption. He spoke of the streams and bodies of
                water being poisoned for many miles around by the volcanic ash,
                killing large numbers of fish, fowl and wildlife. He said that the
                dark clouds extended as far as Rome, Egypt and Syria, blotting out
                the sun and plunging the land in darkness like night. He also said
                that the eruption was accompanied by one of the worst outbreaks of
                plague that the ancient world had ever seen [probably from the
                poisonous ash] causing terrible sores to break out on the skin.
                Amazingly, he even said that the eruption produced a loud noise like
                a trumpet being blown! I suspect that early christians saw the
                eruption of Vessuvius as being a sign of the End-Time, and that is
                why John incorporated it into his "vision". I believe that the four
                horsemen of the Apocalypse referred to the destruction of Jerusalem
                in 70 A.D. The first rider who "rode forth to conquer" and
                was "given a crown" was, in my opinion Titus who rode forth against
                and conquered Jerusalem and was crowned emperor after Vespassion.
                the other four horsemen refer to the war, the famine accompanying it
                and the prisoners being thrown to the wild beasts in the arena in
                rome after the war. Of course, John wrote about all this after the
                fact, but injected it into his vision for the edification of his
                followers. Just my opinion. Yours, Steve
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                  --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                  > I heard about some guy who sent out 5,000 letters to investers,
                  predicting
                  > that a certain stock would go up. Then he sent another 5,000
                  letters to other
                  > people, predicting that that same stock would go down.
                  >
                  > The stock went up, so he dropped the 5,000 people from his mailing
                  list whom
                  > he had predicted incorrectly. Then he sent another prediction out
                  to those
                  > remaining. To 2,500 he predicted a certain other stock to go up.
                  To the other
                  > half he predicted it would go down. The stock went down, so he
                  dropped the
                  > 2,500 whom he had predicted incorrectly. Those remaining are
                  starting to
                  > anxiously await his next prediction, because to the, he has been
                  right twice in a
                  > row.
                  >
                  > He keeps doing this until he narrows his list down to 50 people,
                  then he
                  > sells these 50 some worthless stock in a mining company. Even
                  the apostles
                  > believed that Christ's second coming was soon. The people who
                  have been let down
                  > are now dead, and another generation of suckers are born.

                  Very true. It's amazing how easily people buy into it. The book of
                  Revelation continually says that the End is coming soon. At the end
                  of the book it even has the Angel tell John not to seal up the
                  scroll of prophesy because it would be happening so soon. This in
                  contrast to the book of Daniel where the prophesy is sealed up
                  because it was going to take a long time to be fulfilled. Of course,
                  John's vision was written down in the 1st century and "soon" can
                  hardly mean 2000 years in the future! But fundamentalists continue
                  to try to apply it to our time. There's a sucker born every minute!
                  Yours, Steve
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <eugnostos2000@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > Very true. It's amazing how easily people buy into it. The book of
                    > Revelation continually says that the End is coming soon. At the end
                    > of the book it even has the Angel tell John not to seal up the
                    > scroll of prophesy because it would be happening so soon. This in
                    > contrast to the book of Daniel where the prophesy is sealed up
                    > because it was going to take a long time to be fulfilled. Of
                    course,
                    > John's vision was written down in the 1st century and "soon" can
                    > hardly mean 2000 years in the future! But fundamentalists continue
                    > to try to apply it to our time. There's a sucker born every minute!
                    > Yours, Steve

                    Say, Steve, have you ever tried reading Revelations while listening
                    to the Beatles? Just kidding, but it does make a point that you can
                    find extremists of all sorts who can come up with bizarre
                    interpretations.

                    As for apocalyptic groups that seem to continually rationalize
                    pushing back the date for their "end of times," it seems odd that if
                    the meaning of the seals had been correctly prophesied in the first
                    place that their god should have such a tough time keeping an
                    appointment. You'd think after being stood-up the first time by the
                    Horsemen, they'd reassess their interpretation, but such a mindset
                    doesn't much allow for that kind of thinking.

                    Still, I suppose it's better if such a group kept those thoughts to
                    themselves rather than interpret any hitches in God's alleged plan as
                    an open invitation for them to go Helter-Skelter on the rest of the
                    world.

                    Gerry
                  • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                      I think so. Dreams are merely a hodge-podge of experiences we had, usually
                      that day. The Seventh Day Adventists base a lot of their doctrine on an Ellen
                      White who said she had a vision. In this vision she said that she was told
                      not to eat meat. The Adventists then concluded that God said that you must not
                      eat meat.

                      Others said that after she died they found books in her home written by some
                      doctor which advocated a vegetarian diet. So I think that she was merely
                      dreaming about what she read in those books. But ardent followers would like to
                      believe that God told her all those things. When I was a teenager I used to
                      think that dreams had some kind of significance because Freud said so. But all
                      the literature that I have come across written by the psychiatric world seem to
                      agree that dreams are merely our subconscious hashing over our experiences of
                      the past day.
                    • pessy@chez.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                        walkinginclogs@... writes:
                        > But all the literature that I have come across
                        > written by the psychiatric world

                        those authors are materialistic ignorants and kakogogues,
                        one can't trust them in any sense.

                        Klaus Schilling
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pessy@c... wrote:
                          > walkinginclogs@a... writes:
                          > > But all the literature that I have come across
                          > > written by the psychiatric world
                          >
                          > those authors are materialistic ignorants and kakogogues,
                          > one can't trust them in any sense.
                          >
                          > Klaus Schilling

                          Well, to say that "dreams are merely our subconscious hashing over
                          our experiences of the past day" does seems to be a rather
                          constricted view of this phenomenon.

                          Cwbyspike, if you're able to get hold of a copy of this back issue of
                          _Gnosis_, Winter, 1992, you'll find a variety of articles devoted to
                          the subject of dreams:

                          http://www.lumen.org/issue_contents/contents22.html

                          Yes, this issue is over a decade old, but the articles still have
                          relevance IMO.

                          Editor Richard Smoley introduces this issue with an article
                          entitled, "Are Dreams for Real?"

                          From the article:
                          "One of the main objections to the reality of the dream world is the
                          belief, stated or unstated, that somehow the mind is the brain, that
                          our dreams (as well as our waking thoughts and emotions) are just
                          byproducts of neural events. The latest theory along these lines
                          comes from Harvard psychiatrist Allan Hobson. Dreaming, he says, is
                          caused by the brain's random emission of electrochemical
                          signals. `The dreaming brain automatically generates a barrage of
                          symbols that we do our best to assemble into a coherent
                          story….Dreaming is not triggered by daily events that resurrect
                          buried memories but is a process as automatic as breathing.' Dreams,
                          then, would be some sort of nervous discharge, our synapses firing
                          out their tensions each night like crazed hicks shooting at road
                          signs.

                          "Personally I don't have the sort of expertise that could confirm or
                          refute Hobson's view. Yet (at least as presented in the popular
                          press) it appears to come down to the same form of materialistic
                          reductionism that has been weighed and found wanting so many times
                          before. As philosopher Thomas Nagel has pointed out in a brief but
                          influential essay entitled `What Is It Like to Be a Bat?', our
                          neurological knowledge (even if it's right) tells us little or
                          nothing about what it is to be an experiencing subject. Nagel uses
                          the example of bats, who, being proverbially blind, don't see as we
                          see, but perceive by bouncing a form of sonar off objects. Even
                          though we know a fair amount about the mechanism of sonar, none of
                          this, Nagel argues, tells us what it's like _subjectively_ to be a
                          bat; we just don't have any sense that's close enough to sonar to
                          help us conceive of that experience. Similarly, theories like
                          Hobson's may tell us what's happening at the physiological level, but
                          they don't enlighten us much about what it is to be a dreaming
                          subject.

                          "This is an important point for two reasons. In the first place, the
                          materialistic view doesn't account for all the information: if I
                          dream, part of the data is my experience as a subject. Neurology can
                          tell me about myself as a functioning physical object, but it can't
                          tell me much about my subjective experience (much less anyone
                          else's); reductionistic theories thus don't account for all the
                          data. In the second place, they don't tell us what all this complex
                          cognitive apparatus is _for_. Even if Hobson is right and dreaming
                          is a cleansing of various neural mechanisms, why are these mechanisms
                          functioning to begin with? It's like saying the purpose of an
                          automobile is to have the oil changed.

                          "As a way to dealing with these problems, we could say that on the
                          one hand there is a perspective that views things as objects, from
                          the exterior, as a scientist observes someone in a sleep lab. There
                          is also a perspective that sees things subjectively, from within, as
                          the dreamer himself would experience the same situation. This second
                          perspective would be the realm known variously as the `dream world,'
                          the `astral world,' the `Dreaming' (to Australian aborigines), or
                          Yetzirah (to kabbalists). It interpenetrates with the physical world—
                          just as a dream is both a physiological event and a subjective
                          experience—but is not identical to it."

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                            Hello lady_caritas

                            On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

> [...]
                            > cognitive apparatus is _for_. Even if Hobson is right and dreaming
                            > is a cleansing of various neural mechanisms, why are these
                            > mechanisms functioning to begin with? It's like saying the purpose
                            > of an automobile is to have the oil changed.
                            >
                            > "As a way to dealing with these problems, we could say that on the
                            > one hand there is a perspective that views things as objects, from
                            > the exterior, as a scientist observes someone in a sleep lab. There
                            > is also a perspective that sees things subjectively, from within, as
                            > the dreamer himself would experience the same situation. This second
                            > perspective would be the realm known variously as the `dream world,'
                            > the `astral world,' the `Dreaming' (to Australian aborigines), or
                            > Yetzirah (to kabbalists). It interpenetrates with the physical world
                            > just as a dream is both a physiological event and a subjective

                            Well as some sort of Shaman put it, there are big dreams, and little
                            ones. Most of us don't have the big ones often, but then even the
                            little ones can have meaning.

                          • Barbara Jebenstreit
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                              > Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such
                              as mana,
                              > there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                              chance does
                              > anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
                              might be
                              > such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                              they aired some
                              > program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                              Exodus was a
                              > fairy tale, and never happened.

                              I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I know
                              that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened, though
                              the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is thought
                              to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                              some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                              morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry snowflakes
                              which the Isrealites then collected.

                              Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                              welcome and the reading suggestions. :)

                              Greetings,
                              Barbara
                            • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                Thank you for the manna info. Very interesting.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                  Hello Barbara

                                  On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

                                  > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                                  >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such
                                  > as mana,
                                  >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                                  > chance does
                                  >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
                                  > might be
                                  >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                                  > they aired some
                                  >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                                  > Exodus was a
                                  >> fairy tale, and never happened.
                                  >

                                  > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I know
                                  > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened, though
                                  > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is thought
                                  > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                                  > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                                  > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
                                  > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                  >
                                  > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                  > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                  >
                                  > Greetings,
                                  > Barbara

                                  Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                    > Hello Barbara
                                    >
                                    > On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                                    > >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance
                                    such
                                    > > as mana,
                                    > >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                                    > > chance does
                                    > >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered,
                                    there
                                    > > might be
                                    > >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                                    > > they aired some
                                    > >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                                    > > Exodus was a
                                    > >> fairy tale, and never happened.
                                    > >

                                    > > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
                                    know
                                    > > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
                                    though
                                    > > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
                                    thought
                                    > > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                                    > > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                                    > > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
                                    > > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                    > >
                                    > > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                    > > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                    > >
                                    > > Greetings,
                                    > > Barbara
                                    >
                                    > Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    > --
                                    > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                                    Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
                                    Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
                                    the page):

                                    http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 9, 2003
                                      Hello lady_caritas

                                      On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

                                      >> Hello Barbara

                                      > such
                                      >>> as mana,
                                      >>> chance does
                                      > there
                                      >>> might be
                                      >>> they aired some
                                      >>> Exodus was a
                                      >>>

                                      >>> I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
                                      > know
                                      >>> that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
                                      > though
                                      >>> the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
                                      > thought
                                      >> > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would
                                      >> > excrete some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the
                                      >> > night. Until morning, the substance had dried to a solid form,
                                      >> > like dry snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                      >> > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Greetings,
                                      >> > Barbara
                                      >>
                                      >> Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
                                      >>
                                      >> Regards
                                      >> --
                                      >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                                      >

                                      > Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
                                      > Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
                                      > the page):
                                      >
                                      > http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html
                                      >

                                      > Cari

                                      And it confirms the bug dung too. :-)