Beans, Manna from Heaven

  • Wayne
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
      Beans Manna from Heaven, food for the spirit that fills your heart
      with joy.

      Few are able to avoid the laughter when the magical Fruit makes you
      toot..
    • walkinginclogs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
        Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such as mana,
        there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any chance does
        anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there might be
        such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS they aired some
        program in which some historians believe that the whole book of Exodus was a
        fairy tale, and never happened.
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
          > Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance
          such as mana,
          > there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
          chance does
          > anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
          might be
          > such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
          they aired some
          > program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
          Exodus was a
          > fairy tale, and never happened.

          I personally believe that it is a mistake to think that the people
          who composed ancient myth-stories were trying to write history in
          the modern sense. Yours, Steve
        • walkinginclogs@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
            Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to make their
            fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm just posing that
            possibility for further consideration.
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
              > Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to
              make their
              > fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm just
              posing that
              > possibility for further consideration.

              I really don't think that any ancient author ever intended to write
              history in the modern sense of the word. It was either myth-with-a-
              meaning or propaganda for their group. Unfortunately, many people
              today don't realize that much of what passes for history today also
              falls into those two catagories. Yours, Steve
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                Hello walkinginclogs@...

                On 07-Jun-03, you wrote:

                > Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to make
                > their fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm
                > just posing that possibility for further consideration.

                I think that is exactly what happened with the four canonical Gospels.
                The Orthodox church fathers turned myth into history. That is what
                these hell fire TV preatures are trying to do with Revelations (of
                St. John) all the time. Even the early church fathers knew better
                than to try that.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                  Hello Steve

                  On 07-Jun-03, you wrote:

                  > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                  >> Could it be that they didn't intend to, but later man tried to
                  > make their
                  >> fiction into history? I'm not saying this happened, but I'm just
                  > posing that
                  >> possibility for further consideration.
                  >
                  > I really don't think that any ancient author ever intended to write
                  > history in the modern sense of the word. It was either myth-with-a-
                  > meaning or propaganda for their group. Unfortunately, many people
                  > today don't realize that much of what passes for history today also
                  > falls into those two catagories. Yours, Steve

                  Ah, better yet, propaganda posing as history.

                • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                    So true. Revelation forcast various wars which then took place soon after.
                    Everything that it predicted, has already taken place. And yes, I can't
                    possibly see how those fundamentalists could possibly believe that the fall of
                    Babalyon is yet to come. If they believe that, they should go over there and look
                    at the ruins. They say those things because it sells their religion. Join
                    our church. We will SAVE you. Send us all your money, the world is about to
                    end. One time I asked one of them why give it to you if the world is about to
                    end. You can't use it either.

                    Then too, I think that they might have written Revelation after it already
                    happened. I remember Jean Dixon when she was still alive, never predicted the
                    Gulf War. But she did predict that they would excavate Babylon, which was
                    true. The only thing was that they had already started digging before she made
                    the prediction!!
                  • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                      I heard about some guy who sent out 5,000 letters to investers, predicting
                      that a certain stock would go up. Then he sent another 5,000 letters to other
                      people, predicting that that same stock would go down.

                      The stock went up, so he dropped the 5,000 people from his mailing list whom
                      he had predicted incorrectly. Then he sent another prediction out to those
                      remaining. To 2,500 he predicted a certain other stock to go up. To the other
                      half he predicted it would go down. The stock went down, so he dropped the
                      2,500 whom he had predicted incorrectly. Those remaining are starting to
                      anxiously await his next prediction, because to the, he has been right twice in a
                      row.

                      He keeps doing this until he narrows his list down to 50 people, then he
                      sells these 50 some worthless stock in a mining company. Even the apostles
                      believed that Christ's second coming was soon. The people who have been let down
                      are now dead, and another generation of suckers are born.
                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                        > So true. Revelation forcast various wars which then took place
                        soon after.
                        > Everything that it predicted, has already taken place. And yes, I
                        can't
                        > possibly see how those fundamentalists could possibly believe that
                        the fall of
                        > Babalyon is yet to come. If they believe that, they should go
                        over there and look
                        > at the ruins. They say those things because it sells their
                        religion. Join
                        > our church. We will SAVE you. Send us all your money, the world
                        is about to
                        > end. One time I asked one of them why give it to you if the world
                        is about to
                        > end. You can't use it either.
                        >
                        > Then too, I think that they might have written Revelation after it
                        already
                        > happened. I remember Jean Dixon when she was still alive, never
                        predicted the
                        > Gulf War. But she did predict that they would excavate Babylon,
                        which was
                        > true. The only thing was that they had already started digging
                        before she made
                        > the prediction!!

                        This may sound surprising, but I think that much of the vision of
                        John the Elder in the book of Revelation was written after the fact
                        and referred to phenomena associated with the eruption of Vesuvius
                        in 79 A.D. Dio Cassius described the volcanic eruption using
                        language highly similar to John's description of the seal judgements
                        and trumpet judgements. Dio Cassius spoke of mountains being thrown
                        into the sea, hills leaping about during the terrible earthquakes
                        that accompanied the eruption. He spoke of the streams and bodies of
                        water being poisoned for many miles around by the volcanic ash,
                        killing large numbers of fish, fowl and wildlife. He said that the
                        dark clouds extended as far as Rome, Egypt and Syria, blotting out
                        the sun and plunging the land in darkness like night. He also said
                        that the eruption was accompanied by one of the worst outbreaks of
                        plague that the ancient world had ever seen [probably from the
                        poisonous ash] causing terrible sores to break out on the skin.
                        Amazingly, he even said that the eruption produced a loud noise like
                        a trumpet being blown! I suspect that early christians saw the
                        eruption of Vessuvius as being a sign of the End-Time, and that is
                        why John incorporated it into his "vision". I believe that the four
                        horsemen of the Apocalypse referred to the destruction of Jerusalem
                        in 70 A.D. The first rider who "rode forth to conquer" and
                        was "given a crown" was, in my opinion Titus who rode forth against
                        and conquered Jerusalem and was crowned emperor after Vespassion.
                        the other four horsemen refer to the war, the famine accompanying it
                        and the prisoners being thrown to the wild beasts in the arena in
                        rome after the war. Of course, John wrote about all this after the
                        fact, but injected it into his vision for the edification of his
                        followers. Just my opinion. Yours, Steve
                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 7, 2003
                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                          > I heard about some guy who sent out 5,000 letters to investers,
                          predicting
                          > that a certain stock would go up. Then he sent another 5,000
                          letters to other
                          > people, predicting that that same stock would go down.
                          >
                          > The stock went up, so he dropped the 5,000 people from his mailing
                          list whom
                          > he had predicted incorrectly. Then he sent another prediction out
                          to those
                          > remaining. To 2,500 he predicted a certain other stock to go up.
                          To the other
                          > half he predicted it would go down. The stock went down, so he
                          dropped the
                          > 2,500 whom he had predicted incorrectly. Those remaining are
                          starting to
                          > anxiously await his next prediction, because to the, he has been
                          right twice in a
                          > row.
                          >
                          > He keeps doing this until he narrows his list down to 50 people,
                          then he
                          > sells these 50 some worthless stock in a mining company. Even
                          the apostles
                          > believed that Christ's second coming was soon. The people who
                          have been let down
                          > are now dead, and another generation of suckers are born.

                          Very true. It's amazing how easily people buy into it. The book of
                          Revelation continually says that the End is coming soon. At the end
                          of the book it even has the Angel tell John not to seal up the
                          scroll of prophesy because it would be happening so soon. This in
                          contrast to the book of Daniel where the prophesy is sealed up
                          because it was going to take a long time to be fulfilled. Of course,
                          John's vision was written down in the 1st century and "soon" can
                          hardly mean 2000 years in the future! But fundamentalists continue
                          to try to apply it to our time. There's a sucker born every minute!
                          Yours, Steve
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <eugnostos2000@y...>
                            wrote:

                            > Very true. It's amazing how easily people buy into it. The book of
                            > Revelation continually says that the End is coming soon. At the end
                            > of the book it even has the Angel tell John not to seal up the
                            > scroll of prophesy because it would be happening so soon. This in
                            > contrast to the book of Daniel where the prophesy is sealed up
                            > because it was going to take a long time to be fulfilled. Of
                            course,
                            > John's vision was written down in the 1st century and "soon" can
                            > hardly mean 2000 years in the future! But fundamentalists continue
                            > to try to apply it to our time. There's a sucker born every minute!
                            > Yours, Steve

                            Say, Steve, have you ever tried reading Revelations while listening
                            to the Beatles? Just kidding, but it does make a point that you can
                            find extremists of all sorts who can come up with bizarre
                            interpretations.

                            As for apocalyptic groups that seem to continually rationalize
                            pushing back the date for their "end of times," it seems odd that if
                            the meaning of the seals had been correctly prophesied in the first
                            place that their god should have such a tough time keeping an
                            appointment. You'd think after being stood-up the first time by the
                            Horsemen, they'd reassess their interpretation, but such a mindset
                            doesn't much allow for that kind of thinking.

                            Still, I suppose it's better if such a group kept those thoughts to
                            themselves rather than interpret any hitches in God's alleged plan as
                            an open invitation for them to go Helter-Skelter on the rest of the
                            world.

                            Gerry
                          • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                              I think so. Dreams are merely a hodge-podge of experiences we had, usually
                              that day. The Seventh Day Adventists base a lot of their doctrine on an Ellen
                              White who said she had a vision. In this vision she said that she was told
                              not to eat meat. The Adventists then concluded that God said that you must not
                              eat meat.

                              Others said that after she died they found books in her home written by some
                              doctor which advocated a vegetarian diet. So I think that she was merely
                              dreaming about what she read in those books. But ardent followers would like to
                              believe that God told her all those things. When I was a teenager I used to
                              think that dreams had some kind of significance because Freud said so. But all
                              the literature that I have come across written by the psychiatric world seem to
                              agree that dreams are merely our subconscious hashing over our experiences of
                              the past day.
                            • pessy@chez.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                walkinginclogs@... writes:
                                > But all the literature that I have come across
                                > written by the psychiatric world

                                those authors are materialistic ignorants and kakogogues,
                                one can't trust them in any sense.

                                Klaus Schilling
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                  --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pessy@c... wrote:
                                  > walkinginclogs@a... writes:
                                  > > But all the literature that I have come across
                                  > > written by the psychiatric world
                                  >
                                  > those authors are materialistic ignorants and kakogogues,
                                  > one can't trust them in any sense.
                                  >
                                  > Klaus Schilling

                                  Well, to say that "dreams are merely our subconscious hashing over
                                  our experiences of the past day" does seems to be a rather
                                  constricted view of this phenomenon.

                                  Cwbyspike, if you're able to get hold of a copy of this back issue of
                                  _Gnosis_, Winter, 1992, you'll find a variety of articles devoted to
                                  the subject of dreams:

                                  http://www.lumen.org/issue_contents/contents22.html

                                  Yes, this issue is over a decade old, but the articles still have
                                  relevance IMO.

                                  Editor Richard Smoley introduces this issue with an article
                                  entitled, "Are Dreams for Real?"

                                  From the article:
                                  "One of the main objections to the reality of the dream world is the
                                  belief, stated or unstated, that somehow the mind is the brain, that
                                  our dreams (as well as our waking thoughts and emotions) are just
                                  byproducts of neural events. The latest theory along these lines
                                  comes from Harvard psychiatrist Allan Hobson. Dreaming, he says, is
                                  caused by the brain's random emission of electrochemical
                                  signals. `The dreaming brain automatically generates a barrage of
                                  symbols that we do our best to assemble into a coherent
                                  story….Dreaming is not triggered by daily events that resurrect
                                  buried memories but is a process as automatic as breathing.' Dreams,
                                  then, would be some sort of nervous discharge, our synapses firing
                                  out their tensions each night like crazed hicks shooting at road
                                  signs.

                                  "Personally I don't have the sort of expertise that could confirm or
                                  refute Hobson's view. Yet (at least as presented in the popular
                                  press) it appears to come down to the same form of materialistic
                                  reductionism that has been weighed and found wanting so many times
                                  before. As philosopher Thomas Nagel has pointed out in a brief but
                                  influential essay entitled `What Is It Like to Be a Bat?', our
                                  neurological knowledge (even if it's right) tells us little or
                                  nothing about what it is to be an experiencing subject. Nagel uses
                                  the example of bats, who, being proverbially blind, don't see as we
                                  see, but perceive by bouncing a form of sonar off objects. Even
                                  though we know a fair amount about the mechanism of sonar, none of
                                  this, Nagel argues, tells us what it's like _subjectively_ to be a
                                  bat; we just don't have any sense that's close enough to sonar to
                                  help us conceive of that experience. Similarly, theories like
                                  Hobson's may tell us what's happening at the physiological level, but
                                  they don't enlighten us much about what it is to be a dreaming
                                  subject.

                                  "This is an important point for two reasons. In the first place, the
                                  materialistic view doesn't account for all the information: if I
                                  dream, part of the data is my experience as a subject. Neurology can
                                  tell me about myself as a functioning physical object, but it can't
                                  tell me much about my subjective experience (much less anyone
                                  else's); reductionistic theories thus don't account for all the
                                  data. In the second place, they don't tell us what all this complex
                                  cognitive apparatus is _for_. Even if Hobson is right and dreaming
                                  is a cleansing of various neural mechanisms, why are these mechanisms
                                  functioning to begin with? It's like saying the purpose of an
                                  automobile is to have the oil changed.

                                  "As a way to dealing with these problems, we could say that on the
                                  one hand there is a perspective that views things as objects, from
                                  the exterior, as a scientist observes someone in a sleep lab. There
                                  is also a perspective that sees things subjectively, from within, as
                                  the dreamer himself would experience the same situation. This second
                                  perspective would be the realm known variously as the `dream world,'
                                  the `astral world,' the `Dreaming' (to Australian aborigines), or
                                  Yetzirah (to kabbalists). It interpenetrates with the physical world—
                                  just as a dream is both a physiological event and a subjective
                                  experience—but is not identical to it."

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                    Hello lady_caritas

                                    On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

> [...]
                                    > cognitive apparatus is _for_. Even if Hobson is right and dreaming
                                    > is a cleansing of various neural mechanisms, why are these
                                    > mechanisms functioning to begin with? It's like saying the purpose
                                    > of an automobile is to have the oil changed.
                                    >
                                    > "As a way to dealing with these problems, we could say that on the
                                    > one hand there is a perspective that views things as objects, from
                                    > the exterior, as a scientist observes someone in a sleep lab. There
                                    > is also a perspective that sees things subjectively, from within, as
                                    > the dreamer himself would experience the same situation. This second
                                    > perspective would be the realm known variously as the `dream world,'
                                    > the `astral world,' the `Dreaming' (to Australian aborigines), or
                                    > Yetzirah (to kabbalists). It interpenetrates with the physical world
                                    > just as a dream is both a physiological event and a subjective

                                    Well as some sort of Shaman put it, there are big dreams, and little
                                    ones. Most of us don't have the big ones often, but then even the
                                    little ones can have meaning.

                                  • Barbara Jebenstreit
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                                      > Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such
                                      as mana,
                                      > there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                                      chance does
                                      > anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
                                      might be
                                      > such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                                      they aired some
                                      > program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                                      Exodus was a
                                      > fairy tale, and never happened.

                                      I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I know
                                      that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened, though
                                      the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is thought
                                      to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                                      some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                                      morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry snowflakes
                                      which the Isrealites then collected.

                                      Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                      welcome and the reading suggestions. :)

                                      Greetings,
                                      Barbara
                                    • walkinginclogs@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                        Thank you for the manna info. Very interesting.
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                          Hello Barbara

                                          On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

                                          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                                          >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance such
                                          > as mana,
                                          >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                                          > chance does
                                          >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered, there
                                          > might be
                                          >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                                          > they aired some
                                          >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                                          > Exodus was a
                                          >> fairy tale, and never happened.
                                          >

                                          > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I know
                                          > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened, though
                                          > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is thought
                                          > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                                          > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                                          > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
                                          > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                          >
                                          > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                          > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                          >
                                          > Greetings,
                                          > Barbara

                                          Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 8, 2003
                                            > Hello Barbara
                                            >
                                            > On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, walkinginclogs@a... wrote:
                                            > >> Speaking of manna. For every so-called supernatural occurrance
                                            such
                                            > > as mana,
                                            > >> there seems to be a rational scientific explanation. So by any
                                            > > chance does
                                            > >> anyone know if in that region where the Isrealites wandered,
                                            there
                                            > > might be
                                            > >> such a thing maybe as this manna even today? Of course on PBS
                                            > > they aired some
                                            > >> program in which some historians believe that the whole book of
                                            > > Exodus was a
                                            > >> fairy tale, and never happened.
                                            > >

                                            > > I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
                                            know
                                            > > that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
                                            though
                                            > > the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
                                            thought
                                            > > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would excrete
                                            > > some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the night. Until
                                            > > morning, the substance had dried to a solid form, like dry
                                            > > snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                            > >
                                            > > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                            > > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                            > >
                                            > > Greetings,
                                            > > Barbara
                                            >
                                            > Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
                                            >
                                            > Regards
                                            > --
                                            > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                                            Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
                                            Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
                                            the page):

                                            http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 9, 2003
                                              Hello lady_caritas

                                              On 08-Jun-03, you wrote:

                                              >> Hello Barbara

                                              > such
                                              >>> as mana,
                                              >>> chance does
                                              > there
                                              >>> might be
                                              >>> they aired some
                                              >>> Exodus was a
                                              >>>

                                              >>> I don't (regretfully) recall when or where I heard it... but I
                                              > know
                                              >>> that some scientists believe that the Exodus indeed happened,
                                              > though
                                              >>> the somewhat differently than the Bible reports. "Manna" is
                                              > thought
                                              >> > to be the product of some kind of insect. The insect would
                                              >> > excrete some kind of carbonhydrate rich substance during the
                                              >> > night. Until morning, the substance had dried to a solid form,
                                              >> > like dry snowflakes which the Isrealites then collected.
                                              >> >
                                              >> > Before I close this post, I want to thank you all for the warm
                                              >> > welcome and the reading suggestions. :)
                                              >> >
                                              >> > Greetings,
                                              >> > Barbara
                                              >>
                                              >> Leave it to science to transform Mana from Heaven to bug dung. :-)
                                              >>
                                              >> Regards
                                              >> --
                                              >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                                              >

                                              > Well, y'all got me interested, and I found this webpage supporting
                                              > Barbara's explanation (the scientific explanation is about 3/4 down
                                              > the page):
                                              >
                                              > http://www.jhom.com/topics/bread/manna.html
                                              >

                                              > Cari

                                              And it confirms the bug dung too. :-)