Re: Beans, Manna from Heaven

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
      > Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance
      such as mana,
      > there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
      chance does
      > anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
      might be
      > such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
      they aired some
      > program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
      Exodus was a
      > fairy tale, and never happened.

      I personally believe that it is a mistake to think that the people
      who composed ancient myth-stories were trying to write history in
      the modern sense. Yours, Steve
    • walkinginclogs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
        Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to make their
        fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm just posing that
        possibility for further consideration.
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
          > Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to
          make their
          > fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm just
          posing that
          > possibility for further consideration.

          I really don't think that any ancient author ever intended to write
          history in the modern sense of the word. It was either myth-with-a-
          meaning or propaganda for their group. Unfortunately, many people
          today don't realize that much of what passes for history today also
          falls into those two catagories. Yours, Steve
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
            Hello walkinginclogs@...

            On 07-Jun-03, you wrote:

            > Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to make
            > their fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm
            > just posing that possibility for further consideration.

            I think that is exactly what happened with the four canonical Gospels.
            The Orthodox church fathers turned myth into history. That is what
            these hell fire TV preatures are trying to do with Revelations (of
            St. John) all the time. Even the early church fathers knew better
            than to try that.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
              Hello Steve

              On 07-Jun-03, you wrote:

              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
              >> Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to
              > make their
              >> fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm just
              > posing that
              >> possibility for further consideration.
              >
              > I really don't think that any ancient author ever intended to write
              > history in the modern sense of the word. It was either myth-with-a-
              > meaning or propaganda for their group. Unfortunately, many people
              > today don't realize that much of what passes for history today also
              > falls into those two catagories. Yours, Steve

              Ah, better yet, propaganda posing as history.

            • walkinginclogs@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                So true. Revelation forcast various wars which then took place soon after.
                Everything that it predicted, has already taken place. And yes, I can't
                possibly see how those fundamentalists could possibly believe that the fall of
                Babalyon is yet to come. If they believe that, they should go over there and look
                at the ruins. They say those things because it sells their religion. Join
                our church. We will SAVE you. Send us all your money, the world is about to
                end. One time I asked one of them why give it to you if the world is about to
                end. You can't use it either.

                Then too, I think that they might have written Revelation after it already
                happened. I remember Jean Dixon when she was still alive, never predicted the
                Gulf War. But she did predict that they would excavate Babylon, which was
                true. The only thing was that they had already started digging before she made
                the prediction!!
              • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                  I heard about some guy who sent out 5,000 letters to investers, predicting
                  that a certain stock would go up. Then he sent another 5,000 letters to other
                  people, predicting that that same stock would go down.

                  The stock went up, so he dropped the 5,000 people from his mailing list whom
                  he had predicted incorrectly. Then he sent another prediction out to those
                  remaining. To 2,500 he predicted a certain other stock to go up. To the other
                  half he predicted it would go down. The stock went down, so he dropped the
                  2,500 whom he had predicted incorrectly. Those remaining are starting to
                  anxiously await his next prediction, because to the, he has been right twice in a
                  row.

                  He keeps doing this until he narrows his list down to 50 people, then he
                  sells these 50 some worthless stock in a mining company. Even the apostles
                  believed that Christ's second coming was soon. The people who have been let down
                  are now dead, and another generation of suckers are born.
                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                    > So true. Revelation forcast various wars which then took place
                    soon after.
                    > Everything that it predicted, has already taken place. And yes, I
                    can't
                    > possibly see how those fundamentalists could possibly believe that
                    the fall of
                    > Babalyon is yet to come. If they believe that, they should go
                    over there and look
                    > at the ruins. They say those things because it sells their
                    religion. Join
                    > our church. We will SAVE you. Send us all your money, the world
                    is about to
                    > end. One time I asked one of them why give it to you if the world
                    is about to
                    > end. You can't use it either.
                    >
                    > Then too, I think that they might have written Revelation after it
                    already
                    > happened. I remember Jean Dixon when she was still alive, never
                    predicted the
                    > Gulf War. But she did predict that they would excavate Babylon,
                    which was
                    > true. The only thing was that they had already started digging
                    before she made
                    > the prediction!!

                    This may sound surprising, but I think that much of the vision of
                    John the Elder in the book of Revelation was written after the fact
                    and referred to phenomena associated with the eruption of Vesuvius
                    in 79 A.D. Dio Cassius described the volcanic eruption using
                    language highly similar to John's description of the seal judgements
                    and trumpet judgements. Dio Cassius spoke of mountains being thrown
                    into the sea, hills leaping about during the terrible earthquakes
                    that accompanied the eruption. He spoke of the streams and bodies of
                    water being poisoned for many miles around by the volcanic ash,
                    killing large numbers of fish, fowl and wildlife. He said that the
                    dark clouds extended as far as Rome, Egypt and Syria, blotting out
                    the sun and plunging the land in darkness like night. He also said
                    that the eruption was accompanied by one of the worst outbreaks of
                    plague that the ancient world had ever seen [probably from the
                    poisonous ash] causing terrible sores to break out on the skin.
                    Amazingly, he even said that the eruption produced a loud noise like
                    a trumpet being blown! I suspect that early christians saw the
                    eruption of Vessuvius as being a sign of the End-Time, and that is
                    why John incorporated it into his "vision". I believe that the four
                    horsemen of the Apocalypse referred to the destruction of Jerusalem
                    in 70 A.D. The first rider who "rode forth to conquer" and
                    was "given a crown" was, in my opinion Titus who rode forth against
                    and conquered Jerusalem and was crowned emperor after Vespassion.
                    the other four horsemen refer to the war, the famine accompanying it
                    and the prisoners being thrown to the wild beasts in the arena in
                    rome after the war. Of course, John wrote about all this after the
                    fact, but injected it into his vision for the edification of his
                    followers. Just my opinion. Yours, Steve
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                      > I heard about some guy who sent out 5,000 letters to investers,
                      predicting
                      > that a certain stock would go up. Then he sent another 5,000
                      letters to other
                      > people, predicting that that same stock would go down.
                      >
                      > The stock went up, so he dropped the 5,000 people from his mailing
                      list whom
                      > he had predicted incorrectly. Then he sent another prediction out
                      to those
                      > remaining. To 2,500 he predicted a certain other stock to go up.
                      To the other
                      > half he predicted it would go down. The stock went down, so he
                      dropped the
                      > 2,500 whom he had predicted incorrectly. Those remaining are
                      starting to
                      > anxiously await his next prediction, because to the, he has been
                      right twice in a
                      > row.
                      >
                      > He keeps doing this until he narrows his list down to 50 people,
                      then he
                      > sells these 50 some worthless stock in a mining company. Even
                      the apostles
                      > believed that Christ's second coming was soon. The people who
                      have been let down
                      > are now dead, and another generation of suckers are born.

                      Very true. It's amazing how easily people buy into it. The book of
                      Revelation continually says that the End is coming soon. At the end
                      of the book it even has the Angel tell John not to seal up the
                      scroll of prophesy because it would be happening so soon. This in
                      contrast to the book of Daniel where the prophesy is sealed up
                      because it was going to take a long time to be fulfilled. Of course,
                      John's vision was written down in the 1st century and "soon" can
                      hardly mean 2000 years in the future! But fundamentalists continue
                      to try to apply it to our time. There's a sucker born every minute!
                      Yours, Steve
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <eugnostos2000@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > Very true. It's amazing how easily people buy into it. The book of
                        > Revelation continually says that the End is coming soon. At the end
                        > of the book it even has the Angel tell John not to seal up the
                        > scroll of prophesy because it would be happening so soon. This in
                        > contrast to the book of Daniel where the prophesy is sealed up
                        > because it was going to take a long time to be fulfilled. Of
                        course,
                        > John's vision was written down in the 1st century and "soon" can
                        > hardly mean 2000 years in the future! But fundamentalists continue
                        > to try to apply it to our time. There's a sucker born every minute!
                        > Yours, Steve

                        Say, Steve, have you ever tried reading Revelations while listening
                        to the Beatles? Just kidding, but it does make a point that you can
                        find extremists of all sorts who can come up with bizarre
                        interpretations.

                        As for apocalyptic groups that seem to continually rationalize
                        pushing back the date for their "end of times," it seems odd that if
                        the meaning of the seals had been correctly prophesied in the first
                        place that their god should have such a tough time keeping an
                        appointment. You'd think after being stood-up the first time by the
                        Horsemen, they'd reassess their interpretation, but such a mindset
                        doesn't much allow for that kind of thinking.

                        Still, I suppose it's better if such a group kept those thoughts to
                        themselves rather than interpret any hitches in God's alleged plan as
                        an open invitation for them to go Helter-Skelter on the rest of the
                        world.

                        Gerry
                      • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                          I think so. Dreams are merely a hodge-podge of experiences we had, usually
                          that day. The Seventh Day Adventists base a lot of their doctrine on an Ellen
                          White who said she had a vision. In this vision she said that she was told
                          not to eat meat. The Adventists then concluded that God said that you must not
                          eat meat.

                          Others said that after she died they found books in her home written by some
                          doctor which advocated a vegetarian diet. So I think that she was merely
                          dreaming about what she read in those books. But ardent followers would like to
                          believe that God told her all those things. When I was a teenager I used to
                          think that dreams had some kind of significance because Freud said so. But all
                          the literature that I have come across written by the psychiatric world seem to
                          agree that dreams are merely our subconscious hashing over our experiences of
                          the past day.
                        • pessy@chez.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                            walkinginclogs@... writes:
                            > But all the literature that I have come across
                            > written by the psychiatric world

                            those authors are materialistic ignorants and kakogogues,
                            one can't trust them in any sense.

                            Klaus Schilling
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pessy@c... wrote:
                              > walkinginclogs@a... writes:
                              > > But all the literature that I have come across
                              > > written by the psychiatric world
                              >
                              > those authors are materialistic ignorants and kakogogues,
                              > one can't trust them in any sense.
                              >
                              > Klaus Schilling

                              Well, to say that "dreams are merely our subconscious hashing over
                              our experiences of the past day" does seems to be a rather
                              constricted view of this phenomenon.

                              Cwbyspike, if you're able to get hold of a copy of this back issue of
                              _Gnosis_, Winter, 1992, you'll find a variety of articles devoted to
                              the subject of dreams:

                              http://www.lumen.org/issue_contents/contents22.html

                              Yes, this issue is over a decade old, but the articles still have
                              relevance IMO.

                              Editor Richard Smoley introduces this issue with an article
                              entitled, "Are Dreams for Real?"

                              From the article:
                              "One of the main objections to the reality of the dream world is the
                              belief, stated or unstated, that somehow the mind is the brain, that
                              our dreams (as well as our waking thoughts and emotions) are just
                              byproducts of neural events. The latest theory along these lines
                              comes from Harvard psychiatrist Allan Hobson. Dreaming, he says, is
                              caused by the brain's random emission of electrochemical
                              signals. `The dreaming brain automatically generates a barrage of
                              symbols that we do our best to assemble into a coherent
                              story….Dreaming is not triggered by daily events that resurrect
                              buried memories but is a process as automatic as breathing.' Dreams,
                              then, would be some sort of nervous discharge, our synapses firing
                              out their tensions each night like crazed hicks shooting at road
                              signs.

                              "Personally I don't have the sort of expertise that could confirm or
                              refute Hobson's view. Yet (at least as presented in the popular
                              press) it appears to come down to the same form of materialistic
                              reductionism that has been weighed and found wanting so many times
                              before. As philosopher Thomas Nagel has pointed out in a brief but
                              influential essay entitled `What Is It Like to Be a Bat?', our
                              neurological knowledge (even if it's right) tells us little or
                              nothing about what it is to be an experiencing subject. Nagel uses
                              the example of bats, who, being proverbially blind, don't see as we
                              see, but perceive by bouncing a form of sonar off objects. Even
                              though we know a fair amount about the mechanism of sonar, none of
                              this, Nagel argues, tells us what it's like _subjectively_ to be a
                              bat; we just don't have any sense that's close enough to sonar to
                              help us conceive of that experience. Similarly, theories like
                              Hobson's may tell us what's happening at the physiological level, but
                              they don't enlighten us much about what it is to be a dreaming
                              subject.

                              "This is an important point for two reasons. In the first place, the
                              materialistic view doesn't account for all the information: if I
                              dream, part of the data is my experience as a subject. Neurology can
                              tell me about myself as a functioning physical object, but it can't
                              tell me much about my subjective experience (much less anyone
                              else's); reductionistic theories thus don't account for all the
                              data. In the second place, they don't tell us what all this complex
                              cognitive apparatus is _for_. Even if Hobson is right and dreaming
                              is a cleansing of various neural mechanisms, why are these mechanisms
                              functioning to begin with? It's like saying the purpose of an
                              automobile is to have the oil changed.

                              "As a way to dealing with these problems, we could say that on the
                              one hand there is a perspective that views things as objects, from
                              the exterior, as a scientist observes someone in a sleep lab. There
                              is also a perspective that sees things subjectively, from within, as
                              the dreamer himself would experience the same situation. This second
                              perspective would be the realm known variously as the `dream world,'
                              the `astral world,' the `Dreaming' (to Australian aborigines), or
                              Yetzirah (to kabbalists). It interpenetrates with the physical world—
                              just as a dream is both a physiological event and a subjective
                              experience—but is not identical to it."

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                Hello lady_caritas

                                On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

> [...]
                                > cognitive apparatus is _for_. Even if Hobson is right and dreaming
                                > is a cleansing of various neural mechanisms, why are these
                                > mechanisms functioning to begin with? It's like saying the purpose
                                > of an automobile is to have the oil changed.
                                >
                                > "As a way to dealing with these problems, we could say that on the
                                > one hand there is a perspective that views things as objects, from
                                > the exterior, as a scientist observes someone in a sleep lab. There
                                > is also a perspective that sees things subjectively, from within, as
                                > the dreamer himself would experience the same situation. This second
                                > perspective would be the realm known variously as the `dream world,'
                                > the `astral world,' the `Dreaming' (to Australian aborigines), or
                                > Yetzirah (to kabbalists). It interpenetrates with the physical world
                                > just as a dream is both a physiological event and a subjective

                                Well as some sort of Shaman put it, there are big dreams, and little
                                ones. Most of us don't have the big ones often, but then even the
                                little ones can have meaning.

                              • Barbara Jebenstreit
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                  --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                                  > Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such
                                  as mana,
                                  > there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                                  chance does
                                  > anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
                                  might be
                                  > such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                                  they aired some
                                  > program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                                  Exodus was a
                                  > fairy tale, and never happened.

                                  I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I know
                                  that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened, though
                                  the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is thought
                                  to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                                  some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                                  morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry snowflakes
                                  which the Isrealites then collected.

                                  Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                  welcome and the reading suggestions. :)

                                  Greetings,
                                  Barbara
                                • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                    Thank you for the manna info. Very interesting.
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                      Hello Barbara

                                      On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

                                      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                                      >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such
                                      > as mana,
                                      >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                                      > chance does
                                      >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
                                      > might be
                                      >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                                      > they aired some
                                      >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                                      > Exodus was a
                                      >> fairy tale, and never happened.
                                      >

                                      > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I know
                                      > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened, though
                                      > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is thought
                                      > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                                      > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                                      > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
                                      > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                      >
                                      > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                      > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                      >
                                      > Greetings,
                                      > Barbara

                                      Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                        > Hello Barbara
                                        >
                                        > On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                                        > >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance
                                        such
                                        > > as mana,
                                        > >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                                        > > chance does
                                        > >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered,
                                        there
                                        > > might be
                                        > >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                                        > > they aired some
                                        > >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                                        > > Exodus was a
                                        > >> fairy tale, and never happened.
                                        > >

                                        > > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
                                        know
                                        > > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
                                        though
                                        > > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
                                        thought
                                        > > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                                        > > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                                        > > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
                                        > > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                        > >
                                        > > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                        > > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                        > >
                                        > > Greetings,
                                        > > Barbara
                                        >
                                        > Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
                                        >
                                        > Regards
                                        > --
                                        > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                                        Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
                                        Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
                                        the page):

                                        http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 9, 2003
                                          Hello lady_caritas

                                          On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

                                          >> Hello Barbara

                                          > such
                                          >>> as mana,
                                          >>> chance does
                                          > there
                                          >>> might be
                                          >>> they aired some
                                          >>> Exodus was a
                                          >>>

                                          >>> I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
                                          > know
                                          >>> that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
                                          > though
                                          >>> the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
                                          > thought
                                          >> > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would
                                          >> > excrete some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the
                                          >> > night. Until morning, the substance had dried to a solid form,
                                          >> > like dry snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                          >> >
                                          >> > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                          >> > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                          >> >
                                          >> > Greetings,
                                          >> > Barbara
                                          >>
                                          >> Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
                                          >>
                                          >> Regards
                                          >> --
                                          >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                                          >

                                          > Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
                                          > Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
                                          > the page):
                                          >
                                          > http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html
                                          >

                                          > Cari

                                          And it confirms the bug dung too. :-)