Inspired Music

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1 6:30 PM

      As summer approaches, I find myself with less and less time, but one thing I HAVE found time for is listening during my daily commute to a new CD I picked up recently.  Having enjoyed a couple singles off the album since last summer, I had wanted Jack Johnson’s Brushfire Fairytales for a while now, and am ever so glad I finally got it.

      Maybe I relate to the Hawaiian-raised surfer’s music because I, too, am an island native (different ocean, though).  But since that sort of genre doesn’t usually appeal to me, I think the deeper connection may lie elsewhere.  I’m not saying this is some definitive, Gnostic album, but some of the lyrics really do have a philosophical bent.

      Anyone interested can preview the songs here:

      http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/albums/2000_brushfirefairytales.aspx

      . . . or check out the lyrics on this page:

      http://www.jackjohnsonmusic.com/albums/2000_brushfirefairytales_lyrics.aspx

      In the first track, “Inaudible Melodies,” the artist goes so far as to refer to Plato’s cave in pointing out how people often tend to miss the bigger picture.

      In “Middle Man,” we get a taste of Archontic influences in the subject’s life, along with the resulting confusion—something many of us can probably relate to while feeling “stuck in the middle” between ignorant bliss and aspirations of enlightened detachment.

      “Drink the Water” contains some brilliant imagery that could easily capture our struggle with getting caught up in the illusion of this world, and ultimately with our desire to be reunified with our true source.

      Even “The News” can be seen as a poignant lesson in overcoming the woes of our temporal existence.

      However I may end up interpreting the lyrics, the music really strikes a chord within me.  It makes me feel as if I’ve been reacquainted with an old friend whom I had somehow forgotten—a sensation, BTW, that I’ve relished numerous times since first learning of Gnosticism.

      Perhaps others have been similarly moved by music that they can relate to a Gnostic perspective.  If so, I’m sure a critical review would be appreciated by other members as well.

      Gerry

    • Ann Marie Long
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3 4:34 AM
        If any of you guys use Easynews Newsgroups to download music and burn
        cds , this cd is posted in its entirety. It's on the complete album
        group. Just thought I would let you know.