Thanks

  • cwbyspike
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2003
      Thanks everyone for giving us the info on St Thomas as it has to do
      with the "sexism" issue. With this exception, I like the rest of the
      book. Even though I am not a woman's libber I am going to believe
      that some idiot added those verses hundreds of years later.

      Those far-right religious people are always saying that the bible
      never counterdicts itself. That just shows that they haven't read
      it. If they did, they would notice how, especially Paul,
      counterdicts the belief of Jesus and the other apostles. Although he
      did a lot of good in organizing the church, I think that he deserved
      his final fate.

      I believe the scholars who chose which books that were to go into the
      Bible, chose them not on what we should believe, but on the basis of
      giving us a variety of literature for us to choose from. This is
      just like in senior English literature class in high school we were
      given a hodge podge of writings from many American authors.

      We have Jesus who said salvation comes from good works, then Paul who
      says works have nothing to do with it -- faith alone is what you have
      to have. Jesus says preachers should have a vow of poverty, Paul
      saying preachers should be paid well. It just goes on and on that
      way.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22, 2003

        Reply to Cwbyspike’s post #7821:

        >>Thanks everyone for giving us the info on St Thomas as it has to do with the "sexism" issue. With this exception, I like the rest of the
        book. Even though I am not a woman's libber I am going to believe
        that some idiot added those verses hundreds of years later.<<

        I hope that the link I provided in my previous post will help you view that verse in a new light.  Wisdom wasn't meant to be rummaged through, tossing bits and pieces aside as we see fit.  Sometimes, that which initially vexes us eventually becomes most meaningful.

        >>I believe the scholars who chose which books that were to go into the Bible, chose them not on what we should believe, but on the basis of giving us a variety of literature for us to choose from. This is
        just like in senior English literature class in high school we were
        given a hodge podge of writings from many American authors.<<

        Actually, considering how much material never made it into the Bible, not to mention the heretical content of those books, I'd have to say that the Bible was hardly meant to provide us a smörgåsbord of spiritual appetizers.  The following link gives an idea of the process involved in determining what made the cut . . . and what didn't:

        http://www.westarinstitute.org/Periodicals/4R_Articles/Canon/canon.html

        >>We have Jesus who said salvation comes from good works, then Paul who says works have nothing to do with it -- faith alone is what you have to have. Jesus says preachers should have a vow of poverty, Paul saying preachers should be paid well. It just goes on and on that
        way.<<

        You could probably find Gnostics who took issue with each of the above.